• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Do you feel sometimes your replica is so real?

Omega

Known Member
8/5/09
Sometimes, I feel my replica rolex is like a real thing.
I check rolex and it's running accurately with no +/- in timing after 12 hours. I never regulate this watch when bought from a dealer. The Asian 3135 is indeed a workhorse or I will say, rolex movement design is so superb that even replicating it will inherit all the goodies.

fredflintstone

5/4/20
You would feel different about it if you had worked and saved for 2 years to get the £8,500 needed to buy the genuine article!

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

greenwrist

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/6/19
Hahahah no. Not even for a minute. I have real Rolexes and mid-high end replicas. Pictures are one thing, but once you hold it in your hand, feel the crown wind or hear the sounds it makes, the illusion stops.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
You would feel different about it if you had worked and saved for 2 years to get the £8,500 needed to buy the genuine article!
Yeah, I’d feel terrified every time I wore it, that I’d chip the crystal or ding the case. And I’d feel irritated every time I saw Rolex hoardings plastered across every square foot of a Formula One circuit, because it would remind me why I’d massively over-paid for a watch.

fredflintstone

5/4/20
... And get turned down at the AD.

So yeah, the process of buying the real deal does indeed make you feel different :)
I never had that trouble, after they where happy I wasn't there to rob them they allowed me to hand over my hard earned money, which was nice of them. They locked me in a room that was in the locked store. Though to be fair to them I had just pulled up outside on a big bike! I went in with full leathers on and carrying a helmet so they were right to feel a little edgy LoL!

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
Yeah, I’d feel terrified every time I wore it, that I’d chip the crystal or ding the case. And I’d feel irritated every time I saw Rolex hoardings plastered across every square foot of a Formula One circuit, because it would remind me why I’d massively over-paid for a watch.

It's all about YOU, YOU, YOU - right? Those poor F1 fellows also have to feed their children... :console:

ZDyEmJ.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: p0pperini

NETGLW

3/8/20
My real Rolexes feels cheap compared to my reps though.

same with my vintage piece.. cant say for recent models as i never owned one but friends of mine do and theyre impressed by the quality of reps, got 2 friends into reps aswell rather than spending the money for a service they can get 2 watches ????

Omega

Known Member
8/5/09
Hahahah no. Not even for a minute. I have real Rolexes and mid-high end replicas. Pictures are one thing, but once you hold it in your hand, feel the crown wind or hear the sounds it makes, the illusion stops.

I went to AD and pre owned shop try on the real one. The replica nowadays are getting very close. Even the Asian 3135 is getting better and better. The datejust , explorer I, oyster perpetual almost 99.9% there. Just minus some very minor stuff. Sub still has some distance like bezel action and bracelet. But it's very good and close. Even they manage to get the hulk green correct for some version.

Omega

Known Member
8/5/09
That’s adorable!

I decide not to get a gen with these rep. I feel they can replace the real thing. If u are talking about investment, of cos that will be another topic. I am even tempted to buy a gen box with assessories to complete the collection.

Venniz

26/7/20
I decide not to get a gen with these rep. I feel they can replace the real thing. If u are talking about investment, of cos that will be another topic. I am even tempted to buy a gen box with assessories to complete the collection.

Already did and I like my box and stuff. :)
Cost me around 50 $ for the box and all.

greenwrist

28/6/19
I went to AD and pre owned shop try on the real one. The replica nowadays are getting very close. Even the Asian 3135 is getting better and better. The datejust , explorer I, oyster perpetual almost 99.9% there. Just minus some very minor stuff. Sub still has some distance like bezel action and bracelet. But it's very good and close. Even they manage to get the hulk green correct for some version.

Dont get me wrong, I love my reps as they take the heat off of my gens abuse wise. Since the Rolex sport watches are the most sought after and hopefully reps will improve the bracelets like yesterday.

Silverg

I'm Pretty Popular
8/11/08
Us
My policy is all SS pieces in my collection should be rep, while any PM pieces should be gen. The quality of today's reps, especially in SS are too damn close to justify the spend on gen.

Last edited:
Reactions: yodog

Fireman6976

Known Member
1/9/20
Very Personal. Id not try to pass a rep off as real but id never advertise it as a rep either. Don't ask don't tell for me...and no one ever asked

Ive had 2 gen 6 digit subs (114060 and a 116610 both purchased used) and to be honest the better reps today get me about 99% there imho. I am not nearly as experienced with reps as most of the guys here but I owned one to to wear in additional to my real ones when i was in certain environments like the inner city or traveling and honestly...sometimes i would forget i was wearing a rep.

I wear my watches a lot...gen or rep and by the time they get a years worth of wear and tear on them any fit and finish differences are out the window...assuming things like the dial, bezel and case are correct to begin with.

That said i do still value the genuine article for its value and history if nothing else. I sold both of mine due to a career decision for the betterment of my family life that changed my financial situation negatively a good deal. I got all of my money back plus some. With a rep you couldn't do that to any meaningful degree. I got $350 for my rep...paid about $100 more than that new.

Im talking subs though as that's all i have experience with. Id not be in a hurry to buy a rep chronograph like a daytona or navi timer as i don't trust the robustness of the movements. Maybe I'm wrong and please correct me if I am . The ETAs are great though and the adjustment differences don't bother me at all. I like the submariner and the day date etc for their iconic look. A good rep scratches that itch for me but in the end it's personal. Ive got 2 inbound currently...a Noob and a ZZF. We will see how it goes.

JMG2099

Known Member
31/5/20

Nope because I have 2 gen Rolex and my reps make me feel exactly the same way as my Gen ones. I thought that I would feel other wise at least with the SS version, my bluesy I don’t think a rep would compete unless I bought a Gen Bezel & insert, Gen Dial Hands and Bracelet lol. I honestly don’t think I will ever buy a SS gen Rolex ever again if I can get a rep and mod a couple of things. I don’t try to pass my rep as Gen if ppl ask me if it’s real. I just ask them “what do you think”

Last edited:

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
My policy is all SS pieces in my collection should be rep, while any PM pieces should be gen. The quality of today's reps, especially in SS are too damn close to justify the spend on gen.
FACTS.

hard to replicate pieces or PM pieces all gen

stainless steel modern all rep. no point when these factories are churning out insane stuff.

still not sure why people even buy rep gold and think its good. no amount of wrapping even comes close to the feel of solid 18k

jttou

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/14
No of course not. However I feel like a replica myself from time to time.