• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SO MY DAD HAS 2 x GEN GOLD DAY DATES - OR DOES HE??

Princey73

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/5/18
Quick bit of background - I've just discovered that my 73 year Dad who has Alzheimer's has 3 x 18k Gold Rolex Day Dates. He knew one was a Rep but couldn't remember which one!! I've now got the three watches in hand and from what I've learned here on RWI (Thanks RWI by the way!!) I'm pretty convinced I can tell which one is definitely a fake. But as I said my Dad is pretty sure 2 are Gens. There are no papers - from what I can gather he bought them off a mate in the Pub some 35 or 40 yrs ago.
My Brother-In-Law has a Gen Gold version and we've weighed them. They are pretty damn close. Almost exactly the same at around 130
-135g.
So I ordered a caseback opener the thought I'd take a deep breath and put them on here for advice...……...Gen or Rep!!

Mr Seamaster

Renowned Member
27/4/12
Movement is 100% gen and due to this I believe the rest is too, or at least I can’t make out any things that would make me changing my mind.

Lovely piece sir!

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
I only see one watch?! Where are the other 2

Princey73

21/5/18
Thanks for taking the time to review the pics and reply. Really appreciated.

I'm struggling to remove the caseback of the 2nd one that might be a Gen.
I'm a little nervous of how much pressure to exert!!

Daryl70

3/7/19
Thanks for taking the time to review the pics and reply. Really appreciated.

I'm struggling to remove the caseback of the 2nd one that might be a Gen.
I'm a little nervous of how much pressure to exert!!

Use a rubber ball that way you can't damage the caseback but id say the first one looks gen by the balance bridge

R2L

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
Take a closer look at the bracelet on the blue dialed one. These should be all gold, whether YG or WG. Yours looks chipped on the sides of the mid links indicating it’s plated. I wouldn’t be surprised if this one is you rep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Princey73

21/5/18
Thanks - I'll give the ball method a try!!

The black face one below I'm 100% sure is a Rep

Daryl70

3/7/19
Also remove the crap from outside the watch before you open the next one make sure none of that falls in

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Take the bracelet off too. You will have the serial number between the lugs on one side and model on the other. If those #s are accurate, it makes a much more convincing case for them being gen.

but they are all supposed to be 100% 18k gold so the weight should be noticeable vs stainless. Or what should be.

Reactions: Daryl70

Daryl70

3/7/19
Take the bracelet off too. You will have the serial number between the lugs on one side and model on the other. If those #s are accurate, it makes a much more convincing case for them being gen.

but they are all supposed to be 100% 18k gold so the weight should be noticeable vs stainless. Or what should be.

Yeah thats a good point the two gens should be the same and the stainless not. as long as the same amount of links have been removed.

Daryl70

3/7/19
Thanks for the advice Daryl70. Appreciated.

Have you only found out your dad had two gens this late on in life or did you know when you was kid and maybe forgot? How many years have you not known ha

Princey73

21/5/18
Have you only found out your dad had two gens this late on in life or did you know when you was kid and maybe forgot? How many years have you not known ha

Pretty much yeah.
I think I remember the all gold version from way back when I was a kid. But I didn’t know about the Blue face or the Rep. He also has a Gen DateJust 41 that he’s worn pretty much everyday for years and years. That one has box + papers. My mum reckons the gold watches have been in the cupboard without being worn for at least 25yrs!!

Sent from the RWI App

jeremyhuang13

OG and a Supporter
Supporter
4/10/13
The second one has diamond around the bezel. If you have a diamond tester, it's an easy indication if it is real or fake. Go on Amazon and buy a rubber ball or the Rolex case back opener.

Nice watches, I am leaning toward the diamond one being the rep.

jeremyhuang13

OG and a Supporter
Supporter
4/10/13

Yes. If my dad had a luxury watch or multiple that he neglected to tell me. It meant he didn't want me to know then and never intended to tell me now or later. My children all know I have gen watches that one day will either be theirs or be sold for something better that I want.

My dad has a Daytona SS plus a Yacht Master that he thinks I don't know. I am not going to ask why or find out the reasons to why. I am wealthy enough to buy my own and don't intend to expect him passing them down to me. At the same time, I don't expect to feed his ass when he is older. Then again, my dad and I are not in speaking terms so F him.

Reactions: Daryl70

Princey73

21/5/18
The Black face version is for sure a Rep. I managed to get that one opened up

Princey73

21/5/18
Rubber ball opener ordered from Amazon. Hopefully I'll be able to get the case off the Blue version

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
You didn't really need to open up the black one to know it was a rep...