• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Today we tested all the popular SUBs for 904L steel

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
Didnt you compare zzf with gen sub? And you didnt notice the difference in "color"?

Also for your above statement you are a real retard.

You the retarded sheep read the government stats released by the cdc,and sage uk gov etc etc read the official info on pcr testing false positives, now Be a good lil boy and roll up your sleeve for uncle Bills parting gift to you and yes I did compare the v1 to the gen and that's why I stated the v1 is 904 you brainwashed globalistic idiot

Last edited:

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
I'm not the one believing in dumb conspiracy theories like a retard.
Wake up karen Your a sheep I believe in facts only so shut up dummy and keep wearing your slave mask smh

If u want to chat ,chat via pm cos this is off topic .now back to zzf lieing about there materials

Last edited:

McPeace

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/9/20
I was not judging you but stating a fact that I learned from my less than 20 years of (successful) business operation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh well. Yes. Sure. Not worth commenting any further ...

Anyway - I prefer to wait for not ZF-sponsored (and potentially biase) „tests“, but really independent ones.

mascob1

6/11/16
The cost of each case is not significant but if you want to use 904 for your case and you need to buy a lot of 904 steel rods but every time you only use a little so the small factories don’t want to do this. The case/bracelet factories usually have a lot of 316L inventory so the makers don’t have to buy 316L steel stocks.

Plus not every factory is capable of making 904 parts because it needs some special tools and machines.

Sorry Angus, I don't want to contradict you, but as I am a metal worker, if a factory can machining 316 L SS, it can machining 904L. Hardness of each alloy is not really signifiant ( a ltitle bit harder for 904L). Just a chimical difference ( more cobalt in 904L). Nothing justifies machines or tools change...

puretime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
16/3/06
Sorry Angus, I don't want to contradict you, but as I am a metal worker, if a factory can machining 316 L SS, it can machining 904L. Hardness of each alloy is not really signifiant ( a ltitle bit harder for 904L). Just a chimical difference ( more cobalt in 904L). Nothing justifies machines or tools change...

Sorry I am not in the industry so I am not sure, but the makers told me this.

mascob1

6/11/16
Sorry I am not in the industry so I am not sure, but the makers told me this.

Don't worry I understand. For me it's more a question of cost...904L is sometime 4× more expensive than 316L...I think it's a good reason to continue to use 316L...

McPeace

13/9/20
It is the same makers that told you this that have been sponsoring this test? Hmmm ...

Reactions: mari115

rolexppapfan

Renowned Member
17/11/18
ITALY
From all of this, I can say that Angus and PureTime are the best as they have taken the responsibility to show us the truth. In a way, it doesn't matter if the maker lies (i guess they lied to all the TDs so all the TDS are in a loss). Its the responsibility of the seller to say the truth and advertise the watch for what it is. So let's hope from now on every Td will check the watches(of course not each and every single 1) and sell them for what they really are and if the factories lie then the TDs should return the watch and nobody should deal with that factory!

Shany

24/6/19
e3aca737e6cc097f59cd3865e8c509b4.jpg

Gen Vs zzf v2

Little difference Can be seen, but this can be Seen with a ARF Piece Aswell
324166f41926e1b73ff0f7199fbc9115.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Darkness5.0

7/8/20
Well this was an interesting read ... I have a V2S or V3 ZZF latest batch on the way and not gonna lie I am disappointed. I have an ARF V3 currently getting modded and glad I did not sell .. lol
Now I will not be using the bracelet or clasp of the ZZF as I am using a rubber band but seems like from what I gathered the case is also 316?

Shany

24/6/19
The Question is, did they Test it for 316 ? Or just tested it for 904 ? I dont know about metal Testing but i have 316 Steel Rep and its definitly Not Same Color as zzf.

Zzf is brighter than 316

puretime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
16/3/06
The Question is, did they Test it for 316 ? Or just tested it for 904 ? I dont know about metal Testing but i have 316 Steel Rep and its definitly Not Same Color as zzf.

Zzf is brighter than 316

The metal gun shows the composition of the metal, and displays whatever the metal is.

Futzorr

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/8/19
EU
Here below is a chart that shows the difference between 316L and 904L steel.

I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference between 316 and 904 unless having both side by side and comparing them under the perfect lighting. Apparently 316L is able to corrode more easily than 904L (haven't found a source to confirm this beside Rolex stating this is why they switched). However, seeing that most people won't use their reps in water, I don't really see this as an issue (for most people).

My biggest concern regarding this, is the "lying" about using a material that's not being used. - HOWEVER, it is not clear which version of ZZF puretime used. He merely stated he used the newest version he had available and could not verify the codes on the watch so we could verify if or not the watch was indeed a V2 or V3.

When that is said, it's also important to bear in mind that these companies are all competitors - and even though they are all "friendly" towards each other, they are still competitors. In the real world of business, when a competitor does poorly your sales most likely rises. Money talks - regardless of how friendly people are.

Lastly, I have a friend in the metal industry. I talked to him about these type of steel and he did confirm what puretime stated earlier - about needing specialized equipment to make 904L due to it being much harder than 316L

I am not saying above statement is a lie. I'm not working in the steel industry and is merely replying back what my friend told me. If you compare to the chart below, the 904L has a higher grade of chromium, a lot more nickel and even copper which is not included in the 316L.

Disclaimer: I have bought the ZZF V3. However I have never owned a ZZF product before and don't see myself biased. I will however when I get the watch have it tested at my friends work place and post the results here with pictures as proof.

Kayatsu1

12/10/19
Disclaimer: I have bought the ZZF V3. However I have never owned a ZZF product before and don't see myself biased. I will however when I get the watch have it tested at my friends work place and post the results here with pictures as proof.

Thank you! Multiple sources of information can only be beneficial.

Last edited: