• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SO MY DAD HAS 2 x GEN GOLD DAY DATES - OR DOES HE??

johloo

Renowned Member
Patron
14/3/17
Nice pieces! Leaning towards the blue dial / diamond bezel one being gen as well. The case looks polished and is still gold – obviously this could’ve been polished down and then plated but more likely just a polished down gen watch. At least the rep has a swiss eta...

Lovelyrose

Renowned Member
2/9/14
Yes I would say the blue is gen as well. Fake diamonds just look different.

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
The first 2 are gens. The black one is 100% rep just buy looking at the dial.

Looks like your father has enjoyed them throughout his life which is great. Get them serviced and you can also start making memories with them knowing your father did as well.

Daryl70

3/7/19
Pretty much yeah.
I think I remember the all gold version from way back when I was a kid. But I didn’t know about the Blue face or the Rep. He also has a Gen DateJust 41 that he’s worn pretty much everyday for years and years. That one has box + papers. My mum reckons the gold watches have been in the cupboard without being worn for at least 25yrs!!

Sent from the RWI App

Wow thats really interesting I like the white gold one

Daryl70

3/7/19
Yes. If my dad had a luxury watch or multiple that he neglected to tell me. It meant he didn't want me to know then and never intended to tell me now or later. My children all know I have gen watches that one day will either be theirs or be sold for something better that I want.

My dad has a Daytona SS plus a Yacht Master that he thinks I don't know. I am not going to ask why or find out the reasons to why. I am wealthy enough to buy my own and don't intend to expect him passing them down to me. At the same time, I don't expect to feed his ass when he is older. Then again, my dad and I are not in speaking terms so F him.

Sorry to hear that hopefully you two can sort it out. I just found it interesting that you wouldn't know your dad had nice watches like that

jeremyhuang13

OG and a Supporter
Supporter
4/10/13
Rubber ball opener ordered from Amazon. Hopefully I'll be able to get the case off the Blue version

May as well order a diamond tester :) Glad you are able to identify the rep. Let's hope the diamond watch is real. 115g seems light for a gold watch. You should be able to feel the weight difference between all of those watches. 138 and 115 is a big difference :)

Wear them in good health!

jeremyhuang13

OG and a Supporter
Supporter
4/10/13
Sorry to hear that hopefully you two can sort it out. I just found it interesting that you wouldn't know your dad had nice watches like that

Thanks. Yes, my dad is quite a selfish man. He likes to keep things close to his chest including those watches. Perhaps he figured the money spent on those watches could have been better used to feed us when we were young. Things happen for a reason and for me, it happened for the best. I learned to how to NOT be like him and be more responsible toward my own family.

In the end, it is all good :) My son and daughters are wearing rep watches. They are under the age of 10 so I want to get them started on wearing them. They don't know the difference between gens and reps. So by the time they are adults, I will give them each 1 gen as my gift :) So they can have good memories of me every time they look at their wrist to check time.

Reactions: Daryl70

Daryl70

3/7/19
Thanks. Yes, my dad is quite a selfish man. He likes to keep things close to his chest including those watches. Perhaps he figured the money spent on those watches could have been better used to feed us when we were young. Things happen for a reason and for me, it happened for the best. I learned to how to NOT be like him and be more responsible toward my own family.

In the end, it is all good :) My son and daughters are wearing rep watches. They are under the age of 10 so I want to get them started on wearing them. They don't know the difference between gens and reps. So by the time they are adults, I will give them each 1 gen as my gift :) So they can have good memories of me every time they look at their wrist to check time.

Unfortunately you can't change someone you can only change what you do and its good you have learned from his mistakes. Im sure your children will love them and have very fond memories and a sentimental attachment to the watches you give them rep or gen along as they was a gift from you

Reactions: GerRepFan

Docrolex

Known Member
28/12/19
Germany
You should be aware that the 3135 movement was used from around the 1990s. So your dad couldnt have bought them 35 to 40 years before in a pub. And even when you assume that you were mistaken by 10 years or so, the Watches must have been new to almost new when he got them. What sort of people are selling new Daydates, even one with diamonds, in a pub? In the 1990s both watches together must have had the equivalent value to a new car, and then sold cheap in a bar? I dont believe this.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
You should be aware that the 3135 movement was used from around the 1990s. So your dad couldnt have bought them 35 to 40 years before in a pub. And even when you assume that you were mistaken by 10 years or so, the Watches must have been new to almost new when he got them. What sort of people are selling new Daydates, even one with diamonds, in a pub? In the 1990s both watches together must have had the equivalent value to a new car, and then sold cheap in a bar? I dont believe this.

Its a 3155. Says it on it. Introduced in 1988 so 30+ years isnt wrong. Also if you can afford a diamond day date, you can afford to sell it/lose it in a bet :p

Last edited:

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
I love theses threads, nice watches especially the diamond one