• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

We might finally be able to answer this question in 2020

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
I was right behind you until this last part. I always thought the 'intentional mistakes' was an urban myth or a joke.
The intentional mistakes ARE an urban myth. It's actually just supply and demand in action. A new rep just has to be better than what's on the market if you want to sell for the same or higher price. The rep factories want to maximize their profit with the smallest investment possible. No conspiracy at all taking place. The closer you want to come to the gen, the more hand-finishing by highly trained professionals is needed. Law of diminishing returns in action. If the rep is already at 85% gen, you need to increase your cost by 50% to get over the 95% gen level. One example: you'd need to introduce gen-level polishing/engraving to have perfect hands and movement parts.

In this case it’s Probably best to buy a nice equivalent gen with the money.
No, you simply have to stick to the wrist-safe reps (OOTB). There's quite a few of those available these days...

Last edited:

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
I was right behind you until this last part. I always thought the 'intentional mistakes' was an urban myth or a joke. But to have it put out there in black and white is a little.....enlightening. Further, it makes me think that all these 'factories' arent so independent.....more like a family run business that has many branches under different names. Thank you for pulling back the curtain on the wizard of Oz.

Modding a watch isnt a hobby of mine. I just want a quality replica without intentional mistakes that keep me chasing a plastic carrot.

To be completely honest I couldn’t tell you if noob actually really do it on purpose, maybe I phrased that a little wrong it was more like a quote haha. what I meant was that statement Itself has been around for a long time and is concreted into a lot of minds. I think most businesses that sell merchandise especially the electronics industry Like phones, tv’s, and so on dangle that plastic carrot

greenwrist

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/6/19
The intentional mistakes ARE an urban myth. It's actually just supply and demand in action. A new rep just has to be better than what's on the market if you want to sell for the same or higher price. The rep factories want to maximize their profit with the smallest investment possible. No conspiracy at all taking place. The closer you want to come to the gen, the more hand-finishing by highly trained professionals is needed. Law of diminishing returns in action. If the rep is already at 85% gen, you need to increase your cost by 50% to get over the 95% gen level. One example: you'd need to introduce gen-level polishing/engraving to have perfect hands and movement parts.

I get what you are saying about diminishing returns 100%. But there have been a few new comers who bring to the market pieces that are equal to current offerings....if not better. That tells me this is a fairly close knit trade where the players all know each other. That either breeds cooperation or all out price war. I think its easy to see how the pricing structures all fall in line with each other with some exceptions. But thats their playground and we choose to play in it.

Agree with the wrist safe reps.....I mean at the end of the day, most of the $450+ models are extremely passable to the majority of the population that doesnt walk around with a jewelers loop. The issue of modding with me is A) Zero talent for internals...Hulk hands smash! B) I would rather buy a $500 rep and it be 95% and be done with it. If I got into modding a watch to make it nearly perfect, I wouldnt wear it as much. I usually strap on a rep when Im out doing some sort of abusive activity, dirtbike riding, boating, yard work. If I smash the thing, im out a few hundred, not 15 large.

Anyway, It is nice to see some new players. Long gone are the days of Canal or Nathan street.

YellowFin

28/1/20
Molvania
If I got into modding a watch to make it nearly perfect, I wouldnt wear it as much. I usually strap on a rep when Im out doing some sort of abusive activity, dirtbike riding, boating, yard work. If I smash the thing, im out a few hundred, not 15 large.

Same thing here - that's why I'm a big fan of the 2824 in reps. But I also get the hobby/sport/challenge mindset where you try to create super frankens that even fool AD staff.

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
No, you simply have to stick to the wrist-safe reps (OOTB). There's quite a few of those available these days...

Well no, He said he wants a quality rep where he wouldn’t be chasing a plastic carrot and no modding. The best reps at the moment will always have a revised version down the road.

2 years ago ARF v2 2824 was the Best ootb or (wrist safe) sure as hell isn’t now. I wonder how many of those owners upgeaded to v3 or bought one of the new factories. I was one of those people, I’ve had a v3 ARF and since the new zzfs.

I’m Just about to buy the new 3130 no date and I already owned the first iteration, Before that the noob version (which was once a wrist safe rep too) and it’s awful now ) There will always be another version better than yours that you’ll likely want later on.

For this reason, my point still stands .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

YellowFin

28/1/20
Molvania
Well no, He said he wants a quality rep where he wouldn’t be chasing a plastic carrot and no modding. The best reps at the moment will always have a revised version down the road.

[...]

Not sure how a gen for 500 USD is going to solve this issue. If that's the money he wants to spend and is looking for the best OOTB rep... well there is one. If he buys a Ginault, Steinhart or Davosa instead, he's even further from a gen Sub and will keep selling and buying gens instead. Also chasing a carrot - which is: a gen Sub. Permanent flipping isn't reserved for reps, it was actually invented by gen collectors.

greenwrist

28/6/19

2 years ago ARF v2 2824 was the Best ootb or (wrist safe) sure as hell isn’t now. I wonder how many of those owners upgeaded to v3 or bought one of the new factories. I was one of those people, I’ve had a v3 ARF and since the new zzfs.

I’m Just about to buy the new 3130 no date and I already owned the first iteration, Before that the noob version (which was once a wrist safe rep too) and it’s awful now ) There will always be another version better than yours that you’ll likely want later on.

You forgot the 'Intentional mistakes' part....that was the crux of my irk. Mnkosha stated he is in the industry and let the cat out of the bag in black and white, only to walk it back. I can understand if a better version comes out for watch xyz. But would be put off if the factories intentionally lowered their game for the sake of future sales.

Not sure how a gen for 500 USD is going to solve this issue. If that's the money he wants to spend and is looking for the best OOTB rep... well there is one. If he buys a Ginault, Steinhart or Davosa instead, he's even further from a gen Sub and will keep selling and buying gens instead. Also chasing a carrot - which is: a gen Sub. Permanent flipping isn't reserved for reps, it was actually invented by gen collectors.

I actually dont sell personal items outside of vehicles and the like. Some guys do sell their gen watches like changing underwear. Heck, I still have my first 'nice' watch from 1986. The last rep I bought was a GMF Pepsi and the insert red is horrible in person but photographs perfect. Thats a part I would feel comfortable swapping out if I could find an eye correct color with good marker depth.

diamant

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/9/19
Ok, so ZF use their own dial instead of CF. That explains the late release, hope they make a move and release it before VSF

Reactions: Tione12

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
You forgot the 'Intentional mistakes' part....that was the crux of my irk. Mnkosha stated he is in the industry and let the cat out of the bag in black and white, only to walk it back. I can understand if a better version comes out for watch xyz. But would be put off if the factories intentionally lowered their game for the sake of future

hang on a min mate, I’m not in the replica watch industry, you have mistaken, don’t now how you jumped to that conclusion. There’s no curtain or wizard of OZ. I’m in the manufacturing industry of similar items that are hight quality, large And small scale production, design, machining, CNC and toolmaking. Im in no way affiliated with the replica industry. Just so we are clear, the statement I made was maybe not labeled properly and was sarcasm (apologies for my poor punctuation) and most that have been here long enough would probably realise that. No back peddling here... I was only trying to point out there’s a large amount of work that goes into making some products and that variations are inevitable and not always intentional. My main point was to back up Angus a bit in his efforts to communicate with the forum without criticism especially when some have no idea how their watch is produced.

Reactions: buzz483 and BOSSK

stufuse

22/10/17
UK

I appreciate your point, that might end up being the case, For me, I’m not sure. If you buy a Gen sub homage on a budget you’re more likely to take it for what it is. They aren’t branded ‘Rolex’ and therefore have clear differences to the Rolexes they pay homage to, thus maybe stopping that plastic carrot scenario,they are nice watches in their own right.

If you go rep, it’s inevitable you’ll chase the closer version as they release.

Reactions: masterpiece777

stufuse

22/10/17
UK

I appreciate your point, that might end up being the case, For me, I’m not sure. If you buy a Gen sub homage on a budget you’re more likely to take it for what it is. They aren’t branded ‘Rolex’ and therefore have clear differences to the Rolexes they pay homage to, thus maybe stopping that plastic carrot scenario,they are nice watches in their own right.

If you go rep, it’s inevitable you’ll chase the closer version as they release.

amica

11/4/20
I simply want a LN version with good SELs, good alignments + a VR movement. Hopefully this new ZF would tick all that then it will be probably worth upgrade from my current Noob V10 2836 :).

Last edited:

puretime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
16/3/06
You forgot the 'Intentional mistakes' part....that was the crux of my irk. Mnkosha stated he is in the industry and let the cat out of the bag in black and white, only to walk it back. I can understand if a better version comes out for watch xyz. But would be put off if the factories intentionally lowered their game for the sake of future

hang on a min mate, I’m not in the replica watch industry, you have mistaken, don’t now how you jumped to that conclusion. There’s no curtain or wizard of OZ. I’m in the manufacturing industry of similar items that are hight quality, large And small scale production, design, machining, CNC and toolmaking. Im in no way affiliated with the replica industry. Just so we are clear, the statement I made was maybe not labeled properly and was sarcasm (apologies for my poor punctuation) and most that have been here long enough would probably realise that. No back peddling here... I was only trying to point out there’s a large amount of work that goes into making some products and that variations are inevitable and not always intentional. My main point was to back up Angus a bit in his efforts to communicate with the forum without criticism especially when some have no idea how their watch is produced.

Thank you my friend :)

Reactions: mnkoshka