• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Battle Has Already Begun

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
That isn't quite true though.

RXF is very very close.

I do agree there is a lot of crystal obsession here, but I do get it. It's quite a large tell if you know... but how many know? That's a better question. Either way, if we can get improvements on crystals to RXF standard that would be a great success to everyone. As then, those that want the absolute gen experience of crystals can still buy it... but for most, it'll be great out of the box.

I haven’t seen a side by side / decent review of RXF / Rolex glass - just that it has a halo and black hole better than the mainstream - which isn’t exactly a tall order.

i think the RXF would be getting a lot less love if it were more expensive.

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
I think the RXF would be getting a lot less love if it were more expensive.

Absolutely, but that's the point. I think when you're asking a $500+ or... as we've just seen with ZF, a $550 price tag and things aren't as good as $300 reps, that's where eyebrows start to raise! People are starting to demand more bang for their buck. Either way any improvement is decent. I'll probably still buy a gen crystal, as will most. But for those who can't justify the cost, I think it's great to push forwards and ask/demand better.

Hopefully people vote with their wallet and pass their business to RXF and this will push the factories to do better. They don't improve them because they don't have the motivation to improve them as they sell well. So I commend factories like RXF without being a fanboi.

Anyways, we'll see what the future 41mm's bring us, it's exciting times! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: mari115

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Smoke has just seen Kennyg's RXF Mini Review thread and had given a very positive reaction. Just saying....

Reactions: mari115

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
They all have their merits for sure. I (and I’m
Sure lots of others) had thought why don’t ZF or VSF make Rolex, after buying other reps they make. It’s a shame The zf came in high priced, I kind of thought vsf would be fairly priced just like their omegas and they have been.

Great time and choice for 116610 reps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
puretime Angus, per rolex the new 2020 SUB41 crystals have anti-reflective on the back side of the crystal :

cfa4d27ca334aa6a01e3092365bbc283.png

The no date Sub crystal used to have no AR at all. The Sub date (and other models) used to have AR only on the underside of the crystal in the footprint of the cyclops, which is what caused the difference in appearance between the crystal and the cyclops black hole.

Y2mJk.jpg

So if the new Subs all have AR on the entire underside of the crystal as the quoted article implies, that would explain Angus' inability to see it on his gen 126610. There would no longer be a difference in appearance between the crystal and the cyclops other than a direct light source reflection off the curved cyclops.

This doesn't mean we lose the black hole, just that the rest of the crystal is improved to the point that it all looks good, not just the cyclops.

Last edited:

GingerBubba

24/10/17
This doesn't mean we lose the black hole, just that the rest of the crystal is improved to the point that it all looks good, not just the cyclops.

Surely the impact of the black hole effect is significantly lessened on the new release as it won't stand out and 'pop' so much - which for me is a negative of the new design - I love the old black hole effect!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Surely the impact of the black hole effect is significantly lessened on the new release as it won't stand out and 'pop' so much - which for me is a negative of the new design - I love the old black hole effect!

The black hole effect itself would be unchanged but the perception of it could indeed be affected much in the same way as the color of the green insert is perceived differently next to a black dial.

The Rolex dial has long been able to benefit from some AR on the crystal. Profs 2xAR crystals have this same look as the new Subs, and then some. I never thought one of his crystals with a much clearer dial was a downgrade from just a black hole cyclops.

Last edited:
Reactions: kennygconspiracy

GrandmasterChime

Agent Provocateur
Supporter
Certified
6/1/19
New Zealand
remember the blackhole exists because of glare reflecting off the rest of the crystal its not a feature, you could argue its a fault that affects legibility outdoors. Ive never seen anyone love the glare on there television screen from the sun. We're a funny lot

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
remember the blackhole exists because of glare reflecting off the rest of the crystal its not a feature, you could argue its a fault that affects legibility outdoors. Ive never seen anyone love the glare on there television screen from the sun. We're a funny lot

True, to fully appreciate the black hole you have to sacrifice visibility of the rest of the dial. Well, not any more apparently.

GingerBubba

24/10/17

I hear what you're saying, but I think it's definitely a design choice. It's not like Rolex hasn't understood how to make the dial legible until now - it's been a conscious choice.

And clear doesn't always equal better - impressionism or pointillism over realism for example? It's choices and preferences.

Reactions: rwacc

GrandmasterChime

Agent Provocateur
Supporter
Certified
6/1/19
New Zealand
I hear what you're saying, but I think it's definitely a design choice. It's not like Rolex hasn't understood how to make the dial legible until now - it's been a conscious choice.

And clear doesn't always equal better - impressionism or pointillism over realism for example? It's choices and preferences.

Yeah 2 reasons probably ar on the surface of the crystal can wear off over time and look pretty bad and that mirror does stand out and make them instantly recognizable

GingerBubba

24/10/17
Yeah 2 reasons probably ar on the surface of the crystal can wear off over time

I don't think they're putting AR on the surface (for the reason you give), but on the underside.

Last edited: