• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Servicing a VSF Submariner...

e60london

Horology Curious
10/9/20
I want to have a VSF sub serviced when it arrives, but wondered if it would be reasonable to ask the watchmaker to fit a gen crystal and charge it as part of the service. Would that be reasonable to ask or is it two serperate charges - 1 for the service and another for replacing the crystal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
If you were a watchmaker, would you donate an hour of your time for free? For a regular, well-paying customer, perhaps. But otherwise... There lies your answer.

e60london

Horology Curious
10/9/20
Fair enough. I think I need to respect & value their time more

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
You could demand to see the manager ( now ) inform this person who you are and the future business you will contribute to their store on transactions going forward as you just entered the REP marked. Im sure this will grant you a cost free service and X-tal swap along with a free appraisal for a sale down the line.

Good luck

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
Just the cyclops could be harder and might not be the best outcome, better get the whole crystal

sent from middle earth

stevier88

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
16/12/19
U.K
As a self employed company director I can confirm yes I do enjoy working for nothing and will often not invoice random customers for work to be carried out. That’s just me though.

just out of curiosity will you require your watchmaker to remove the gen cyclops and place it on your rep Crystal or replace the entire rep Crystal with a gen?

e60london

Horology Curious
10/9/20
As a self employed company director I can confirm yes I do enjoy working for nothing and will often not invoice random customers for work to be carried out. That’s just me though.

just out of curiosity will you require your watchmaker to remove the gen cyclops and place it on your rep Crystal or replace the entire rep Crystal with a gen?

Fair enough. Yes this work should totally be paid for and appreciated. I was thinking more along the line of paying hours worked being billed at a fixed hourly rate as opposed to: in the hour I had the watch I serviced it and added the crystal you supplied that’ll be £350 please.

What would you charge for a service and a gen crystal install?

Koric

Known Member
4/6/18
Would you complain to your mechanic he is not doing anything while the oil is draining and to rotate your tires for free?

​​​​​​

e60london

Horology Curious
10/9/20
Would you complain to your mechanic he is not doing anything while the oil is draining and to rotate your tires for free?

​​​​​​

Point noted. I understand guys, my bad

TLW77

Known Member
22/6/20
Are you sure you are exchanging cyclops and not the crystal?