• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob V4 Daytona's

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
I washed my V4 for the first time with warm water and neutral soap, now the bezel is brighter and more visible even in low light conditions. I think it came dirty from the factory. Was I right to use mild soap?

It's true, the Daytona lettering is a bit high but I notice it just looking at the pics, in real life, at least for me, it is not noticeable.

Oh no! That soap has made your hands turn red ..... :cryingbadly:

Reactions: ettorefranco

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
Despite having bought the Noob V4 panda that I am quite happy with, I have great nostalgia for my gen 116520 black dial that was stolen from me. I was thinking about buying the Noob with the 4130 movement as well. I haven't read any great comments about it, what do you think, is it a worthy purchase? Thanks for your advice.

I think there are a lot of comments on the black dialed Noob V3 and V4 on the various daytona threads. I think there is not really a V4 black dial, just the better bezel and possibly the hands. From what I have seen and read the black dialed Noob is very good except for slightly-too-shiny subdials in certain light situations which wuld not bother me
I think at V2 the panda was the best, I think at V3 the black dial was the best, mainly due to the horrendous thin subdials which are an immediate give away even to a poorly sighted chap like myself.

With the V4 I think both are great. Neither are worth the hassle and expense of an upgrade. Unless of course it is your hobby/passion and you absolutely want the best possible. Otherwise I am with Markaplan on that one. The perceived thicker print lines and higher "DAYTONA" above the subdial are immaterial to me, no way you will see that on a sub-40mm watch dial with the naked eye.

I have been on the fence of getting a Daytona for a LOOONNGGG time, was going to get the V2 panda with the CF bezel.
When the V3 panda came out with the thin subdials, and seeing all the pics of the quite lovely black dial I was swaying that way.
At this time I would just get the Noob V4 and leave it at that. Panda? Black? As they say when in doubt get both LOL!

As I am in the process of buying a house I am not spending anything on frivolities though until the dust has settled.
Who knows, maybe for christmas/B-day (both in December).

Markaplan

Supporter
9/10/20
I think there are a lot of comments on the black dialed Noob V3 and V4 on the various daytona threads. I think there is not really a V4 black dial, just the better bezel and possibly the hands. From what I have seen and read the black dialed Noob is very good except for slightly-too-shiny subdials in certain light situations which wuld not bother me
I think at V2 the panda was the best, I think at V3 the black dial was the best, mainly due to the horrendous thin subdials which are an immediate give away even to a poorly sighted chap like myself.

With the V4 I think both are great. Neither are worth the hassle and expense of an upgrade. Unless of course it is your hobby/passion and you absolutely want the best possible. Otherwise I am with Markaplan on that one. The perceived thicker print lines and higher "DAYTONA" above the subdial are immaterial to me, no way you will see that on a sub-40mm watch dial with the naked eye.

I have been on the fence of getting a Daytona for a LOOONNGGG time, was going to get the V2 panda with the CF bezel.
When the V3 panda came out with the thin subdials, and seeing all the pics of the quite lovely black dial I was swaying that way.
At this time I would just get the Noob V4 and leave it at that. Panda? Black? As they say when in doubt get both LOL!

As I am in the process of buying a house I am not spending anything on frivolities though until the dust has settled.

Happy early birthday. Get the noob V4 panda and enjoy it.

280cfd91a58808573f04de6ac166d6b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ettorefranco

23/4/20
caput mundi

Thank you for your reply and first of all I want to send you many wishes for the next purchase of your new home. First the house and then the frivolities :)

I share your every word, Noob V4 is a great watch and the panda dial is super ok for me and I'm going to keep it without doing any mods.

However, and here it's my fault because I think I explained myself wrong, my request for advice was about the Noob 116520 black dial because I had the gen in the past and for me it is still the most fascinating Daytona and it has a great presence on the wrist.

However, I have read that the Noob 116520 bezel has a more pronounced angle and is not gen like, the Arf dial is better (as usual), etc, etc. I don't know if this information is up to date and maybe it refers to an older version.

Perhaps the latest version has been improved and does not need mods and I was asking the many experts of this thread what they think about the Noob 116520 and if its purchase is advisable or not

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
So far i have not seen a Noob or ARF bezel that has the same platinum shine in daylight as the CF bezel does.

A gen its not supposed to be WHITE in all situations. It has a platinum/white shimmer that really comes alive in sunlight. (Like other gen rolex ceramic bezels.)

My point is, it's impossible to judge the inserts based on pictures, you need them in hand to see the difference.

^ This exactly. Only CF (atleast from the ones I have handled) has this effect pretty consistently. Here is gen pic (this was posted for sale by interaktiv ), look at both the white and platinum effect depending on how light hits it.
ZeeHnQ.jpg
Zee3hS.jpg
ZeejfW.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2841

Therion666

Certified
26/12/13
I got mine today, but it was late in the afternoon, so I couldn't make any decent photos. I'm blown away by the quality of this rep, that's another level! This must be my 150th rep ( at least ) and I can't remember the last time I was so impressed. Everything feels solid and well made, I'm particularly impressed by buttery smooth handwinding and completely silent rotor. Subdials are not shiny at all in real life, they look different in photos, much shinier than they really are. I also love SELs on my unit, they're perfect. Will take more pics soon!

IMG-20201030-012111.jpg

Last edited:

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
Hi guys,
I was really excited to see the new v4 panda dial when it was 1st posted on the td's websites.

2d32e1d3b43bbb9cb3336e0ed3170009.jpg

I was really hoping for this to be a better canditate for a franken build than the ARF one .
The ARF's printing is very crisp but the lines on the minute counter are flawed . Plus the rings a bit too thin.
If you look at the pic posted on PT's blog, the dial looks crisp!

But after seeing some qc pics i came to realise this dial is all over the place, a hit or miss .

Question to all the panda V4 owners :
Could you guys post some closeups of the dial ? I am interested in especiallty the chrono print.

here are some good examples i've seen ( these all look to have decent crisp printing ) :

Whats-App-Image-2020-10-18-at-09-02-05.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2020-10-24-at-19-41-46.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2020-10-25-at-11-33-04-1.jpg

and here are some of the bad ones ( the print looks bad , similar to the v2.2) :

Whats-App-Image-2020-10-29-at-16-27-03.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2020-10-29-at-16-27-06.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2020-10-29-at-16-27-06-1.jpg

Can you guys help me ? Are these in fact diff or are they all the same ? Maybe the pics are misleading .
Please zoom in for better details . THX

Lotdem

Known Member
12/6/19
Guys,

Could someone help with identifying this QC as Noob V4? TD is saying that it is, but the bracelet is ARF?

IMG-9272.jpg

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Therion666

Certified
26/12/13
A snap of my V4 in better light. The subdials are a bit on the shiny side, but only at certain angles. Overall it's a wonderful rep. The rehaut is spot on and I love the SELs.

Reactions: Lotdem

Lotdem

Known Member
12/6/19
Thank you both.

What is it with TD, they have messed up both orders and when questioned Im promised its Noob ????????‍♂️

What to do now, its been shipped out.

Lotdem

Known Member
12/6/19
Its getting opened up soon as it arrives,

I have Gen dial, hands, crystal, bezel, crown and many of the movement parts to go on this watch, but I need it to be 4130. Major disappointment if not!