• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A *GENUINE* Question

dwjpaypal

Renowned Member
Certified
24/9/10
Hi All,

Im in two minds.

Last year I was offered a 116610LV (Hulk) and purchased it from an AD. I absolutely love the watch and it's become my favourite piece out of my collection.

What with the announcement earlier this week, prices have gone mental on these pieces- I'm talking £20,000.

I'd hate to loose the watch, but a £13,000 profit on something I purchased 9 months ago is hard to pass up.

If I did it, are there any reps currently that are good? Last time I was in the rep game, the bezel markings and colour were always off, and people were doing sharpie mods to get the platinum coating looking good. Is this still the case, or can I flip my gen hulk and get a rep that's as good??

Thanks,
Dave

dwjpaypal

Renowned Member
Certified
24/9/10
The current collection

a7f8a281873f6d68956f420644865e1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Hi All,

Im in two minds.

Last year I was offered a 116610LV (Hulk) and purchased it from an AD. I absolutely love the watch and it's become my favourite piece out of my collection.

What with the announcement earlier this week, prices have gone mental on these pieces- I'm talking £20,000.

I'd hate to loose the watch, but a £13,000 profit on something I purchased 9 months ago is hard to pass up.

If I did it, are there any reps currently that are good? Last time I was in the rep game, the bezel markings and colour were always off, and people were doing sharpie mods to get the platinum coating looking good. Is this still the case, or can I flip my gen hulk and get a rep that's as good??

Thanks,
Dave

Get a ZZF v2.2, put a gen crystal and ARF clasp on it, and you won't know the difference

stevier88

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
16/12/19
U.K
Hi All,

Im in two minds.

Thanks,
Dave

Are they actually selling for 20k though? The only people I’ve seen asking for those prices are greys who aren’t going to buy yours for 20k and try and sell it for 20k with no
profit. Private seller prices seem to be settling around 14-15k just now.

as for reps, it depends how anal you are about it being perfect. Every one will have a flaw so it just depends which flaw you can live with. An option could be to franken it, add gen parts to it replacing what you don’t like. For me I like two tone models but the dial colour and sunburst on the reps isn’t perfect so I try and source a gen dial and I’m happy.

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Remind me the batman oyster, price went crazy and friends around me never sold theses for the announced price on c24 and various places.

If I was you, i would take the profit if you don't care to keep your hulk, but don't except to make 11k profit.

TLW77

Known Member
22/6/20
Serious question, I have never bought a gen but this thread seems right one to ask. If you sign up for Rolex waitlist for a new sub do you also get QC pics after they make it that you can green or red light?

Reactions: k4jun

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Serious question, I have never bought a gen but this thread seems right one to ask. If you sign up for Rolex waitlist for a new sub do you also get QC pics after they make it that you can green or red light?

:hehehe:

Reactions: Raddave

dwjpaypal

Renowned Member
Certified
24/9/10

Erm... nope.

If you're *lucky* enough to be offered one, then you run to the AD as fast as your legs will carry you and you get out your credit card and hope to god that there's not a reason why the bank won't let the transaction go through, as the guy standing behind you at the sales register is ready to buy your watch with his...

LordElrond

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/8/20
First of all, DO NOT SELL
You need money to eat? I don't think so... so keep it, there won't be any more Hulks out there. I think you can sell it later if you really need. Lock it in you bank and wear a rep ;)

Besides, I researched this exact question like crazy since I didn't got hold of it in gen so rep or nothing... It seems that the best available at the moment is ZZF V2s + gen crystal.
Other possible upgrades, but we are talking about diminishing returns, are gen DW, crown and tube, automatic winder and ARF bracelet (but the consensus about it fitting is not unanimous, for some it gives a perfect SEL recess and for some not, I think because of lug hole positional tolerance)

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Sell it! Not only is it not worth £20k, it's not even worth the £9k you paid. It's an overpriced chunk of metal that with a true value of at most £2k - so sell it and buy a sensibly priced rep as above that's essentially as good.

#controversial

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Sell it for £ 20k (if you can) and get a 4130 two tone Daytona for 13k and a pepsi 16710 for for 7k

You just got a "free" Rolex and upgraded your steel watch to a gold and steel one LMAO

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
Whatever you do, DO NOT SELL!! You'll regret it. I guarantee it!

But if you ever want to get hulk rep, get zzf v2s, gen dw, gen crystal and arf clasp. It's as close as it get to gen IMO.

BUT there's nothing like gen. and you have one so DO NOT SELL!!! Price might go down again shortly after this mayhem but after awhile it will continue to go up gradually, I think.

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
I’d keep it.

You won’t get 20k for it, that’s just greedy grey dealers chancing their luck. I bet someone like Watchfinder would probably offer more like £12 or £13K

Unless you desperately need the cash I’d just keep and enjoy it.

In the long run the price will go up.

Congrats on a great collection.

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
If you can get close to 20k - sell it here and now. 13k of profit in one year is too hard to be ingnored.
Sell it because Hulk is maxi case and everyone's been bitching about this, now with a launch of the slimmer case everyone is in love in those slimmer lugs.
Hulk bezel can be beautiful green and can be washed out green - this is another reason why not everyone likes it.
Yes, the watch has a following, but I wouldn't be surprising if a new ceramic Kermit would have taken over this following.
Sell it now when people who's been on Hulk waitlist are not happy and they are still ready to pay 20k.

Re the best rep - ZZF V2.2/V3 (whatever it is called) - bezel and dial are best on the market. Case and bracelet are so-so, they are acceptable but you can get a better bracelet from ARF and better case from Noob.
And there are more new Hulk reps upcoming - Noob v11, V6F, RXF, yeah do sell the gen.

josmcg

13/3/18
I read an article on, I believe Business Insider talking about the skyrocketing cost of this particular watch. There’s a belief that this watch will go out of production. 20K is the number they were reporting.

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
I read an article on, I believe Business Insider talking about the skyrocketing cost of this particular watch. There’s a belief that this watch will go out of production. 20K is the number they were reporting.

the hulk is already out of production as far as i know

josmcg

13/3/18
The economic uncertainty in the US is subsiding, so you may be seeing an influx of potential buyers. That, and scarce stock, are the perfect storm for sellers.

Having said that, if I didn’t need the money, I’d keep the watch. It’s a nice profit, but 13K isn’t that much money.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Get a ZZF v2.2, put a gen crystal and ARF clasp on it, and you won't know the difference

The insert on a ZZF v2.2, or any other rep for that matter is absolute garbage compared to a gen.

OT - sell it.

But don't replace it with a fake one - get something else.