• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A Fistful of 5-Digit FrankenSubs!

OldNavitimer

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
22/1/19
I respect and admire the work that went in to producing this review. Very impressive! This should be a sticky in its own category.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: p0pperini

Wacht

Renowned Member
6/7/20
Thanks for the kind compliments Wacht. And that's an interesting question... The problem is that I flip-flop constantly on which model in the 5-digit series is my favourite.I think, if I were to be pressed into going for one, it would be the 16613 LN. Or a tritium dial model. See, I just can't decide. However, if I was really going to commit to owning just one Sub, then I'd choose a 1680, without any hesitation. I really do love a top-hat plexi, big mag cyclops, open 6/9 datewheel and printed dial.

I understand that sort of ambivalence, and to top that having to actually choose one over the other... harsh.

Anyhow, thanks for this magnificent showcase, brightens a rainy day.

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Thanks! I'm especially grateful for the nice comment about the titles - I used to be a graphic designer, many years ago. :)
Oh so now so much is starting to make sense.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
I keep going back to the first page of your post!! It is spectacular - I love the layout, the photo with the reflected image, the anchor - really this should be on the dust cover of a hardback book - it's that terrific.
And again, the titles are just super. Funny how the first thing that popped in my mind when I saw the first image is Clint Eastwood's movie "A Fistful of Dollars..." - whether your title was a conscious or unconscious nod to that, I don't know - but I think it's interesting that the watches eclipse the same time period as the movie!

Just super - I love it! Mods please make this a sticky!!!

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Funny how the first thing that popped in my mind when I saw the first image is Clint Eastwood's movie "A Fistful of Dollars..." - whether your title was a conscious or unconscious nod to that, I don't know - but I think it's interesting that the watches eclipse the same time period as the movie!
Thanks very much sfgerl, I appreciate your kind words. And yes, the movie title was in the back of my mind - and the movie poster design also influenced the typography of the title image.

At the same time as writing this piece, in the back of the mind I was thinking of a couple of follow-up articles to do in the future... "For a Few Dollars More" could be how I introduce the Frankened Kermits in a new post, as I'm spending some $$ on them at the moment, and of course "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" will highlight some of my own attempts at modding Subs (although that relies on me ever managing to produce a good one)... :)

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
At the same time as writing this piece, in the back of the mind I was thinking of a couple of follow-up articles to do in the future... "For a Few Dollars More" could be how I introduce the Frankened Kermits in a new post, as I'm spending some $$ on them at the moment, and of course "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" will highlight some of my own attempts at modding Subs (although that relies on me ever managing to produce a good one)... :)

Well, you must do a sequel - and the Kermits would be perfect! I highly doubt that you have any "ugly" modded watches... I happen to know for a fact that you have great taste - why? Well, it's not because of your OP, as you might suspect. No, it's because your fave watch is a 1680 with a plexi top hat, etc. And guess what I had on my wrist this morning when I read that?
GgKRI.jpg

I rest my case. ;)

Last edited:

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Amazing collection complimented very well by the equally amazing photos and write-up.

Looking forward to your next series...

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
Beauty’s! Love gotta catch em all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

enduser

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
29/7/20
UK
Truly inspiring. Professional quality photographs showing all the beautiful dents and dings that add so much character. Thank you for this fantastic post and what a wonderful collection

maitre yoda

11/1/19
France - Savoie
Hello Pop,
while strolling this morning on Rwi, I discovered this review and Paf, the slap !
Superb layout, photos and texts.
Really happy to read.
Enjoy your watches, they are enviable.
All the best.

;)

thorne

16600 FTW
8/3/10
Sling City
What an incredible collection. Congratulations.

And the fantastic photographs really bring out the details well, love the spider dials.

Wear them in good health!

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Thanks for the kind comments chaps, I’m glad you enjoyed my mini Subfest!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Danandy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/6/20
Wow - amazing set of watches. Keen to understand the history of spider detail on the dials as I’ve never seen this before?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Wow - amazing set of watches. Keen to understand the history of spider detail on the dials as I’ve never seen this before?

The spider web dial effect is a flaw in the composition of the lacquer on the dial, that starts to crack over the passage of time. Rolex identified this as an error and corrected the lacquer, and a "defective" dial would be replaced by Rolex when your watch was serviced. So now that they're quite rare to come by, they are becoming valued by collectors - in the same way that faded "tropical" dials are valued. Their value is in the fact they're all unique - like fingerprints - no two dials will have cracked and crazed the same way.

Danandy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/6/20
Wow very interesting - and also thank you for bringing up the tropical as I’d seen that on eBay crystals being sold and had no idea what it meant