• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob Skydweller - mini review

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
My Noob Skydweller arrived today and it is indeed a beautiful watch.

I'll just make some quick comments right now and add more later. But I wanted to get some pics out and an initial overview right away.

The watch is heavy and solid. It's 42mm and wears like a 216570 Exp II - BIG, if you are used to a 40mm Sub or GMT or a 39mm Daytona. The bracelet comes with 12 links plus an Easylink but surprisingly it was a nearly perfect fit (slightly loose) on my 7.25" wrist meaning if you have a big wrist you might need an extra link. I can't tell if this is 904L or not, ones ordered after mine have a 904L sticker on them at no additional cost so I'm guessing they all are or they all aren't and some just have the sticker, lol.

The bracelet is standard Noob quality, decent enough with nice brush and polish. It's no ARF but I can easily live with it. The clasp closes well and stays shut. Three out of four SEL corners have a slight recess. One of them sticks up slightly. I'll have to see what I can do to improve that (swap bracelet halves, adjust springbar, etc.). The lug width is 22mm, same as gen. This means no jubilee swap unfortunately.

NHOCj.jpg

NHIi1.jpg

NH83i.jpg

The blue dial is gorgeous and changes hues and rays constantly. I measured the crystal at 34.5mm. The gen is 33.0mm - I have an aftermarket gen spec crystal. So this rep is not going to take a gen or aftermarket gen-spec crystal. That's not a huge deal to me, the crystal is not bad at all. Also it means not having to figure out how to remove the functional bezel, which could be a big headache. It looks to me like the Noob dial is larger than the gen, based on the crystal being larger. This would explain the normal size date window on the Noob when it also has a larger diameter GMT wheel - there is more dial space for these larger components. The tradeoff is the bezel looks narrower on the Noob. Overall it's a very nice presentation IMO.

u6nZo.jpg

As discussed in the other thread the GMT wheel numerals are aligned straight and not curved to align to the wheel. This makes the 20, 22, and 24 in particular appear to be "crooked", or each digit leaning in toward the other to some degree. They do not lean in, it's an illusion and it really is not very apparent on the wrist. In magnified pics it is definitely visible.

Noob
NHliF.jpg

ukfep.jpg

Gen
uw2MW.jpg

The hands and datewheel are both very good IMO. The movement winds smoothly and the date changing and GMT wheel functions work nicely. In case you didn't know, the movement is a DG5833, which is low beat. The bezel turns firmly to set the month indicator, it should not get knocked out of position easily.

Here are some pics indoors and outdoors

NHpCt.jpg

NH98c.jpg

NHYG4.jpg

NHw3s.jpg

NHCS2.jpg

NHn7X.jpg

NHTLE.jpg

NHBc5.jpg

Now for some bad news. Mine came with a tube that is split almost completely through. I've emailed the TD to ask for a new tube from Noob as finding an aftermarket to fit the case and the crown is not going to be easy, We'll see what happens. Real bummer because the tube could give way completely into the crown any time so I really can't continue using it normally. I can put it on a winder and get some use out of it but it isn't waterproof or dustproof atm.

NHrYb.jpg

NH1LI.jpg

Overall a really nice upgrade from the previous offerings. I will get the tube issue sorted one way or another. The watch really looks great on the wrist and does not look or feel cheap. An easy 8.75/10.0 for me - I don't mind the low beat YMMV.

Last edited:

DD60

Eagle Eyed Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
28/4/17
Thanks for sharing. Hope you get that tube taken care of without issue.

Reactions: KJ2020

thinwhiteduke

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/16
KJ2020 As always, take a bow for all your contributions, not least of all this review, Sir! Hoping the V2 addresses the coronet-triangle spacing issue and the GMT printing issue. All very minor, of course but difficult to unsee once seen. Wear it in good health

Reactions: vcappp and KJ2020

Exklusive

I'm Pretty Popular
28/6/15
Thumbs up for the good review. Was considering to get this. Hope you solve tube stem problem soon!

Theycallmederek

Horology Curious
10/5/20
Great review thank you for sharing. The watch looks great, the outdoor photos really show off the dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
I was never a fan of this model but now you just might have changed my view on it. My wife hates you LOL

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

WatchFan19

Horology Curious
23/7/19
It’s a Beauty for sure... Thank you for taking the time and your honest insight!

Merlan8

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
8/12/19
nice in general, but the datawheel and lens is that of a SUB or GMT and it does not even come close to the original

Last edited:

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Thai looked absolutely great, congrats and thanks for taking the time to review!

Someone mentioned elsewhere that the blue of the GMT ring is slightly wrong. On some of the pictures, that certainly seems so, but on others it looks to match the dial perfectly as the light hits it differently. I imagine therefore that the wrong colour is an absolute non-issue on the wrist?

Also, with the tube fault - what the hell!!?! As a non-tinkerer, I don't really understand how that happens. Do you think it's a broken tube from before installation? Or that's happened whilst being installed and they couldn't be arsed to swap it? Or something else?

Thanks again.

Reactions: vcappp

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
nice in general, but the datawheel and lens is that of a SUB or GMT and it does not even come close to the original

You are right bro. It's one of the concessions we have to make to get a decent looking rep. I'm sure that is one of the main reasons the dial is bigger than the gen also - to make room for the wider date window and non-condensed fonts. Nobody got the more gen-like (in size) dial window and datewheel right before, it was really an eyesore. So for me this is a very palatable deviation from the gen. In fact, as I mentioned in the other thread the gen date window and horizontally condensed fonts are maybe the only thing about the gen that I don't like. Of the 3 choices below, I prefer the Noob layout and size proportions of these components above all.

Previous rep versions
15351150261200.jpg

Gens
NUDIQ.jpg

Mgk5k.jpg

Noob
uj2dS.jpg

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thai looked absolutely great, congrats and thanks for taking the time to review!

Someone mentioned elsewhere that the blue of the GMT ring is slightly wrong. On some of the pictures, that certainly seems so, but on others it looks to match the dial perfectly as the light hits it differently. I imagine therefore that the wrong colour is an absolute non-issue on the wrist?

Also, with the tube fault - what the hell!!?! As a non-tinkerer, I don't really understand how that happens. Do you think it's a broken tube from before installation? Or that's happened whilst being installed and they couldn't be arsed to swap it? Or something else?

Thanks again.

The GMT wheel color varies from the blue dial a little more than on my previous versions (see above pics). But it's not a mismatch IMO, rather an accent. I think this would be the case to some degree with any color even on the gen because of the different materials and finish (glossy vs matte). It's not an element that catches your eye as being out of place and I think the difference becomes more distinct in pics than IRL.

Also, many models have contrasting color GMT wheels so the notion of it not matching exactly is not out of the ordinary.

Regarding the tube, I can only speculate. I noticed it immediately and it didn't happen in shipping. It's a very nice sturdy tube so it's not likely it happened by someone wrenching down on the crown to try to get it flush with the case. Best guess is it happened during installation and/or the crown got bumped on a table edge, etc. It's possible it went unnoticed by the TD, some do not use the crowns much.

Last edited:
Reactions: GingerBubba

Merlan8

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
8/12/19
You are right bro. It's one of the concessions we have to make to get a decent looking rep. I'm sure that is one of the main reasons the dial is bigger than the gen also - to make room for the wider date window and non-condensed fonts. Nobody got the more gen-like (in size) dial window and datewheel right before, it was really an eyesore. So for me this is a very palatable deviation from the gen. In fact, as I mentioned in the other thread the gen date window and horizontally condensed fonts are maybe the only thing about the gen that I don't like. Of the 3 choices below, I prefer the Noob layout and size proportions of these components above all.

Previous rep versions
15351150261200.jpg

Gens
NUDIQ.jpg

Mgk5k.jpg

Noob
uj2dS.jpg
if only it had the characters of the date + thick, it would be seen much less ... perhaps with a more fat date it would almost go unnoticed ....

Reactions: vcappp

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
if only it had the characters of the date + thick, it would be seen much less ... perhaps with a more fat date it would almost go unnoticed ....
Finally a use for all those fat, ARF date discs!!!!