• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob V4 Daytona's

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
I respectfully disagree based on my own experience. The CF is visibly superior in real life to the V4 Noob. The difference isn't huge, to some it may not matter, but its certainly an upgrade, and certainly superior to the V4 Noob.

I ordered a CF to replace a V3 bezel, and got another V4 Daytona simultaneously: Once seeing it in person, I immediately purchased a second CF for the V4 Daytona because the CF is superior. The Noob V4 is good, the CF is superb and its all in the details and refinement.

That is good to know, I will keep mine then. I was thinking of moving it on and getting a V4 instead. I have not even unwrapped my watch yet or put it on the wrist .... too busy with work etc.

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Has anyone tried running the chrono sweep hand on a long-term continual basis? I realize this goes against the conventional wisdom to use the chronograph sparingly to avoid issues, but the 4130 has a vertical clutch....so it theoretically shouldn't put too much stress on the movement. Am I crazy for considering doing this? That large sweep hand looks soooo sweet chugging along I'm tempted to try it!

gb7007

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
5/12/16
Austria
Has anyone tried running the chrono sweep hand on a long-term continual basis? I realize this goes against the conventional wisdom to use the chronograph sparingly to avoid issues, but the 4130 has a vertical clutch....so it theoretically shouldn't put too much stress on the movement. Am I crazy for considering doing this? That large sweep hand looks soooo sweet chugging along I'm tempted to try it!

I had my 4130 Daytonas running for several hours without any problem.

gravec

25/5/20

Mine did it with no issue at all.

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
Mine did it with no issue at all.

I would not do that permanently all the time but I see no reason not to do that every now and then. Overall it would certainly decrease power reserve and conceivably make the watch run less precise, and increase wear and tear but there is no need for magical thinking based fear of the movement disintegrating when running the chrono for any length of time.

Mark1937

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
25/3/17
...someone told me that the case of the V4 is different from the V3. Could you confirm it?

Thank you very much :)

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
I would not do that permanently all the time but I see no reason not to do that every now and then..

Seeing as I only wear this now and then, I think I'll roll this way when I use it - big hand ticking, pushers screwed in. The dial (and whole watch?) looks infinitely better with the big hand out of the way of the text and crown logo. I synchronised it with the seconds hand, it's nice to watch them both sweep. What a difference, thank you for the tip/idea!
ZCxSRP.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Willyw

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Seeing as I only wear this now and then, I think I'll roll this way when I use it - big hand ticking, pushers screwed in. The dial (and whole watch?) looks infinitely better with the big hand out of the way of the text and crown logo. I synchronised it with the seconds hand, it's nice to watch them both sweep. What a difference, thank you for the tip/idea!

Agreed...big hand ticking is the only way to roll!

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA

I am a big proponent of using things the way they were made for. I don't thrash my car but I don't baby it. So when I have to make a fast merge on the motorway I will press down the gas pedal and use the automatic gearbox' kickdown effect. To the horror of my GF. To which I say 'silence woman, that's what it is for!" (I don't really say it that way don't worry). But I don't use every red light as a drag race. So no I would not let my chrono run all day just to look at the big second hand sweeping in tandem with the small second hand.

Then again, doing that probably puts less wear on the chrono than to do what I use it for including timing rest between sets in the gym. Where I press the pushers several if not numerous times and the chrono has to reset to zero numerous times as well. And yes I have a fitbit that can do that to but the fitbit is a bit of a PIA. I find the mechanilcal chrono much easier to use as I can keep an eye on the time also which the fitbit won't let me do.

Hey it's a free country, do what makes you happy, and if it breaks, well, at least you don't have to send it to Rolex for a $1000 plus service/repair!

Therion666

Certified
26/12/13
RiffRalf Very well said! If someone just HAS to do something so unnecessary, why not? It's only 700$! That's not much for such joy, now is it?

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15

DF DID I JUST READ

DetailGuy

Horology Curious
30/11/20
I am a big proponent of using things the way they were made for. I don't thrash my car but I don't baby it. So when I have to make a fast merge on the motorway I will press down the gas pedal and use the automatic gearbox' kickdown effect. To the horror of my GF. To which I say 'silence woman, that's what it is for!" (I don't really say it that way don't worry). But I don't use every red light as a drag race. So no I would not let my chrono run all day just to look at the big second hand sweeping in tandem with the small second hand.

Then again, doing that probably puts less wear on the chrono than to do what I use it for including timing rest between sets in the gym. Where I press the pushers several if not numerous times and the chrono has to reset to zero numerous times as well. And yes I have a fitbit that can do that to but the fitbit is a bit of a PIA. I find the mechanilcal chrono much easier to use as I can keep an eye on the time also which the fitbit won't let me do.

Hey it's a free country, do what makes you happy, and if it breaks, well, at least you don't have to send it to Rolex for a $1000 plus service/repair!

You had me reeled in until the automatic transmission part.... ????

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
You had me reeled in until the automatic transmission part.... ????

It's the kickdown effect on cars with automatic transmissions which are by far the most common here in the largely clutchless USA. It makes the tranny shift up a gear or two for acceleration purposes. In my experience wives and GFs invariably go "AAARGH don't do that to my precious ...." fill in the blank without realising that this is a perfectly OK thing to do, the thing is designed to work that way.

liq2

Known Member
4/12/16
For black dialed...is the ARF dial more accurate, same or worse? Considering a hybrid.

Last edited:

werdn

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/9/18
Just skimmed through almost all 153 pages, and is the overall consensus that the black dial is better than the panda (aside from the sub dials being too shiny)?

Therion666

Certified
26/12/13
Just skimmed through almost all 153 pages, and is the overall consensus that the black dial is better than the panda (aside from the sub dials being too shiny)?

You should read the thread more carefully. The latest panda is awesome.

Reactions: RiffRalf