• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF VS3135 Submariner Comparison Against the Gen

kluzik1

Known Member
14/3/18
Mine is the same when you pull out to time setting it requires an unnerving amount of force and sounds like it’s crunching. I had mine serviced and it still does it but watchmaker assured me movement good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so it’s not only me . I’m worry mostly that there is some tension which will cause some damage after a time

up2wind

Supporter
Certified
9/6/19
Sorry off topic. Anyone knows which member helps with clasp mod?

up2wind

Supporter
Certified
9/6/19
Some weeks ago after modernclassic got his 116610ln we discovered that somehow there were two types of vsf bracelets. I decided to source a bracelet to corroborate theory, my vsf its from September.

The theory that there are two type of bracelets might be true or simply there are better workers than others at the fsctory when it comes to brushing and finishing. Both bracelet have the gen like feeling and no sharp edges at all. On the new bracelet i sourced, im attaching pictures you can see that the screw on the top end link of the clasp its gone, also the coronet on the clasp seems to have been updated. Clasp action on the new bracelet is tigher. Engraving on the new bracelet its insanely better, engraving looks way more crips and with a delicate finish, the old its also good. Last thing i noticed is that the end mid link is way more sharper than the old bracelet. Hope anyone might find this information useful. Vsf bracelet was 140 $ of course you need a nice relationship with your td for him to source parts for you.
Z81Be4.jpg
Z81QtI.jpg
Z81lEc.jpg
Z81CHX.jpg
[

Just some reference about the bracelet and clasp.

below are the comparison with ARF and VSF bracelet. Quite surprise, arf over is abit longer than vsf.

Left ARF and right is VSF

ZlPFSP.jpg
ZlPSeW.jpg

Last edited:

swink6112

Known Member
15/7/20
Regarding the AR coating for the cyclop. Is it on the outside or inside? Will the action of us cleaning the xtal with a cloth actually scrub away the AR coating and eventually making the black hole effect less and less pronounce.

Sorry for the juvenile question but I don't want to accidentally scrub away the AR coating on the cyclop.

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
My understanding it that it's between the crystal and the cyclops on the 11X Subs, and on the 12X it's applied to the entire underside of the entire crystal. Others will correct if I'm wrong.

swink6112

Known Member
15/7/20
My understanding it that it's between the crystal and the cyclops on the 11X Subs, and on the 12X it's applied to the entire underside of the entire crystal. Others will correct if I'm wrong.

Thank you dear sir. You've released me from my OCD :p

Reactions: SS72

Spiral_Cabbage

12/2/18
Conus
Regarding the AR coating for the cyclop. Is it on the outside or inside? Will the action of us cleaning the xtal with a cloth actually scrub away the AR coating and eventually making the black hole effect less and less pronounce.

Sorry for the juvenile question but I don't want to accidentally scrub away the AR coating on the cyclop.

Well, actually the Gen and rnprof xtals for the 116610 has the AR right under the cyclops but also on top of the cyclops.
I have never had a problem with the Gen, but on the rnprof xtals, the AR will scratch or start to rub off after a while.

Now the big question. Do the VSF have the AR coating on the top of the cyclops?
If so, cleaning it will, sooner or later, get it scratched.

Either way, just be careful :)

Reactions: swink6112

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
I actually wonder how the black hole effect can be achieved without both sides of the Cyclops being AR coated.

Usually though, AR coating shouldn't be scratched off from normal cleaning. I have many eyeglasses with AR coating that I clean daily without scratching the coating (not to say it isn't impossible though)

swink6112

Known Member
15/7/20
I actually wonder how the black hole effect can be achieved without both sides of the Cyclops being AR coated.

Usually though, AR coating shouldn't be scratched off from normal cleaning. I have many eyeglasses with AR coating that I clean daily without scratching the coating (not to say it isn't impossible though)

Makes sense. I too have AR coating on my glasses and I've never baby it when cleaning. So far no AR coating has been scratch or came off. If this applies to the coating on the VSF cyclops then we're golden.

I've had my gen 116610LN for over five years now and the cyclops is still crystal clear. And I've never baby my gen either. It's built like a tank.

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
On a side note, I've returned two Tag Heuer watches to the AD due to scratched AR coating on the crystals. One was a $3K watch and the other $9K. They scratched easily, but that was over 10 years ago.

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
SS72 I read stories like this on Omega forums as well. I can see this happen on watch crystals more so than eyeglasses since people can bang their watches into things.

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
On a side note, I've returned two Tag Heuer watches to the AD due to scratched AR coating on the crystals. One was a $3K watch and the other $9K. They scratched easily, but that was over 10 years ago.

Tried the same thing with a Tag, had it for about 2 months before a scratch in the AR showed up

R3w1nd

Renowned Member
29/8/17
UK

Sounds about right.

Spiral_Cabbage

12/2/18
Conus

You do get some black hole effect with just the underside. I have had some rnprof xtals that I used scotch bright to remove the scratched outer AR on the cyclops. Not ideal but not bad either.

The AR on the cyclops is not the same as on your glasses. Unless it’s a Gen xtal, it will eventually rub or scratch off with cleaning. Even the AR on the bottom can be scratched when cleaning the bottom of the xtal.

Makes sense. I too have AR coating on my glasses and I've never baby it when cleaning. So far no AR coating has been scratch or came off. If this applies to the coating on the VSF cyclops then we're golden.

I've had my gen 116610LN for over five years now and the cyclops is still crystal clear. And I've never baby my gen either. It's built like a tank.

The AR on the Gen is very hardy and i was told that it has some sort of seal on it. I have had several Gen xtals and I have never had an issue. It better for being a $350 xtal :p

I think that the moral of the story is to just be easy on it.

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
SS72 I read stories like this on Omega forums as well. I can see this happen on watch crystals more so than eyeglasses since people can bang their watches into things.

For every guy complaining on an internet forum there's hundreds that don't have any issue. They just don't write posts with capital letters saying "MY AR COATING IS STILL GREAT AFTER 8 YEARS!".

All my gens have duoble side AR coating and I love it. Two out of my three current watches (Omega AT from 2013, Navitimer 46 from 2025) have no scratches in the coating at all. The third (Superocean from 2011) has one tiiiiny scratch that's barely visible and I didn't go easy on it (hiking, climbing, surfing...).

tonydel11

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/9/20
Does anyone have a VSF 116610LN on order right now? I do, the QC pic shows new S29 serial number the 2nd set is “1629”. Does anyone know if the second set is sequential in relation to production? Also, if you do have an order pending, did you receive tracking despite the CNY holiday?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

tonydel11

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/9/20
Does anyone have a VSF 116610LN on order right now? I do, the QC pic shows new S29 serial number the 2nd set is “1629”. Does anyone know if the second set is sequential in relation to production? Also, if you do have an order pending, did you receive tracking despite the CNY holiday?

Sent from the RWI App