• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex 5513 Submariner Accuracy Comparison: JK factory & BP Factory

Rowdy_Rico

Horology Curious
4/6/20
Hello all. First time posting. I have two different Rolex 5513 Submariner reps on the way, one vintage lume/meters first by JK, as well as one white lume/feet first by BP. I will probably end up gifting one of them. Right now I am only going off of QC photos for a cosmetic accuracy comparison; there will be individual reviews on both upon arrival.

I wanted to see what some of your opinions were as to which one is more cosmetically accurate as a 5513 rep .

My opinions:

BP: To start off I was waiting on the QC for the BP for a few weeks. Unfortunately Trusty sent them to me when I did not have access to the internet and it was automatically given a GL after 24 hours. The bezel insert doesn't line up with the markers on the dial; however this is a vintage non click bezel so I am hoping it just needs repositioning.

The dial proportions are better in terms of marker and font spacing. Their vintage lume model was very nice, but patina appeared a bit too dark orange for a feet first Maxi. The markers on the BP are not as large as a Maxi from what I can tell, however the coronet (which I think is the most obvious inaccuracy of the BP as it is not accurate to any 5513 dial variation) resembles that of a Maxi dial more than any other dial the 5513 sported. If BP offered a meters first dial, I would have definitely gone with the vintage lume as theirs is actually quite lovely looking; however most of the Maxi dials I have seen actually retain their white quite nicely; the aging mostly goes to a slight off white or cream. The plexi on the BP also has a nice look to it, with a nice clear warping where it domes that does not block out the minute markers (not sure which crystal is more accurate as of now, your opinion is valued). The bezel inserts markers and numbers seem to be shorter than a gen (unless the proportions changed between the old meters first and the feet first models).

4vwfp.jpg

JK: It was boasted by Trusty as “one of the very best 5513 replicas,” and can supposedly accept gen parts, but I believe it is also a bit older of a rep than the BP. The dial proportions seem off in terms of hour marker spacing and distance from the bezel (I believe i is a 29mm dial?). The coronet is superior in terms of accuracy on the JK. The text seems to be disproportionate to that of a gen. The vintage lume patina leaves a bit to be desired but it is not the worst in my opinion. The plexi has less of a warp around the dome, making the minute markers look noticeably shorter than the BP. I like the look of the BP plexi's warp better, however going off of google images the JK plexi may be slightly closer to the gen. The bezel insert seems fairly accurate to Gen.

4vM25.jpg

At the end of the day these are two vintage sub reps and I respect and accept them both as that. Interested on your thoughts as to which looks more like an authentic 5513.

Cheers.

Last edited:

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
JKF are generally better than BP and are a better base to build on. Don’t worry about the plexi - its one of the first things you’ll replace with a Clarks / Sternkreuz.

I havent got a 4 digit BP, but I do have a JKF 1680. I’d say the bracelet and overall finsh is much better on the JKF.

Rowdy_Rico

Horology Curious
4/6/20
JKF are generally better than BP and are a better base to build on. Don’t worry about the plexi - its one of the first things you’ll replace with a Clarks / Sternkreuz.

I havent got a 4 digit BP, but I do have a JKF 1680. I’d say the bracelet and overall finsh is much better on the JKF.

Thank you for the crystal recommendation. I haven't even cracked a case yet but I have to start eventually. Do you know if the JKF utilizes a 29mm dial, or can it take a gen spec 26mm? If a 29mm is required, do you have any recommendations on a superior quality dial? Thank you for the information.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thank you for the crystal recommendation. I haven't even cracked a case yet but I have to start eventually. Do you know if the JKF utilizes a 29mm dial, or can it take a gen spec 26mm? If a 29mm is required, do you have any recommendations on a superior quality dial? Thank you for the information.

JKF takes s 26mm dial. Check out dials from Mochacha. I just bought one from M2M. It's great and a reasonable price point. I haven't installed it yet.

https://www.mochacha.org/shop-1/rolex-dials

Also Ruby's has dials. They are more $$$.

http://www.rubyswatch.com/Products/parts/gmt-6542

Password is 666888

Rowdy_Rico

Horology Curious
4/6/20

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Very lovely dials, thank you for the links. Is there a lot of modification required to get these to fit a 2813 movement?

None of them come with dial feet, new feet need to be glued or soldered on. It's a skill most DIY modders have to learn eventually. There are some threads here showing how. Search for it on google and add rwi to your query.

Tobi007

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/1/17
JKF are great for the money.
With the right sternkreutz plexi + O-Ring (Caseback) you can get the watch waterproof.
I tested my two builds with 9 bar.

Reactions: Rowdy_Rico

Rowdy_Rico

Horology Curious
4/6/20
JKF are great for the money.
With the right sternkreutz plexi + O-Ring (Caseback) you can get the watch waterproof.
I tested my two builds with 9 bar.

That is very good news. All roads seem to be leading to the JFK. Knowing that it can be successfully waterproofed is a relief.

Reactions: Bubbe Back1

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I went through Trusty Time this time, but thank you for the referral. I am assuming that 5512 is yours, if so is that the stock dial and lume?

It is but that dial is coming out as soon as I can get around to putting my Mochacha 5513 dial in.

This watch is $100 from Marv with 2813

Last edited:

Yelow69

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/9/14
JKF is the base I’d choose. I have found that sometimes the clark crystal fits a bit loose though. Case takes a gen dial as well.