• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Today we tested all the popular SUBs for 904L steel

Wanpi

Looking Around
18/5/13
so, all the case/case back of zz are 316? what a shit factory....

Subdued

20/11/19
Fair enough but it feels more like... everyone knows 1to1 moniker is bullshit, it's just an identifier for (highest grade available)

But saying it has "xyz" when it doesn't is more straightforward deception

Yeah i got your point mate. But don't you think it's kinda ironic we talk about deception and misrepresentation in a Replica forum? I don't think we can legitemize an illegal business to start with. :)

Futzorr

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/8/19
EU
Here below is a chart that shows the difference between 316L and 904L steel.
Z38h6J.png

""
Lastly, I have a friend in the metal industry. I talked to him about these type of steel and he did confirm what puretime stated earlier - about needing specialized equipment to make 904L due to it being much harder than 316L

I am not saying above statement is a lie. I'm not working in the steel industry and is merely replying back what my friend told me. If you compare to the chart below, the 904L has a higher grade of chromium, a lot more nickel and even copper which is not included in the 316L. "

Um, not to be too nitpicky
Actually this entire thread is nitpicky, so: 904L steel is not harder; it's less hard than 316L. Your own chart shows that.

I only bring it up because I was under the impression that the 904L is harder until today's big kerfuffle.

But it's not harder, are you saying your friend said it's because it's harder or your friend said they need specialized equipment for some other reason?

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough and I fully understand the confusing. The chart above are the max. values and not the average value. If therefor depend entirely on the exact composition used and also how the SS metal is executed.
As stated before, I don't personally work in the steel industry. My post was merely a summary of the conversation me and my friend had.

When this is said, after Mikey beat me to the test of the metal used on ZZF I have written to my TD and asked if I could change my order. I highly doubt I would be able to tell the difference, but I simply do not wish to support a factory who deliberately lies about their product - this being a replica or not.

Mwahahaha! AND THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE!!!

Not sure if you're just trying to get your post count up or you're always like this. But I hope your remaining time on RWI will give something valuable to the community.

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Well, no one replied to my comment before, my question was:

If there are watches that mount 904l cases and bracelets, but 316l clasps, how is it that no one EVER noticed the difference in color between different parts of the same watch?

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020 and Kalev007

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
Well personallyI've not had any of the watches in question.but other people that have had these so called 904 watches that have a 316 clasp most people won't notice the difference.most cant see the difference anyway .I can personally and made a comparison pic thread showing the 904 of one of my gen subs vs the 316 of one of my gen black bays .the last rep sub c I brought was the zzf v1 and it was full 904 ,I've ordered a vsf and that is fully 904. and I've got a zzf v3 coming soon and that is the 316 culprit apparently so I'm looking to compare it to my gens and review it with vsf and gen

Last edited:
Reactions: rolexppapfan

Futzorr

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/8/19
EU
Well personallyI've not had any of the watches in question.but other people that have had these so called 904 watches that have a 316 clasp most people won't notice the difference.most cant see the difference anyway .I can personally and made a comparison pic thread showing the 904 of one of my gen subs vs the 316 of one of my gen black bays .the last rep sub c I brought was the zzf v1 and it was full 904 ,I've ordered a vsf and that is fully 904. and I've got a zzf v3 coming soon and that is the 316 culprit apparently so I'm looking to compare it to my gens and review it with vsf and gen

Looking forward to your comparison.
Also PM incoming ;-)

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think

Nice, let's see how it goes!

Reactions: kennygconspiracy

Neo_Goku1

Horology Curious
26/9/20
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough and I fully understand the confusing. The chart above are the max. values and not the average value. If therefor depend entirely on the exact composition used and also how the SS metal is executed.
As stated before, I don't personally work in the steel industry. My post was merely a summary of the conversation me and my friend had.

When this is said, after Mikey beat me to the test of the metal used on ZZF I have written to my TD and asked if I could change my order. I highly doubt I would be able to tell the difference, but I simply do not wish to support a factory who deliberately lies about their product - this being a replica or not.

Not sure if you're just trying to get your post count up or you're always like this. But I hope your remaining time on RWI will give something valuable to the community.

Yeah, me and 3 other guys pointed out your contradictory statement already about the hardness disparity between yours and others statements in the past. I have contributed by pointing this out to you several posts back before 3 other members called you out on it. No need to point fingers at ME for actually pointing to the facts according to your own evidence you provided.
If you read in context this discussion you would know i've made some bold statements already regarding this topic.

Edit- also 70-90HRC is not a max value for 904L hardness. Its a mean estimate which is still lower than 316L's max hardness. However, there is no way in hell that the hardness in our rep watches are anywhere near that number. My estimate in my personal opinion is the majority of 316L steel on the market in steel from China is about 40HRC and 904L 30HRC, based on my own tests with hardness scratch pens.

Last edited:

cosmicgate

16/9/13
Well i already suspected that zzf wasnt using 904.The test just confirmed my suspicion.

Send my regards to Liu.

Saturns

Known Member
3/6/20

I thought VSF hasn’t been confirmed as fully 904? Only ARF and ZF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flinnt

Known Member
31/5/19
Downunder
What a ride. Thanks to all involved.

What I’ve learnt so far:

-every government on earth has joined forces to run a conspiracy where they throw their economies down the toilet and lose copious amounts of votes so they can give you a vaccine...which they could’ve given you anyway without destroying themselves.

-every hospital worldwide is murdering people, some at industrial scale and using the military to cart the bodies away, because every individual that works there just loves their government so much and will do their bidding even to the point of mass murder and suicide.

-No business ever has had an exclusive contract. Oh and given this I’m starting a time share purchase of a F-22 Raptor. PM me for your share.

-There’s going to be a sword fight over who can be pissed on by Tucker. Can I watch?...the sword fight, not the pissing. Chinese swords are best...something to do with the steel I hear. People say Japanese steel is supreme but you can tell it’s inferior...all their swords are bent!

-Angus offering to send all watches to some RWI member to verify the results isn’t independent enough as he might swap the stickers on the watches...therefore RWI members can’t actually tell any difference between the watches and yet want to know which is the best sub.

And if I don’t contribute I should be banned so here’s my revolutionary contribution:

I live next to the ocean and every stainless steel appliance and hardware in my house that was made in China has rusted, except my rep watches. None of the hardware made of Aussie stainless steel has rusted. So Chinese rep watches are made from Aussie steel. How’s that for factories misleading you...mic drop.

Why is it I always come here when I’ve been drinking?

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13

I thought Angus said they were all fully 904 apart from zzf v3? Maybe I miss read what Angus said

Last edited:

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13

I thought Angus said they were all fully 904 apart from zzf v3? Maybe I miss read what Angus said