• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

We might finally be able to answer this question in 2020

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
puretime These guys are right, an alternative to the old stinky BP 16710 would be amazing, with a vr3185, maybe made by Noob or ARF, think about it, the demand would be monstrous

I follow that, 16710 with vr movement, it's instant buy.

cassapanca

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/12/16
[mention]puretime [/mention] is it possible to pre order a zf LN? Thank you

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

JonasBuskas

Known Member
20/8/10
Which one is the gen and why?

0d0fd7331e277dc7d5fda04b232a9722.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Second from the left ;)

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
i think the far right

I tend to focus on how central are the numbers i.e. not close to xtal or outer area

Last edited:

ryantunna

I'm Pretty Popular
8/7/14
So you still think it's poor value for money, even at 10% of the price of the genuine ?

What I’m saying is they have gone from being $300 reps to $600 reps without fixing the major tell. Bezel insert, crystal and datewheel. I’d rather still have them be $450 than new ones with the same flaws for $600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryantunna

I'm Pretty Popular
8/7/14
why are you so negative? Do the numerals already look underfiled to you? It looks perfect to me

Trust me. Side by side with a gen in low lighting they will be drastically different. I have gens and have Frankened every sub insert with a gen one because the difference is huge. They are always too dull and too thin. Every time.

Reactions: Thrasher

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
Trust me. Side by side with a gen in low lighting they will be drastically different. I have gens and have Frankened every sub insert with a gen one because the difference is huge. They are always too dull and too thin. Every time.

Come on man that's a new extreme for replicas... what next? Side by side with a gen underwater is drastically different.... it's a replica.

ryantunna

I'm Pretty Popular
8/7/14
Come on man that's a new extreme for replicas... what next? Side by side with a gen underwater is drastically different.... it's a replica.

The bezel insert is one of the biggest tells of the rep. That with the crystal and datewheel are basically everything you can see when you look at it straight on.

It’s not the same as underwater. It’s basically every lighting condition except bright direct light. This is well documented in the forum as an issue with ever rep. This is way more important than lug shape, recessed SEL, or any of that stuff people obsess about.

thrillofhunt

Put Some Respect On My Name
Gold Patron
Certified
8/2/11
Seems exciting! Waiting for more pictures Angus

puretime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
16/3/06
The bezel insert is one of the biggest tells of the rep. That with the crystal and datewheel are basically everything you can see when you look at it straight on.

It’s not the same as underwater. It’s basically every lighting condition except bright direct light. This is well documented in the forum as an issue with ever rep. This is way more important than lug shape, recessed SEL, or any of that stuff people obsess about.

Let’s wish the new bezels can change this situation.

Kayatsu1

12/10/19

It’s not the same as underwater. It’s basically every lighting condition except bright direct light. This is well documented in the forum as an issue with ever rep.

I have to agree. In general there is (for obvious reasons because they cost like 5% of the real deal) a visibile difference in finishing, not only in the filling of numerals but in the dept of color and shininess of the insert itself, even the best rep inserts are dull. Gen is gen and until now it’s always a big upgrade over rep parts. The perceived quality of gen parts is just much better. It obviously depends also on your eye. Some aren’t bothered and just enjoy them.
Hope that we can come closer.

puretime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
16/3/06
I have to agree. In general there is (for obvious reasons because they cost like 5% of the real deal) a visibile difference in finishing, not only in the filling of numerals but in the dept of color and shininess of the insert itself, even the best rep inserts are dull. Gen is gen and until now it’s always a big upgrade over rep parts. The perceived quality of gen parts is just much better. It obviously depends also on your eye. Some aren’t bothered and just enjoy them.
Hope that we can come closer.

Even not the latest clean insert or the Zzf insert?

Kayatsu1

12/10/19

I honestly haven’t occasion to keep in my hand the very latest CF insert (v3 if I am not wrong) that is on the new zzf no date v2s for example. But I had the previous versions and there was a noticeable difference in real life. The insert was very dull and I didn’t like it in any condition different than bright direct light.
Regarding the new one, a reputable member of the forum confronted it with a gen and found that there is still a noticeable difference.
This obviously doesn’t cancel the fact that we are coming closer and closer. Just hope that in the future they can care more about finish.

Reactions: KJ2020

botsyboy

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
1/9/09
U.K.

The latest Zzf insert is much improved but still not quite as good as gen. It simply doesn’t have the sparkle of Rolex’s platinum formula. I will have both gen and Zzf insert side by side next week for a true comparison in different lighting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk