• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex GMT green dial gold plated

jeremyhuang13

OG and a Supporter
Supporter
4/10/13
You should read about your movement. It's a 2824 CHS timebomb, if you bought the one in the link

How to set your timebomb movement

GMT Movements Explained

Why CHS GMT movements fail

I bought yet another timebomb?! We just had the discussion of picking the wrong one on the Bluesy in the "eye candy" thread :D.....

So without knowing it, I used the "middle position" to move back and forth in adjusting the GMT and the hour hand. The day was 15th so I had to wind it all the way to today's date "3rd". I was lucky.

So upon reading.. are you suggesting I should just use position 3 and just keep on rotating through the minutes to hours until the correct date? "I will only be wearing this watch seldom." I thought one the the cool feature was to move forward and back with the second position / hour hand but turned out... a good concept has major flaws.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I bought yet another timebomb?! We just had the discussion of picking the wrong one on the Bluesy in the "eye candy" thread :D.....

So without knowing it, I used the "middle position" to move back and forth in adjusting the GMT and the hour hand. The day was 15th so I had to wind it all the way to today's date "3rd". I was lucky.

So upon reading.. are you suggesting I should just use position 3 and just keep on rotating through the minutes to hours until the correct date? "I will only be wearing this watch seldom." I thought one the the cool feature was to move forward and back with the second position / hour hand but turned out... a good concept has major flaws.

The movement is really not that fragile if you use it correctly. If you need to hour jump backwards you can. Just don't do it between 9PM and 3AM local time on the watch.

For example if you want to create a new GMT offset that needs the hour hand to go back 6 hours and getting there by moving the hour hand forward 18 hours would change the date to 1 day ahead, you can proceed as follows.

Set the local time to at least 9 am. Then hour jump backwards to 3AM. This will increase the GMT offset by the desired 6 hours. Then set the local time to current time in pos 3 and the GMT hand stays at its desired offset.

When changing the date, always change it forward. I hour jump forward from 3AM to 9PM (18 jumps) in pos 2, then manually advance all hands forward from 9PM to 3AM which changes the date. Repeat till you get the correct date set. This dramatically reduces date setting time without putting extra stress on the jump click. The datewheel driving wheel is connected to the intermediate datewheel which is connected to the jump click so hour jumping a date change puts extra stress on the jump click and doing it backwards puts even more stress on it and is a sure recipe for breakage. If you've ever used a 2836 ICHS, hour jumping the GMT uses an identical jump click part. They never break because they never have extra stress on them from trying to propel a datewheel.

Reactions: James2020

James2020

1/6/20
The movement is really not that fragile if you use it correctly. If you need to hour jump backwards you can. Just don't do it between 9PM and 3AM local time on the watch.

For example if you want to create a new GMT offset that needs the hour hand to go back 6 hours and getting there by moving the hour hand forward 18 hours would change the date to 1 day ahead, you can proceed as follows.

Set the local time to at least 9 am. Then hour jump backwards to 3AM. This will increase the GMT offset by the desired 6 hours. Then set the local time to current time in pos 3 and the GMT hand stays at its desired offset.

When changing the date, always change it forward. I hour jump forward from 3AM to 9PM (18 jumps) in pos 2, then manually advance all hands forward from 9PM to 3AM which changes the date. Repeat till you get the correct date set. This dramatically reduces date setting time without putting extra stress on the jump click. The datewheel driving wheel is connected to the intermediate datewheel which is connected to the jump click so hour jumping a date change puts extra stress on the jump click and doing it backwards puts even more stress on it and is a sure recipe for breakage. If you've ever used a 2836 ICHS, hour jumping the GMT uses an identical jump click part. They never break because they never have extra stress on them from trying to propel a datewheel.

Great info as always!

Sorry to digress, are the above instructions applicable to a gen 116710 BLNR with 3186 movement which has the fragile hour click spring?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Great info as always!

Sorry to digress, are the above instructions applicable to a gen 116710 BLNR with 3186 movement which has the fragile hour click spring?

Sure you can certainly do that as a precaution. I never do a backwards date change on my gen 16710 with a 3185 for the same reason. Sure it *should* handle it but I like being careful.

Reactions: James2020

jeremyhuang13

OG and a Supporter
Supporter
4/10/13

Thank you. I got that down.

QUOTE=KJ2020;n9140007]

[/QUOTE]

Ok, I got that. But I thought the thread said to never adjust any of the hands using a clockwise direction (moving hour hand backward on reps) on the crown if possible (since the counter-clockwise is moving forward that is opposite of the gen).

One thing I did notice from this "LN" factory is the GMT does rotate and follow when I am changing the time in position 3. Upon setting I believe each hour moves forward, the GMT moves only 1 hour for every 2 normal hours. It isn't accurate and doesn't seem to work properly. For example. I set EST at 9am while the GMT arrow is pointed at 6am. by 1pm, the GMT should be at 10am but it is only at 8am. So after a few rotations, it's all over the place.

or am I missing something?

jeremyhuang13

OG and a Supporter
Supporter
4/10/13
Ok KJ2020,

Tonight has been very educational. I looked up how GMT works and seems like I wasn't reading the GMT correctly. Now, I got it :p

In short, I wasn't setting the GMT time according to the 24 hour bezel but based inner dial time. So when I tried to set 1PM for the GMT, instead of being at 0700 on the dial (13 on the bezel) I set it at 1:00 on the dial (2 on the bezel). So it was all out of wack. I was reading it wrong..... I was reading it all wrong.

Now I am advancing based on your recommendation link and setting the GMT correctly.

I cannot thank you enough!

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Not hour jumping backwards ever is overkill to keep you from making the critical mistake of doing it between 9PM and 3AM local time on the watch. There is no increased danger of hour jumping backwards during the other 18 hours of the day local time.

LN is not a factory, it is the model name of the watch

LN Black insert
BLRO Blue and red
BLNR Blue and black
CHNR Chocolate and black

Your watch is from GM factory - GMF

Regarding your hand movements, you understand correctly how they are supposed to work. Something's wrong if they are not doing that.