• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

TC 16610 help needed

Blingo

Renowned Member
30/9/18
Turkey
Hello fellas,

I was a happy tc v6 16610 owner for some years. I had purchased it fully modded from a geek from here or another board i can't remember. It has gen crystal no AR no LEC , gen insert and gen crown. A few years ago tc 2824 died and i installed a gen 2824 since i was so happy with the build.

Last month i had sent it to my local watchsmith. He was supposed to clean the watch and service the movement but he somehow f*cked up the crystal gasket. I guess he pressed the bezel too much and not evenly so the watch now is not waterproof. It gets water from the 6 o'clock position. Besides the bezel click is definitely much more loose now and there is a silly play in the bezel.

I need your help to recover it.

I like the shine on the edges of the gen crystal so i think it needs a high gasket.

Which gasket should i buy? Clark 2.85mm or 3.00 mm or 2.70mm ? Maybe a tc gasket would be better but i don't think i can find one easily. I don't trust my watchsmith a lot so i need your advices. Also do you think i will need a new clickspring as well? If so which one do you advise?

And finally, the gen crown had some issues since last year. It sometimes catches the winding/quickset system but mostly turns loose. My watchsmith had told me that it was due to a crack inside the crown which causes it not to catch the stem. I was OK to live with it but do you think it can be fixed or will i need to buy a new gen crown?( i am really enjoying the shine on the gen crown with light). If so will i need a gen 703 or 704 crown?

Thanks for your helps. It would be great if you can direct me to the sources to buy the parts ot maybe you also have some spare parts to sell too ? :)

Here is my baby... Needing some care :(

f23523c9bfebb4171b8cd51b484aa2d0.jpg

Blingo

Renowned Member
30/9/18
Turkey
Here on this photo you can see that the crystal is not evenly pressed. Lower on the 12 position and higher on the 6 side which is causing it to take water from the 6 side.(tested on the machine and yes it takes the water from 6 position) :(

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
Sounds like the main thing you need is a better watchsmith. Pressing a crystal into place without destroying the gasket is really simple for someone with the right tools and basic knowledge. Also regarding this issue: "And finally, the gen crown had some issues since last year. It sometimes catches the winding/quickset system but mostly turns loose." That is probably an issue with the stem's interaction with the movement, not the crown and stem. This happened on a 2824 I had in a TC as well, and if you press or pull slightly on the crown, it will engage properly with the gears.

Reactions: mandipan

Blingo

Renowned Member
30/9/18
Turkey
I've just managed to find a spare Clarks gasket 2.70mm in my parts drawer. I guess this should do the trick. And i've read somewhere else that sometimes the crystal retaining ring on the tc case shall be sanded(gently) in order to accept the clarks crystal.?

Thats exactly what is happening with the crown, if i put a little pressure sometimes it catches the gears and works properly and i am ok with it. Any fix for this or should i leave it like that? I now realized that this had started after changing the tc 2824 with a gen 2824. Again the same watchsmith :(

You are probably right about your comment about my watchsmith ;(

Sounds like the main thing you need is a better watchsmith. Pressing a crystal into place without destroying the gasket is really simple for someone with the right tools and basic knowledge. Also regarding this issue: "And finally, the gen crown had some issues since last year. It sometimes catches the winding/quickset system but mostly turns loose." That is probably an issue with the stem's interaction with the movement, not the crown and stem. This happened on a 2824 I had in a TC as well, and if you press or pull slightly on the crown, it will engage properly with the gears.

Onepickledginger

Gone Gin
Patron
Certified
9/8/20
Hello fellas,

I was a happy tc v6 16610 owner for some years. I had purchased it fully modded from a geek from here or another board i can't remember. It has gen crystal no AR no LEC , gen insert and gen crown. A few years ago tc 2824 died and i installed a gen 2824 since i was so happy with the build.

Last month i had sent it to my local watchsmith. He was supposed to clean the watch and service the movement but he somehow f*cked up the crystal gasket. I guess he pressed the bezel too much and not evenly so the watch now is not waterproof. It gets water from the 6 o'clock position. Besides the bezel click is definitely much more loose now and there is a silly play in the bezel.

I need your help to recover it.

I like the shine on the edges of the gen crystal so i think it needs a high gasket.

Which gasket should i buy? Clark 2.85mm or 3.00 mm or 2.70mm ? Maybe a tc gasket would be better but i don't think i can find one easily. I don't trust my watchsmith a lot so i need your advices. Also do you think i will need a new clickspring as well? If so which one do you advise?

And finally, the gen crown had some issues since last year. It sometimes catches the winding/quickset system but mostly turns loose. My watchsmith had told me that it was due to a crack inside the crown which causes it not to catch the stem. I was OK to live with it but do you think it can be fixed or will i need to buy a new gen crown?( i am really enjoying the shine on the gen crown with light). If so will i need a gen 703 or 704 crown?

Thanks for your helps. It would be great if you can direct me to the sources to buy the parts ot maybe you also have some spare parts to sell too ? :)

Here is my baby... Needing some care :(

f23523c9bfebb4171b8cd51b484aa2d0.jpg

Were you able to replace your gen crown? My TC 16610 v6 2824 crown is slipping now and will likely have to be replaced. Sounds like a gen crown can be easily swapped in?