• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

I proudly present you my Franken Rolex 16700 (pic heavy)!!!!!!

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Before i start giving you the details, i want to give my special thanks to tripdog! I have no words about this awesome guy, he is a true asset to this community and members like him remind me the true RWI spirit! Thank you my friend for delivering this piece and for all the help you provided me during the built!!! Top notch service and guy!!! You will understand what i am talking about when you read the building process.

And now let's get into the details! It all started when i got these parts https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...s/8279811-ingredients-available-recipe-needed
I knew these parts where not 100% compatible with the 16700 model but i did not care that much about it. My knowledge about rolex was not that good so if they were any mismatches i would not notice it lol. So i started gathering the rest of parts as to complete my first fraknen rolex project!

List of the parts

So in the watch were installed the below:
  • Old NOOB 16710 case
  • Gen dial (swiss only one)
  • Helenarou DWO
  • Rep hands
  • Gen bezel insert
  • Gen crown (the whole assembly)
  • Gen 93150 bracelet (except the fliplock clip)
  • Gen 501b end links
  • Gen crystal
  • Seagull 2836 movement
A few more details about the project:

The fliplock was reshaped so that it closes correctly.

The gen crystal didn't fit in the case, it was 0.5 mm too large in diameter. Crystal was machined aperture wider and slightly deeper so that the gen crystal fits but with the rep gasket in place (rep gasket is lower in height). Crystal sits at the correct height in the case/above the insert.

The dial aperture in the case was very large, about 28.5 mm, and the gen dial is 27.3 meaning the dial couldn't selk-centre in the case even when mounted on the movement - it was moving around when you pulled out/push in the crown. A movement ring was machined which fits the case perfectly and has a groove in the top to hold the dial in place - it's completely secure and the dial can't move around.

The gen hands didn't fit the 2836 movement so a rep set was relumed to match the dial.

The dial has been cleaned up but there are some marks around the centre where it looks like the hands were in contact with the dial for a long period of time - or else the watch was water damaged and the hands were touching the dial when it was dismantled. These marks could't be removed as they are in the paint surface. There was a lot of dirt around the outer edge of the dial which was cleaned off and some of the minute hash marks were also a little damaged, they were painted back in place.

The bezel assembly wasn't gen spec (it had a wire ring running under the lip of the rehaut) and the bezel ring was far too shallow and too small in diameter for the gen insert.

Case was machines to accept a gen spec bezel assembly and a JF bezel assembly from a 16610 was used.

And now to the pics, as this thread is worthless without photos!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
tripdog does such incredible work, this watch is so beautiful man. It looks well worn and appropriately aged but like it just had an overhaul to start its next 30 years. Bravo, enjoy it - a permanent keeper for sure. Unless you want to sell it me of course, haha.

nflanalyst

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/2/20
I haven't been in the game long, and I'm getting more interested in Franken's. That being said, I have a couple questions:

1) How much does a setup like this cost? (ballpark would be fine)

2) What does the process of reluming look like? To get the signature Rolex blue lume, do you need to have hands with that type of lume already on them?

Thanks!

R2L

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
Beautiful watch and marvelously built. Thank you for sharing.

I do have a couple of questions.
1. A 16700 should have lug holes. Are you planning to add those in the future?
2. How will you remove the endlinks, when they do not have the slots needed for no-lug-holed cases? Or is the bracelet now mounted permanently?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
tripdog does such incredible work, this watch is so beautiful man. It looks well worn and appropriately aged but like it just had an overhaul to start its next 30 years. Bravo, enjoy it - a permanent keeper for sure. Unless you want to sell it me of course, haha.

He sure does! I was wearing this for over 10 days in a row, i even forgot to post this thread...

I haven't been in the game long, and I'm getting more interested in Franken's. That being said, I have a couple questions:

1) How much does a setup like this cost? (ballpark would be fine)

2) What does the process of reluming look like? To get the signature Rolex blue lume, do you need to have hands with that type of lume already on them?

Thanks!

Well, the cost depends on how cheap the parts you will find the parts but if i had to give an approximation i would say a little over 2k (parts, labor, shipping costs etc)

Beautiful watch and marvelously built. Thank you for sharing.

I do have a couple of questions.
1. A 16700 should have lug holes. Are you planning to add those in the future?
2. How will you remove the endlinks, when they do not have the slots needed for no-lug-holed cases? Or is the bracelet now mounted permanently?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spot on questions! I did realize this only after the project was completed. As i stated my rolex knowledge is pretty much zero. The plan at the moment is the bracelet to stay there permanently. One of the future additions i am planing is to drill lug holes in case. There is a chance i will destroy the end links while trying to remove the bracelet in that case...

Reactions: R2L and nflanalyst

R2L

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
Wear and enjoy your new watch until the time comes to do further work on it. By then you’ll have gotten to know gen 16700’s better and can guide your modder with more specific directions.

I’m a huge fan of these GMT’s and can see a lot of work went into this one. Don’t be in a hurry to sell it. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk