• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob V4 Daytona's

Tony Clifton

Renowned Member
7/2/20
Germany
To me it's obvious :)

Gen on the left. To name a few points: Correct subdial size, 3d hands (especially the small chrono hands stands out on the gen) Correct ROLEX on the dial

Rep on the right. A few points: Wrong subdial size, flat hands, donut O in ROLEX, bezel text looks white, not platinum, but in fairness that could be light. This is clearly a Noob

Yup, I am with you GEN is on the left. The subdials on the right one are a little bit more shiny, which is a tell. By the way: Did they change the crystal gasket to a clear one on the Noob or are my eyes getting old. There is no milky white rim noticeable.

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Question about your opinion on the 116519 dial. I find it impossible to look at the ridges on the black subdials unless it's ridiculously bright and even then I have to have it 1mm to my face.... ARFs 116519 subdial ridges were way more apparent. Is the Noob really spot on with this?

Everyone has their priorities :D 99% of the population probably don't look at ridges that finely that you do. The Noob ridges are more pronounced with right lighting. At wrist distance - you will be hard pressed to differentiate the Noob dial and Gen (provided you are not holding a loupe and keep staring for minutes). Of course, the WG weight is an issue but only if someone holds/wears the watch. The Oysterflex color of Noob/ARF is also obvious, Gen is more light greyish vs total black of the Reps. But these are flaws I can live with. I had purchased the ARF also... The biggest issues with the ARF is the very harsh sunburst, in sunny days it just makes the dial unreadable.

edan9891

Horology Curious
26/7/19
Hong Kong
Hi,

I've just received my v4 from Puretime. I wanted to ask for your opinion here : is this definitely a v4, or did I get tricked into a v3? The sub-dials seem thin but maybe I am wrong just by comparing those macro pics with the bare eye.

Cheers.

Voodoojar

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/9/15
Yup, I am with you GEN is on the left. The subdials on the right one are a little bit more shiny, which is a tell. By the way: Did they change the crystal gasket to a clear one on the Noob or are my eyes getting old. There is no milky white rim noticeable.

No, the Noob v4 still comes with the white xtyl gasket. Easy swap with a $12.00 gakset from Esslinger.

Tony Clifton

Renowned Member
7/2/20
Germany
Hi,

I've just received my v4 from Puretime. I wanted to ask for your opinion here : is this definitely a v4, or did I get tricked into a v3? The sub-dials seem thin but maybe I am wrong just by comparing those macro pics with the bare eye.

Cheers.

Subdials are good. Do not worry!

edan9891

Horology Curious
26/7/19
Hong Kong
Subdials are good. Do not worry!

Thank you very much, Sir!

I was mainly confused because the "Daytona" looks somewhat orange-reddish, which reminded me of the bright color on the v3 dials. Are the v4 batch all in this red tone? They seem slightly too bright still compared to the deeper red of the gen.

Last edited:

Tony Clifton

Renowned Member
7/2/20
Germany
No, the Noob v4 still comes with the white xtyl gasket. Easy swap with a $12.00 gakset from Esslinger.

Yes I know that. But in the picture it seems as if someone already has changed the gasket to a clear one.
By the way, you can get a real good gasket from CousinsUK for about an Euro if you are EU based.

FLYER9

Known Member
2/2/16

Yes guys, as expected you’re all bang on the money. Gen is left and the right is Noob. I just thought it would be fun to post for a side by side reference.

Also, sometimes we can perhaps over analyse macro shots but when you see them side by side they’re not as different as sometimes they’re made out on the forum. In saying that, I do hope Noob correct the shiny sub-dials.

Reactions: StevieH

mistermagoo

9/8/17
To me it's obvious :)

Gen on the left. To name a few points: Correct subdial size, 3d hands (especially the small chrono hands stands out on the gen) Correct ROLEX on the dial

Rep on the right. A few points: Wrong subdial size, flat hands, donut O in ROLEX, bezel text looks white, not platinum, but in fairness that could be light. This is clearly a Noob

Could anybody other than us RWI users and possibly some AD's immediate tell the difference from those pics? Noob are getting closer and closer.

FLYER9

Known Member
2/2/16
Could anybody other than us RWI users and possibly some AD's immediate tell the difference from those pics? Noob are getting closer and closer.

No, absolutely not. Even under this picture on Instagram a lot of the grey dealers wrongfully thought the left was the rep. Others thought it was a trick question and both were gen/rep. It just goes to show the level of detail is users of RWI go into when scrutinising these pieces.

I think it has to be emphasised that the vast majority of people out there in the public can’t even spot a rep when it’s directly next to a gen so enjoy this hobby and wear your pieces in good health.

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA

Probably not :) But i don't really care about other people, i do my builds to please myself. And i couldn't live with an stock noob, it would annoy me daily :)

edan9891

Horology Curious
26/7/19
Hong Kong
I found my v4 has a slightly misaligned bezel (rotated by half a mm counter clockwise).

is this easy for me to fix myself at home? If yes - are there straightforward guides to this (do I need to get the ceramics inlay out or is it fine to just pop off the full bezel as in the gasket fix)?
if not - I’m living in Hong Kong - does anyone have an address/contact to fix this issue (maybe together with the clear gasket)?

thanks!

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
I found my v4 has a slightly misaligned bezel (rotated by half a mm counter clockwise).

is this easy for me to fix myself at home? If yes - are there straightforward guides to this (do I need to get the ceramics inlay out or is it fine to just pop off the full bezel as in the gasket fix)?
if not - I’m living in Hong Kong - does anyone have an address/contact to fix this issue (maybe together with the clear gasket)?

thanks!

It’s a very easy fix, but you need a press. And I think you might be slightly confused on the construction. There is no inlay on a Daytona, the bezel is one ceramic piece. There is a guide here on the forum, search Daytona bezel, and the guide should show up.

Reactions: edan9891 and Sansum

Bobi01

Put Some Respect On My Name
2/2/19

Recieved dial v4 and cf bezel...this dial is so small and this looks so gen imo and 1000 people from 1000 people wont spot it is fake side by side with gen im 100%sure ..im happy
also i got amazing cf bezel which is much superior and brighter than my v3 which was solid

ettorefranco

23/4/20
caput mundi
Recieved dial v4 and cf bezel...this dial is so small and this looks so gen imo and 1000 people from 1000 people wont spot it is fake side by side with gen im 100%sure ..im happy
also i got amazing cf bezel which is much superior and brighter than my v3 which was solid

I never expected it from you but your Noob dial is truly creamy, much more than Arf! :)

Just kidding, it will certainly be the wrong pic...

But there is another thing I notice: Daytona font in the Arf dial is slightly larger and better done, it seems more genlike to me.

Anyway congratulations, your Noob dial is among the best I've ever seen and your CF bezel looks very nice, your V3 stock bezel looks off in that light condition.