• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Case-Back Wrench Set

Muskandar

9/8/17
CONUS
I’m in the market for a case-back wrench set for Rolex cases.

I was just about to purchase this set off eBay, but I decided to ask you guys first.

Are these a waste of money?
Granted I know how to use a case-back wrench... will these chew the back of my watch up?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363095120189

Reactions: macarone

Muskandar

9/8/17
CONUS
I got the case wrench set yesterday. It works fine. Just gotta be careful with it when applying pressure. Gotta make sure the teeth are set properly before turning.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: p0pperini

Koric

Known Member
4/6/18
I also have that set. I'm wondering how tight I need to torque it when I close the case?

Aphung2

Supporter
Certified
6/4/20
CA, US
Using these cheap case wrenches will make it VERY easy to mark the caseback. I personally don’t recommend them.

I much, much prefer the use of a sticky ball for the occasional hobbyist. It can still be torqued to get the caseback sufficiently tight to crush the gasket and ensure water resistance. And you won’t mark your watch.

The gasket is what is responsible for making your watch water resistant, not metal on metal!

Muskandar

9/8/17
CONUS
The sticky ball works when the caseback is already loose, but when the caseback has been tightened by a watchmaker your gonna need the wrench to get it off.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Using these cheap case wrenches will make it VERY easy to mark the caseback. I personally don’t recommend them.
I don’t know which cheap set you’re referring to, but I expect they’re all similar if not identical and I have never had any problem with the set I got (branded “Hedapai” IIRC). So, I do recommend them. I guess it comes down to whether you’re lucky and/or particularly ham-fisted. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ex-ki

Muskandar

9/8/17
CONUS
I don’t know which cheap set you’re referring to, but I expect they’re all similar if not identical and I have never had any problem with the set I got (branded “Hedapai” IIRC). So, I do recommend them. I guess it comes down to whether you’re lucky and/or particularly ham-fisted. :)

The brand I purchased was Hedapai as well.
other brands I have seen are Huaxing and Tianjiu.

Ex-ki

I'm Pretty Popular
8/9/12
France
The brand I purchased was Hedapai as well.
other brands I have seen are Huaxing and Tianjiu.

I have had a Huaxing kit for 5 or 6 years. No scratches on any of the watches I disassembled so far.

In addition to the kit, I got a round handle for better grip.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muskandar

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
Palm Beach
I have had the Hedapai brand for more than three years and just now the largest dye has started to slowly slip if not enough pressure is applied. Might be cheap but it has been great since day one.

Ex-ki

I'm Pretty Popular
8/9/12
France
you like the round handle better?

Yes. Easier to use the dies with the round handle if you grab your case holder in your other hand.
If I put the case holder in a vise the long handle is more appropriate.

Aphung2

Supporter
Certified
6/4/20
CA, US

Good to know! I had bought a “tianjiu” brand and have had very bad experiences with them slipping and not gripping the caseback teeth properly, no matter how carefully I tried to use it. Thanks for the insight.

Muskandar

9/8/17
CONUS
Good to know! I had bought a “tianjiu” brand and have had very bad experiences with them slipping and not gripping the caseback teeth properly, no matter how carefully I tried to use it. Thanks for the insight.

I’m sorry to hear that. I cringe every time a case back wrench slips!
Do you have a case holder to mount the watch head?

Aphung2

Supporter
Certified
6/4/20
CA, US
I’m sorry to hear that. I cringe every time a case back wrench slips!
Do you have a case holder to mount the watch head?

That’s ok! And it is for sure one of the cringiest sounds.

I do have a caseholder and definitely find it vital to be able to leverage a casewrench tool properly. I just personally didn’t have a good experience with the $15 set I bought off eBay, even with the caseholder. Ever since then I have solely relied on a rubber ball. If I were to hypothetically work on my watches more often or especially somebody else’s watch, I would make the investment in a higher quality tool.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
BTW, recently I needed to open a caseback that I didn't have the right sized metal head for, so I bought a case back suction cup wrench from Cousins (UK). I got the handle (product code C48844) and two dies - 40mm and 45mm (C47926 and C47925). It cost about £34, and so far the rubber suction cups have gripped and opened/closed every caseback I've used it on. Because the surface of the die is rubber, there's zero chance of damage to the caseback.

So effectively this has now replaced my Hedapai set (unless I come across a caseback that resists the suction cup method!).

c48844_cmyk1.jpg

c47925_pic1_cmyk1.jpg

Muskandar

9/8/17
CONUS
BTW, recently I needed to open a caseback that I didn't have the right sized metal head for, so I bought a case back suction cup wrench from Cousins (UK). I got the handle (product code C48844) and two dies - 40mm and 45mm (C47926 and C47925). It cost about £34, and so far the rubber suction cups have gripped and opened/closed every caseback I've used it on. Because the surface of the die is rubber, there's zero chance of damage to the caseback.

So effectively this has now replaced my Hedapai set (unless I come across a caseback that resists the suction cup method!).

c48844_cmyk1.jpg

c47925_pic1_cmyk1.jpg

this is awesome, thank you sharing. I'm definitely gonna get one of these.

Ex-ki

I'm Pretty Popular
8/9/12
France

c48844_cmyk1.jpg

c47925_pic1_cmyk1.jpg

Very interesting, thanks for the info p0pperini

Reactions: p0pperini