• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[Pompompurin's] Chasing OCD: who has the best ETA Submariner hands?

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
I noticed that most aftermarket ETA submariner hands suck because of multiple reasons:
1. Lack of taper on the seconds hand
2. Bad proportions and length is bad
3. The features on the hour hand is noticeably bad (e.g., the rectangular lume is too short or thin)
4. The hands aren't pointy and sharp
5. The hands look paper thin
6. The hands are cut poorly (which is especially noticeable on the centre circle of the seconds hand)

... I can go on and on...

Although most people in this forum don't seem to care as much about their Submariner hands, to me, the watch hands stand out as one of the most obvious tell signs. For instance, I have spotted Submariners with aftermarket hands on Rolex Passion Report's Instagram page or among the collection from famous Rolex collectors.

TC used to sell the best available ETA Submariner hands; however, as we all know, he is out of the rep business.

Therefore, I took matters to my own hands, using a file, sandpaper, abrasion pad, autosol, etc, to reshape and get better ETA Submariner hands.
Although the hands are not exactly perfect, it's the closest I could get:
- The length and proportion compares well to my gen 16610 hands set.
- The proportion of the features (e.g., the rectangular lume area on the hour hand and minute hand, and the small triangle before the tip) compares fine to my gen 16610 hands set.
- I created taper on the front of the seconds hand, like gen.
- I reduced the size of the circle at the back of the seconds hand, like gen.
- I made all of the hands pointy, like gen.
- I polished the sides of the hands.

20200731-235209-2.jpg

See that taper and the reduced size of the back circle
20200731-234524-1.jpg

Pointy hour hand
20200731-230158-1.jpg

Update: more pics

Last edited:

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
I'll take them when green, haha.

Really amazing work bro. For the rest of us which hands would you recommend to use OOTB. Because sadly most of us simply have to do that.

Haha, I might make a few sets and sell it. At the moment, modifying these ETA Submariner hands takes a great deal of patience and eyestrain. If you are interested, lemme know.

The best OOTB ETA Submariner hands are from Rafflestime. Second place is Helenarou.
Clarks, Startime, stock Cartel, Classic Watch Parts, etc fall short by a few mile.

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
JF 16610's seconds hand also suffers from the same problem where the tip is not tapered enough like gen.
I fixed this problem yesterday and polished the sides of the seconds hand. The tip is now pointier and sharper than before:

guybythelake

13/7/14
Haha, I might make a few sets and sell it. At the moment, modifying these ETA Submariner hands takes a great deal of patience and eyestrain. If you are interested, lemme know.

The best OOTB ETA Submariner hands are from Rafflestime. Second place is Helenarou.
Clarks, Startime, stock Cartel, Classic Watch Parts, etc fall short by a few mile.

I thought i had some free time in my hands... NTW i bought a set of hands from raffletime and i thought they were very good.

How do you do this? How do you polish the sides of hands?

Amazing.

guybythelake

13/7/14
file, sandpaper, abrasion pad, autosol, dremel, small vise, and a lot of attention and patience

I tried to polish a set of silver Noob hands and it started to turn yellow... i thought it was how the hands were made. Or maybe something I did wrong? Do you do anything to prevent this? Or is it even preventable?

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
I tried to polish a set of silver Noob hands and it started to turn yellow... i thought it was how the hands were made. Or maybe something I did wrong? Do you do anything to prevent this? Or is it even preventable?

it happens because the base metal is brass
i polish ever so lightly with the finest sandpaper grit to reduce the chance of this happening

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

guybythelake

13/7/14
it happens because the base metal is brass
i polish ever so lightly with the finest sandpaper grit to reduce the chance of this happening

Thats what I thought! I used cape cod cloth and brass started to show (no sand paper). I am trying to understand how you are reshaping (requiring removal of plating) a second hand without brass showing. Is all/most eta hands are brass core or only some like Noob?

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Thats what I thought! I used cape cod cloth and brass started to show (no sand paper). I am trying to understand how you are reshaping (requiring removal of plating) a second hand without brass showing. Is all/most eta hands are brass core or only some like Noob?

Not all hands are made of brass, i guess

scottiedog

I'm Pretty Popular
15/7/16
file, sandpaper, abrasion pad, autosol, dremel, small vise, and a lot of attention and patience

:notworthy: I can't even begin to imagine. Awesome work!

Thanks also for confirming the best ootb sub hands for eta. Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: pompompurin

Tobi121

Known Member
9/7/18
Do you know if rafflestime are complete stainless steel or are they brass plated?

me&tedd

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/3/15
Are raffles dials and raffles time hand sets different? They seem to use the same reference pictures.

me&tedd

3/3/15
Are RD and RT hand sets different? They seem to use the same reference pictures.

me&tedd

3/3/15
And another thing: why nobody is bothered by wrong Mercedes sign proportions? It would be most frustrating for me. I think to buy a hands set from RD or RT is more like a lottery. I have bought a couple of times from RT (the same ebay lot) and every time received different sets.

@pompompurin what is the hands set you are started with? You mentioned to make a couple of sets and sell, so how is your progress on it? ????

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong

I also noticed that a lot of aftermarket hands have brass base with plating. Therefore, sharpening the tip to create that taper effect would very likely expose the brass base.

However, it is not a big issue. It is so hard to notice there is brass on the side of the hands, when the hands are installed and the watch is worn.

:notworthy: I can't even begin to imagine. Awesome work!

Thanks also for confirming the best ootb sub hands for eta. Cheers.

Thank you for the kind words haha

Although there are still rooms for improvement for the Rafflestime hands, they do the job well for now