• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob bracelet baby oil, dry lube or alternative?

zyzzbrah9

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/6/20
Hi, I have just received my rep from Ryan at InTime and I have to say I’m very impressed!

I have read about giving the bracelet a “spa treatment” to improve the feel and reduce the squeaking.

I am just looking for some first hand advice from people with experience using different methods as to whether they found that baby oil attracts more dirt as opposed to the dry lube option such as white lightning?

If anybody has any completely unique alternatives they have tried and tested I’m all ears!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beano2278

Horology Curious
9/12/18
I used by cycle chain dry lube, once its worked its way into the links it setts more like a wax, baby oil I guess would still be present in gaps and come out over time making a mess, the setting of the dry lube is the important part from my understanding and I've never had an issue and great results.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

zyzzbrah9

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/6/20
I used by cycle chain dry lube, once its worked its way into the links it setts more like a wax, baby oil I guess would still be present in gaps and come out over time making a mess, the setting of the dry lube is the important part from my understanding and I've never had an issue and great results.

This is what I presumed, the baby oil being rather messy and unpleasant.

What brand of dry lube do you use? I’ve seen white lightning mentioned but I can’t get it easily here in the UK. Will any dry lube do the trick or am I looking for specifics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beano2278

Horology Curious
9/12/18
So I've used a couple for Halford from the Muc-off dry lube range but the best I've used for application and ease of clean up and effectiveness was actually Finish Line Teflon plus dry lube.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000C17HKS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_bXFgFbF12ECAF

Just pop the bracelet into a thick zip lock bag, put some dry lube into the bag over the bracelet, lock the bag and massage the bracelet, leave for 10 mins, remove from the bag and leave out in the air for a further 10 mins and then wash sparcely with liquid soap and cold water just to get the lube off of the main outer faces of the bracelet and then dry off.

Reactions: zyzzbrah9

Cheesemonger

I'm Pretty Popular
23/11/13
So I've used a couple for Halford from the Muc-off dry lube range but the best I've used for application and ease of clean up and effectiveness was actually Finish Line Teflon plus dry lube.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000C17HKS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_bXFgFbF12ECAF

Just pop the bracelet into a thick zip lock bag, put some dry lube into the bag over the bracelet, lock the bag and massage the bracelet, leave for 10 mins, remove from the bag and leave out in the air for a further 10 mins and then wash sparcely with liquid soap and cold water just to get the lube off of the main outer faces of the bracelet and then dry off.

I second this method, however I use the Rock N Roll dry lube. It works very well.

fgiTJ.jpg

Wacht

Renowned Member
6/7/20
After reading up on the ingredients of the baby oil's available, I saw that most of them contained vegetable oils. So I just drenched my clasp in some seed oil mixed with water for an hour and washed with soap. It worked like magic. Can't really say that it's attracted any dirt, but sure that might happen.

I bet the dry lubes would be ideal if compared to seed oil, and I will test that with a bracelet later on as well. But in my opinion, when I've used dry lube on my bike, it does attract dirt as well.

So if you want to apply some dirt resistant lubricant, I'd suggest with the type of graphite gel discussed in this topic below:
https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/metal-bracelet-lubricant.909815/page-2

Good luck & hope to hear some results, which ever method you choose!

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
Dry lubes w/ Teflon and/or graphite work great! :applause:

Dry lube. Doesn't attract dirt and grime like vasoline or other lubes.

Whatever you do, don't use WD40. It's total crap.

I agree that you shouldn't use it on your bracelet, but WD40 isn't "crap. it's just not intended for this application, it's simply not a lubricant. Biggest misconception on the planet.

Last edited:

KushBandit

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/18
Whisky-A-Go-Go
I agree that you shouldn't use it on your bracelet, but WD40 isn't "crap. it's just not intended for this application, it's simply not a lubricant. Biggest misconception on the planet.

That's what I meant, I should have clarified. While WD40 is a great product for many applications, it's total crap for a watch bracelet. It is mainly for water-displacement, with a slight amount of lubricant and detergent. Great on door hinges, terrible for bracelets.

Out of the few methods I've tried, nothing has worked or lasted as well as the dry lube with teflon.

Wacht

Renowned Member
6/7/20

Hear ye, hear ye!

Not to mention, WD40 does wash off easily due to its low viscosity.

Akilles

Lord Commander
Certified
11/6/17
The North
Dry lube. Doesn't attract dirt and grime like vasoline or other lubes.

Whatever you do, don't use WD40. It's total crap.

I'll stick to vaseline. Have not noticed any mentionable dirt attraction with my "normal" lifestyle.

But if you crawl in the forest and play beach volley every day then I don't know.

Or do like many other users:

417f0f6e40d280e8baeb667332f441b4.jpg

Last edited:

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
That's what I meant, I should have clarified. While WD40 is a great product for many applications, it's total crap for a watch bracelet. It is mainly for water-displacement, with a slight amount of lubricant and detergent. Great on door hinges, terrible for bracelets.

Unless your bracelet is made from door hinges. I have to return some video tapes... :bolt:

Molden

Horology Curious
13/8/22

Do you know if I can use this dry lube method for gold wrapped bracelets? do the damage the coating?
I have a rg dd and very next link after SEL squeaks so nasty that I'm losing my mind :ROFLMAO:

ross29

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/10/09
I've always used graphite powder and it works great so far. It's kind of a pain to deal with sometimes, but it works almost immediately. No overnight soaking needed, but to each his own I suppose.