• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex announcing new releases 9/1/20

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
The more I see these new ones, the more I wish ZZF releases a 36mm Explorer, lol. I’m sold on the slim lugs, but not if it comes at the expense of that massive bracelet/clasp. Plus, the watch itself does look bigger indeed.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Here‘s the price in Germany.
ZDJWHo.jpg

Those are Euros, right? I can't imagine those lastly long in the case there, if they are even really for sale yet.

But on another note, I mentioned this before - it absolutely looks to me like the insert is the same size as the 116610. The bezel has been measured at ~0.25mm wider. So that creates a GAP between the insert and the bezel rim. It's most noticeable between 45 - 55 on the 126610 in the pic below. Pretty unsightly IMO.

It's either that or the insert is way sunken in the bezel well now. The gap (or shadow) area is plainly visible all the way around on both the watches in the store pic above. It's very apparent on the LN. Either way it doesn't look good. Maybe both factors are in play.

ZDJIPQ.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: watchboi

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Retail on this is $9500......DavidSW price only $27,000 .... WTF!

https://davidsw.com/watches/rolex-w...v-submariner-41mm-basil-world-2020-new-model/

Paul Thorpe put out a video yesterday saying he wouldn't be surprised if Rolex started to buy them back and use the serial number to find and black list the original buyer / flipper across their AD network.

I can't see it happening, but I'd like to see it happening. Especially as half those guys would be the AD's.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Paul Thorpe put out a video yesterday saying he wouldn't be surprised if Rolex started to buy them back and use the serial number to find and black list the original buyer / flipper across their AD network.

I can't see it happening, but I'd like to see it happening. Especially as half those guys would be the AD's.

_UkJYk.gif

I've always had a theory on this. Rolex is 100% happy to undersupply this, which artificially inflates the price on their steel models. Next step is to change their retail price to an AP tier price and ramp up production. Give it a few years and everyone will be able to buy a Sub at MRSP, available as much as any Datejust. Only that MRSP will be €15k, and probably they will sell them like hotcakes.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
I've always had a theory on this. Rolex is 100% happy to undersupply this, which artificially inflates the price on their steel models. Next step is to change their retail price to an AP tier price and ramp up production.

I think this is the fantasy perpetuated on that big watch forum - they think Rolex should be in the holy trinity without realising its more of a fashion and lifestyle brand which make mid-tier watches. I remember some comment once where someone there said Rolex was like a bargain Patek Philippe. Interesting take - could just as easily say they are an overpriced Seiko....

Last edited:

peppercorn

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/5/18
Those are Euros, right? I can't imagine those lastly long in the case there, if they are even really for sale yet.

But on another note, I mentioned this before - it absolutely looks to me like the insert is the same size as the 116610. The bezel has been measured at ~0.25mm wider. So that creates a GAP between the insert and the bezel rim. It's most noticeable between 45 - 55 on the 126610 in the pic below. Pretty unsightly IMO.

It's either that or the insert is way sunken in the bezel well now. The gap (or shadow) area is plainly visible all the way around on both the watches in the store pic above. It's very apparent on the LN. Either way it doesn't look good. Maybe both factors are in play.

ZDJIPQ.jpg

And what about the dial size, is it safe to assume it remains unchanged?

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
And what about the dial size, is it safe to assume it remains unchanged?

I think the dial is slightly larger, though I haven't seen any definitive measurements. It would be hard for bloggers and you tube reviewers to do that. But I say this based on there being a noticeably smaller gap between the crystal and the insert on the 126610. It looks like a larger crystal and that would imply a larger dial. The part number of the crystal would tell us for sure if it's larger. The 295 in the Sub and GMT crystal part numbers denotes 29.5mm.

glai8.jpg

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I think the dial is slightly larger, though I haven't seen any definitive measurements. It would be hard for bloggers and you tube reviewers to do that. But I say this based on there being a noticeably smaller gap between the crystal and the insert on the 126610. It looks like a larger crystal and that would imply a larger dial. The part number of the crystal would tell us for sure if it's larger. The 295 in the Sub and GMT crystal part numbers denotes 29.5mm.

glai8.jpg

One thing is clear, looking at that picture: your theory about the gap between the outer ring of the insert and the bezel is 100% correct. There is indeed a noticeable gap, which is not the case with the 116610LN.

Tbh, I’m not sold at all with the new design. Although the changes are individually very subtle, all of them are Seamaster-ing the Submariner, which is something I definitely don’t like. To me one of the best features of the Sub was the understated profile, offering great wrist presence while looking slightly small in most wrists. That fine balance was staggered when they launched the 116610 and now it’s getting worse with this one, his bigger proportions and massive bracelet and clasp.

Reactions: KJ2020