• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF VS3135 Submariner Comparison Against the Gen

Dissemination

Renowned Member
15/6/19
San Jose, CA
I just spent the last hour finishing an ARF 116610 bracelet that I bought for my zzf hulk. I have been finishing it with a leather belt, shaving the leather with the edges of the links nice and soft.. now it feels much more genuine like. I'll be using this bracelet on the vsf hulk I have on preorder..

The finish and feel of the bracelet is much of how the whole watch feels, the watch head is just a weight, its the bracelet that needs to feel right. I have this just right with the arf bracelet.

Well you are the peanut butter to my jelly. Lmao. I really need to learn how do this work myself too.

Totally agree about the bracelet... it has so much to do with how it looks and feels. I was just PMing with another member asking me about Frankens. Number one thing overlooked is the bracelet. Not only does it have so much to do with feel, but it also occupies more space than the watch head. Ignoring the bracelet is like going to a [insert formal occasion here] and getting a new haircut and tapering your beard but wearing an off the rack suit without getting tailored.

ryantunna

I'm Pretty Popular
8/7/14
I just spent the last hour finishing an ARF 116610 bracelet that I bought for my zzf hulk. I have been finishing it with a leather belt, shaving the leather with the edges of the links nice and soft.. now it feels much more genuine like. I'll be using this bracelet on the vsf hulk I have on preorder..

The finish and feel of the bracelet is much of how the whole watch feels, the watch head is just a weight, its the bracelet that needs to feel right. I have this just right with the arf bracelet.

My zzf bracelet felt tinny and sharp was broken within 2 weeks. Definitely cheapens the whole watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tete

4/11/16
I had a noob sub and zzf in the past and I can say that the feel and finishing of the vsf is way better. Can't speak about arf as I never had one. It is nice and soft. Finishing is amazing as well.

my Arf Op39 bracelet is almost perfect, it has no sharp edges and it feels very gen. The one on my ARF Dj41 Oyster is sharp as a knife and doesn't have the same feel. My Noob V6 and V7 bracelets don't have a good finish but they feel heavier and more robust. The ones on my old Zzf v2s were very similar to Arf Dj41, a bit sharp. And waiting for the VSF to arrive at my house. I believe that not only the factory influences but also the batches and the operator or machine that has manufactured it.

I also have an Ewf jubilee bracelet that I exchange with arf Dj41, it looks good but feels cheap with little weight and very very sharp

Last edited:
Reactions: Jayalvin777

7five7

31/12/19
I know I'm a little premature here, but has anyone tried to put a gen bezel on one of these? I was told by someone I'm inclined to believe that it isn't a great fit. I don't have more details due to English not being his native language.

Would an ARF bracelet fit? How does everyone feel about the VSF bracelet? (Thats my number one OCD question I basically ask about everything 0_o)

That would suck. I currently have my VSF getting a Gen Bezel installed so I hope that’s not the case!

I tried installing the ARF bracelet but did not have any luck. The spring bars would not engage properly and the SEL recess was off.

Reactions: Dissemination

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
Bloody EMS! The status of my watch has been "handed over to the airline transport" for 9 days. It's a 9 HOUR flight to AUS. I dont' think it's left the ground, yet. The waiting game is painful. VSF 3135 v2 will be out soon!... :cry:

MambaMentality60

8/24
Certified
30/5/20
Australia
Bloody EMS! The status of my watch has been "handed over to the airline transport" for 9 days. It's a 9 HOUR flight to AUS. I dont' think it's left the ground, yet. The waiting game is painful. VSF 3135 v2 will be out soon!... :cry:

Should arrive to Aus soon. Took mine 9 days after “handed over to airlines” to land in Sydney.

Dissemination

Renowned Member
15/6/19
San Jose, CA
That would suck. I currently have my VSF getting a Gen Bezel installed so I hope that’s not the case!

I tried installing the ARF bracelet but did not have any luck. The spring bars would not engage properly and the SEL recess was off.

Well report back when you find anything out! To the best of my knowledge, the person that told me that only tried with the bezel and not full bezel assembly. And it was in comparison to ARF. Again, not sure what exactly he meant by "not a great fit." As I had mentioned, there is a language barrier sometimes (he's Chinese).

Did you try different spring bars? Sometimes that is actually the solution.

7five7

31/12/19
Well report back when you find anything out! To the best of my knowledge, the person that told me that only tried with the bezel and not full bezel assembly. And it was in comparison to ARF. Again, not sure what exactly he meant by "not a great fit." As I had mentioned, there is a language barrier sometimes (he's Chinese).

Did you try different spring bars? Sometimes that is actually the solution.

I did try different spring bars, tried ARF and VSF spring bars which were a no go. Then tried some spare spring bars I had laying around but they are way to thin, everything engaged properly but SEL was way to loose.

Dissemination

Renowned Member
15/6/19
San Jose, CA
I did try different spring bars, tried ARF and VSF spring bars which were a no go. Then tried some spare spring bars I had laying around but they are way to thin, everything engaged properly but SEL was way to loose.

Ah, may need to swap sels then. Do you feel the ARF is much better than VSF bracelet?

Substar

16/9/20
Just received mine today and have to say VSF have set the
standard for Subc reps.

A few observations from handling both reps and gens of this model over the years.
What they have done well are finishing details like bracelet edge polishing(very first rep I don’t have to refinish sharp edges)
d52344a2a75982fa1b1a18678a2fda2f.jpg

7890bf7fdf275d8ddc4be54d17fbaf04.jpg

The clasp is very well finished too and the first in my eyes to really nail the smooth edge bevelling on the closer and clasp main body.
fc04712bf7aca84b85036d67c45b8e16.jpg

Case profile from lug to crown guard is excellent. Maybe the gap around the crown within the guards could be al little wider.
The insert is superb and the best rep I’ve seen so far and much better than Clean’s especially in low light. I’ve included some pics to show.
The crystal black hole effect is excellent and not far away from gen at all. Crystal edge profile is not the best sadly as it’s too sharp angled creating a strange edge distortion but it’s not massively noticeable in the scheme of things
9893535a7b2ff63d1d73b12de0b0fca5.jpg

94a616ded2ea8a41bee0551d2be774b0.jpg

896e19feedd001ff465705c4cac305e6.jpg

debf616096bb4775612581bc308ea4d7.jpg

197ba309a0803e5367070033c93bd062.jpg

d52354601ac5747551ff0696b4fcb5bc.jpg

Ignore the date as I’m a day out of sync!
Sels are nicely recessed and shaped although they do stick out a little too much and should have a more downward curved angle into the first link like ARF do so well. Bracelet needs cleaning and oiling but afterwards it feels good and not overly light or flimsy.
8d7c93afd6621a027cc505a523046a08.jpg

4b402b7b736d7610a27ee0b409788d7f.jpg

898bb340e6b3a006686e9602a70e664b.jpg

0bfb48287bb77f00292ec2ee2a3f387b.jpg

Dw is a fraction thicker than gen but it’s not far off the pre2015 datewheels.
The dial is very good with a perfect centre dimple. Hands are better in the flesh than some say but I do agree that ZZF’s hands are better. Lume is a very nice colour and strong when charged.
This is a great Sub at a great price and I don’t see anyone beating it any time soon. I hope they move onto the new 2020 series!
b9602e3937760049caeb80fa79e41789.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tete

4/11/16
Substar It shows that you are a great fan of sub and great connoisseur, and you know perfectly what you are talking about. I have never seen this level of finish on a Rolex rep, I hope the quality is just as good. Awesome Sub and very good review.

saucin

Renowned Member
20/4/20
Substar It shows that you are a great fan of sub and great connoisseur, and you know perfectly what you are talking about. I have never seen this level of finish on a Rolex rep, I hope the quality is just as good. Awesome Sub and very good review.

Couldn’t agree more. Very nice review [mention]Substar [/mention]. It’s well written comments/reviews/thoughts such as yours that make this forum a great place for all watch enthusiasts.

I’m very excited VSF is in the Rolex game and look forward to what is to come.

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
Substar Congrats, looks nice. The Subs are a little small for my wrist, but I'll have to get a V2 once they fix those rehaut letters.

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
Substar, nice summary and I’d agree with all the points you made. They are all the bits I liked about the watch myself. The winding of the movement was really nice too ?.

It felt well engineered all round. The turn of the bezel, unscrewing the crown, the winding and setting of the movement, The clasp opening and closing. If they improve the hands and the DW and maybe the rehaut I’ll snap one up again. A friend took mine off my hands, he likes it very much.

Untill then I’m done with 6 digit sub reps (as I was before ZZF released v1)

Reactions: Substar