• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ROLEX SKY-DWELLER 326934 GEN VS NOOB ( $22,000 VS $398)

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Number 6 point does that mean you can't tell the difference with the naked eye between white gold and stainless Steel? Thanks

Of course that's what that means. Only the bezel is WG on the gen 326934.

ViperGTS

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
1/1/10
great writeup. there is such a crisp-ness to the edges of a gen that the reps have not been able to match. you can see it on the inside of the lugs

Reactions: aje435

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
So is the gmt sub Dial matte on both gen and noob? Just a different color.

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
https://thewatchlounge.com/rolex-sky-dweller-steel-ref-326934-review-with-price/

Regarding the rep crown functions, it works like a 2836 ICHS. There is no hour jumping like the gen, and the month indicator on the rep is moved manually with the bezel.

Crown 1 - Winding
Crown 2 - Quickset date (clockwise)
Crown 2 - GMT wheel set (anti-clockwise)
Crown 3 - Time setting

The GMT wheel setting in crown position 2 is continuous (no discrete steps) which can be a blessing or a curse. I prefer it this way because you have unlimited control over exactly where it is set, unlike a 2836 ICHS GMT hand which jumps only to specific points 1 hour apart dictated by the click spring.

However it can be a little frustrating to set the rep Sky-D 24 hour wheel exactly where you want it because there is a little lag in the gears so it can shift a little when you push the crown in and the wheel can lag a little til the gears catch after you've reset it. At times I have taken 8 or 10 attempts to bracket my positioning of the wheel before it stayed working the way I wanted it to. Once it is set, it's best to leave it alone.

Thanks man.
Does the month setting work on this Noob version as well?

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Thanks OP. Great write up.
The 10gramm difference comes exactly from the white gold bezel. This weights 10gramms ;)

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks man.
Does the month setting work on this Noob version as well?

Month setting is done manually on the Noob with the bezel. (It was in my text you quoted, haha.)

Good call on the bezel weight!

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Month setting is done manually on the Noob with the bezel. (It was in my text you quoted, haha.)

Good call on the bezel weight!

Haha damn. Too fast in reading... just had a look at the crown positions 1,2...

Looks like a good rep to me and probably the only one that is comparable to gen atm. Although it won’t accept mods like crystal, dial or whatsoever, I’m thinking of purchasing this one and just keep it as it is. No one will notice the differences anyway.
On the other hand, I thought about purchasing the gen two tone. Because they start at quiet “low” pricing

etashazam

No more watches pls
Supporter
Certified
9/10/16
CONUS
yeah, for me it’s a very decent rep if noob update the DW font ,

Some others detalhes we normally can not spot without gen in hand.

Enviado 从 mio iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

jcast45

Horology Curious
18/9/17
Regarding the rep crown functions,...

I went ahead and ordered after reading your writeup. My first order. Rookie question: Do the watches come with instructions explaining the crown functions for proper date/time setting or are these forums the only source of info.? Thanks again for the writeup.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I went ahead and ordered after reading your writeup. My first order. Rookie question: Do the watches come with instructions explaining the crown functions for proper date/time setting or are these forums the only source of info.? Thanks again for the writeup.

No instructions come with the reps bro. But that's one reason we all come here.

Reactions: mega12

Doc brown

1/11/17
Couldn't come at a better time. About to put my money down on both the colours. The fluted bezel has a nice shine on the Noob too which is great.

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Couldn't come at a better time. About to put my money down on both the colours. The fluted bezel has a nice shine on the Noob too which is great.

Going to get another one myself bro as soon as the TTs come out. Black or champagne dial are both really nice!

DiggerOfWatches

Gold Patron
Certified
4/7/19
Down Under
Thanks for the review, greatly appreciated. And others input too.
Been thinking a lot about this watch. This post has probably tipped me over the edge.

thinwhiteduke

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/16
Regarding the rep crown functions, it works like a 2836 ICHS. There is no hour jumping like the gen, and the month indicator on the rep is moved manually with the bezel.... Thanks for your very clear and categorical reply, Sir KJ. Amazing work-around using the 2813, achieving similar functionalities. I mean not automatically doing it, but I don’t mind manual monthly adjustments using the bezel. Would have been cool to have jumping hour hand function but I guess Yiu can’t expect too much from a 2813 and a sub $500 rep! Your review and OP’s comparison has convinced me to consider the black version if I can get over the massive 42mm size. Thanks!

Reactions: KJ2020

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
tHe chances of running into a gen Skydweller in the wild is next to niL...This is the rarest of the rare. You get laughed at by even mentioning this watch at an AD...only if you spend huge bucks or you are the owners friend will you be considered to even purchase this..at msrp

ffuhcu

14/7/16
Would have been cool to have jumping hour hand function but I guess Yiu can’t expect too much from a 2813 and a sub $500 rep! Your review and OP’s comparison has convinced me to consider the black version if I can get over the massive 42mm size. Thanks!

Tangentially related but if you didn't see them already BP managed to get the jumping hour hand on their budget ($238) 2813/3804 CHS GMT Master II reps.

Flay

Known Member
27/10/19
Nice review, thanks. I was looking for a new watch with Blue dial. I wanted a TT SUB, but wasn't so sure about the ARF one except for the bracelet of course. And ZZF dont do TT yet. I saw that one some days ago and began to think why not, I have OCD so its a pity that anual calendar is not working (I know it won't realy be used, but OCD ....) I may puill the trigger anyway after your review, and that model is not a very popular one from the Rep factory, so it will take a while befor an other model comes out I guess

ViperGTS

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
1/1/10
will be willing to buy this off of someone thats C&R'ing it