• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF VS3135 Submariner Comparison Against the Gen

Esaelias

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/12/18
Hmm thanks for posting I think mine was the new bracelet ..... i think the newer batches I think with the Qc I seen from Mirotime.... the hour hand is thinner / rehaut is better and has the new batch bracelet and thinner datewheel... geektime has good rehaut/ new bracelet/ thick dateweel and thick hour hands.... I think it’s different batches

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
Hmm thanks for posting I think mine was the new bracelet ..... i think the newer batches I think with the Qc I seen from Mirotime.... the hour hand is thinner / rehaut is better and has the new batch bracelet and thinner datewheel... geektime has good rehaut/ new bracelet/ thick dateweel and thick hour hands.... I think it’s different batches

Yeah basically, mine is a hybrid of the old and new - good DW and new bracelet, but fat hour hand and wrong "R" in the rehaut. The newest of the new batch has the good DW, thinner hour hand, better rehaut (I won't say perfected lol), and the new bracelet.

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
I genuinely can't tell if I have the updated hand or not. Someone wanna chime in?
Z86QtP.png

Last edited:

Koric

Known Member
4/6/18
Did you read that or is this an observation(?) as I have both gen and VSF here and standing at a window in daylight the metal of the hands and indices is the same bright white silver colour.

My observation. If you scroll up, that is my VSF that I modded myself and I'm wearing it.

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
I think yours may be the fatter one. Someone here called mine fat. Here is a Pic of mine

All I can tell you is I compared it to my ARF YM 116622 and the Mercedes hand is the same size. So I am going to have to say I don't think so? Also your comparison pic is really hard to gauge, the proportions of one picture is bigger than the other...

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
All I can tell you is I compared it to my ARF YM 116622 and the Mercedes hand is the same size. So I am going to have to say I don't think so? Also your comparison pic is really hard to gauge, the proportions of one picture is bigger than the other...

I am not 100% sure. In fact, I am not even 100% sure if mine is fat lol. If you look at this gen Pic, yours looks just like it:

JohnLukeNY

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Patron
17/12/20
US
This was a double post, not sure what I did. Trying to figure out how to delete it entirely ...

Last edited:

JohnLukeNY

Patron
17/12/20
US
I have a specific question about my VSF 116610 LN QC pictures below: the numbers on the date wheel seem to be off centered to the left. It might be just the angle which the photos were taken from, but it looks like 18 and 27 are pushed to the left, while 3 is somehow centered.

My question is this: as I plan to switch to a gen DW as soon as the rep gets here, should I be worried about the eventual misalignment on the DW? I am not even close to be a watch expert, but my reasoning is the rep DW was printed incorrectly, but once I replace it with a gen one, the problem is fixed. Or is it a possibility that the watch build pushed the DW to the left, therefore leaving me with the same problem once the gen DW is installed?

What do more seasoned members of the forum and watch experts think? Can you please help?

The rest of the watch, for the most part, looks fine to me, even if I the 7GJ mark on the clasp (Rolex engraving quite awful) seems to indicate I got an "old" batch.

Many thanks for your help.

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
JohnLukeNY

Looking at the rehaut (first "R" above the 1 marker) your watch is not from the old batch. It has the improved rehaut. Also your hour hand looks like it's from the thinner batch.

Regarding the bracelet (based on today's information) the easiest way to tell if yours is from the new batch is to see the end link. New bracelet doesn't have a screw. Old batch has it on the endlink above the clasp.

I am not experienced enough to comment on the DW issue you're pointing out though.

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19

So there's definitely a hand difference, mine is on the right, latest batch on the left. Sucks but does it really matter? I don't know, it seems like some gens have this hand thickness too. Thankfully my bracelet is from the new batch. Shrug.

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
I have a specific question about my VSF 116610 LN QC pictures below: the numbers on the date wheel seem to be off centered to the left. It might be just the angle which the photos were taken from, but it looks like 18 and 27 are pushed to the left, while 3 is somehow centered.

Some of that will be the angle but yes the VSF datewheel does have some slightly off centre dates a little towards the left like 1/2 a mm. Most noticeable on the "20" and "22" I find. Its still OK if you look at it in real life you cant really tell.

Honestly its one of the best rep DWs that has ever come out imho so a slight < 1mm off centre is fine for a $400 rep. If you replace it with a gen DW this will fix it otherwise your watchsmith may be able to move the DW a tiny tiny bit to the right to centre it better. This is really nickpicking though.

As long as the Dates are not touching the border of the window or majorly misaligned you will never find a perfect DW alignment. Even gens have issues.

JohnLukeNY

Patron
17/12/20
US
Thank you peterpl and sukwonee much appreciated help.

The problem with being an ignoramus suddenly exposed to knowledge by a billion pages forum, is that you soon start asking yourself questions. With questions come doubts. With doubts come hunger for further knowledge.

Unless you're on a time schedule and you need an answer right away... :lol::thanks:

Esaelias

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/12/18

My question is this: as I plan to switch to a gen DW as soon as the rep gets here, should I be worried about the eventual misalignment on the DW? I am not even close to be a watch expert, but my reasoning is the rep DW was printed incorrectly, but once I replace it with a gen one, the problem is fixed. Or is it a possibility that the watch build pushed the DW to the left, therefore leaving me with the same problem once the gen DW is installed?

What do more seasoned members of the forum and watch experts think? Can you please help?

The rest of the watch, for the most part, looks fine to me, even if I the 7GJ mark on the clasp (Rolex engraving quite awful) seems to indicate I got an "old" batch.

Many thanks for your help.

post your engraving

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
Z88uJD.jpg

So there's definitely a hand difference, mine is on the right, latest batch on the left. Sucks but does it really matter? I don't know, it seems like some gens have this hand thickness too. Thankfully my bracelet is from the new batch. Shrug.

There is a difference but honestly, there are many gens that have hands like ours. I forgot the name of the member here that posted a Pic of his gen hands before installing them on his watch. The hour hand looked exactly like ours. So I am very confused overall as to which is right.
​​​​
One theory I have is that the gen hands indeed have similar thickness as the thicker VSF hour hand but because it's more 3D and curved, at certain angles and lighting, it looks thinner.

As soon as covid is over, I am making friends with someone that owns a gen locally so I can do a side by side comparison lol

Last edited:

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
There is a difference but honestly, there are many gens that have hands like ours. I forgot the name of the member here that posted a Pic of his gen hands before installing them on his watch. The hour hand looked exactly like ours. So I am very confused overall as to which is right.

I think just like there's different variances of gen date wheel sizes, cyclops AR coating colors, and fonts on dial, the same thing goes with these hands... Rolex just switches it up.

Last edited: