• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Finally! After 20 Months, My Super Franken Hulk

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Some of you are familiar with my posts over the years re: the Hulk. The infamous green dial (love it or leave it) captured my fancy not long after I joined RWI. After purchasing an ARF and early VRF version, I was settled on having a Super Franken - and it took only 20 months to get it all together.

I'll say right off the bat, the photos are not great, and do not do the insert color (nor the watch) justice! Along with the dial, it truly makes the Hulk - it changes from emerald green to apple green so easily you have to wonder what miracle powder they put into the mix (it's gold, isn't it?). I was not fortunate enough to get a Rolex dial. Just getting these parts together took me just upwards of 5K, which in today's market, still seems like a bargain! Since Rolex announced it's discontinuation this month, the jump in price means I have a "close second" to the real Rolex at about 25% of the cost.

It was assembled by the master Miskipied, and is waterproofed to 10 Bars.

Base is Noob 7 case, ARF bracelet, CF dial. PLUS:

1). Rolex 3135 movement

2). Rolex bezel, insert and click springs

3) . Rolex crystal

4). Rolex hands

5). Rolex datewheel

6). Rolex tube and crown.
Ooops! Hit "post" before I included the photos - which are next.....

Last edited:

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Before anyone else points it out, yes, I am aware of the "wonky X" on the dial. The dial was the last hold-out prior to final assembly, and I agonized for months - should I get another? Should I wait for a BP and have the markers swapped? On and on....

In the end, I decided that I could live with the wonky X, liked that the indices of the CF were more gen-like; I came to the conclusion that I had enough $ in it already, and just wanted the darned thing assembled and back in my hands so I could enjoy it!!

Reactions: Mathias_J

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
What happened to the pearl on the insert?

The pearl is flat and broken. I got the bezel and the insert for a great price from a very reputable seller. The Rolex watch it came off of must have been in a serious accident - the bezel was heavily damaged in one area, and the pearl was as well. If you look really closely, you can see where the bezel damage occurred. JonJ is a master and did a beautiful job of smoothing out the damage. If you don't know it's there, it's hard to see.

I could have spent a fortune to get a gen pearl, but as occb2 pointed out to me, it is easily damaged anyways with everyday use. So I left it as it is. I didn't care if it's not an out-of-the-box franken - as long as it's as authentic as I can get for the money spent.

Last edited:

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Shot of date window and crown guards - mostly to show the latter...

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Very nice watch! Congrats, it's great to know you are complete with a rep and can just enjoy it now. Well done.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Congratulations on the conclusion of a marathon project. And it’s always nice to know you’ve now got a very high quality Franken of a now discontinued and meteorically appreciating gen!

MambaMentality60

8/24
Certified
30/5/20
Australia
Fantastic build mate! Looking into doing a light franken Hulk also. Can I ask what the part numbers for the crown and tube is?

k94n99

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/3/20
Great build!! Out of curiosity, what is the size of your wrist? Looking to purchase a Submariner myself and have a similar sized wrist by the looks of it.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
Beautiful, no I’m angry lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
sfgerl Congratulations!! Looks amazing on your wrist, This is a quality build. Enjoy in good health.

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Well done! How did you come to focus on acquiring the movement? I like it.

Almost two years ago, one of our members had the watch for sale here with the 3135 movement for a good price, so I got it. It was a Noob 7 on ARF bracelet, and the insert had a platinum mod. Then later on a gen insert/bezel assembly came up on eBay and I got that. When the CF dial came out, I liked the indices on that so got it. Then of course I needed the Rolex retaining ring and click springs... More $.... I would have loved to have a Rolex dial, but even if I was able to source one, it was at least another 2K.

I went down the rabbit hole over the dial, hemmed and hawed about whether to keep the CF or not, and in the end just wanted it done to wear and enjoy!

Funny enough, now that I have the watch on my wrist, I don't obsess about the dial anymore. Just like the insert, there is nothing exactly like it unless it's from TRF! I am awestruck by the beauty of the insert, there is no rep that truly does it justice - the color is amazing. Winding the watch is as smooth as silk, and the bezel movement is awesome - very smooth with high-pitched clicks, unlike the reps. The gen bezel assembly was well worth the $ spent.

misiekped replaced 3 rusted parts in the movement, assembled everything, and waterproofed it for me.