• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Gonzo babe - Double Nine Gonzo!

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Thats some great work as usual mate but wtf is the double case back design about? I can only imagine they were too lazy to design one case back in the right way? Quality watch though!

Reactions: KJ2020

Big_Pilot

26/5/17
What base did you use for this build (BP, JF, Noob, etc.).....it may have been mentioned somewhere but I probably missed it.....

The double case back, is bit strange here.....never seen that before.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
What base did you use for this build (BP, JF, Noob, etc.).....it may have been mentioned somewhere but I probably missed it.....

The double case back, is bit strange here.....never seen that before.

It's a BP bro. Ironically a main feature making the BP/GMF a top choice is the accuracy of the numeral 3, haha! Noob and JF/ARF have 3"s that are too curvy on the right side.

Reactions: vcappp

Hoosier Watch Guy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/3/20
The Double case back is a design of Rolexes with the 3131. The Inner case back is supposed to be an anti-magnetic shield since the Air-King 116900 and Milgauss 116400 has anti-magnetic properties. The inner shield screws down to the movement and since the gen is supposed to be made out of a ferris metal, it protects the movement from magnetism.
My BP Milgauss had the shield but it was not ferris, probably just stainless. I tested it with a Magnet.

The scientific symbol for a magnetic field is a capital "B". That's why you see it engraved on the case back.
Hope that helps

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The Double case back is a design of Rolexes with the 3131. The Inner case back is supposed to be an anti-magnetic shield since the Air-King 116900 and Milgauss 116400 has anti-magnetic properties. The inner shield screws down to the movement and since the gen is supposed to be made out of a ferris metal, it protects the movement from magnetism.
My BP Milgauss had the shield but it was not ferris, probably just stainless. I tested it with a Magnet.

The scientific symbol for a magnetic field is a capital "B". That's why you see it engraved on the case back.
Hope that helps

Nice bro, thanks for the explanation. It is a very nice way to hold the movement holder in place and works great now that I got it off and filed down the case thread burrs. I never knew the 116900 Air King was made to be anti-magnetic, seems strange given its history as a pilot's watch. Maybe a recent 'upgrade' to breathe some life back into the somewhat lackluster model. It seems to now share much more in common with the Milgauss. It's surprising that BP would bother to rep the inner shield in either model.

thegolfman

Known Member
1/6/20
Definitely one of the more interesting Rep threads on the site...nice work and thanks for posting the details! Two casebooks and now two nines, seems about right here in 2020.

Hoosier Watch Guy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/3/20
Nice bro, thanks for the explanation. It is a very nice way to hold the movement holder in place and works great now that I got it off and filed down the case thread burrs. I never knew the 116900 Air King was made to be anti-magnetic, seems strange given its history as a pilot's watch. Maybe a recent 'upgrade' to breathe some life back into the somewhat lackluster model. It seems to now share much more in common with the Milgauss. It's surprising that BP would bother to rep the inner shield in either model.

No problem. Glad to give back a little to the sight thats given me so much.

I have no confirmed justification for this- but it seems like since the new Air-King was going to be a 40mm no date and they already had the 40mm Milguass (no date), they just used the existing/same case and movement. Just like the 39mm Explorer 1 and the Oyster Perpetual 39mm share same case it appears. But totally my guess, who knows.

Last edited: