• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Release: Noob Skydweller

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
So the bezel controls the month indicator (the red dot on the hour indices)? Interesting. Is that how it works on a gen? I never knew that.

And the GMT operation is fully functional too?

Wow, this is impressive. This could be a winner. I never really like the gen sky dweller because... I just never got it. It just never appealed to me but it's growing on me quickly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hazing

9/5/19
Hi all, Here are some of my QC pics which I already approved - now waiting for tracking. The watch looks great as far as I can see.

IMG_1605.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg

The numbers on the GMT dial look so much like the numbers on the GMT and VRF GMT Master II inserts.

mistermagoo

9/8/17
So the bezel controls the month indicator (the red dot on the hour indices)? Interesting. Is that how it works on a gen? I never knew that.

The month indicator (Red dot) can only change by manually adjusting it. On the Gen, it changes automatically.

Reactions: vcappp

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

Wow, this is impressive. This could be a winner. I never really like the gen sky dweller because... I just never got it. It just never appealed to me but it's growing on me quickly.

The gen has a 'Ring Command Bezel' that has 3 detented positions. The functions of the crown change depending on the bezel position. So the bezel action on the the Noob is not accurate to how the gen operates. I'm betting the Noob bezel just has teeth on the lower inside perimeter that engage the month indicator wheel either directly or through some intermediate gearing. It will be interesting to examine it closely both for removal method (to change the crystal) and to assess waterproofness (how can it be?).

You'll recall the pics I posted previously showing the gen bezel and crown gears and linkages. The Noob will have no similarity.

4WV23.jpg

4Wxfn.jpg

This video shows date, month, and time setting of the gen. Note that since it's a perpetual calendar, there is no quickset month capability. So if it's June and your watch was last set in December, you must cycle the quickset date indicator through 6 months of dates to get the month indicator to move from December to June. Look carefully in the video, you can see the red month indicator move twice as the dates are changed both quickset and manually through hour jumping.

If you want a detailed explanation of how the Ring Command bezel works, the Rolex User Manual has it all.

https://www.rolex.com/media/user-guides.html

Last edited:

Hazing

9/5/19
The gen has a 'Ring Command Bezel' that has 3 detented positions. The functions of the crown change depending on the bezel position. So the bezel action on the the Noob is not accurate to how the gen operates. I'm betting the Noob bezel just has teeth on the lower inside perimeter that engage the month indicator wheel either directly or through some intermediate gearing. It will be interesting to examine it closely both for removal method (to change the crystal) and to assess waterproofness (how can it be?).

You'll recall the pics I posted previously showing the gen bezel and crown gears and linkages. The Noob will have no similarity.

4WV23.jpg

4Wxfn.jpg

This video shows date, month, and time setting of the gen. Note that since it's a perpetual calendar, there is no quickset month capability. So if it's June and your watch was last set in December, you must cycle the quickset date indicator through 6 months of dates to get the month indicator to move from December to June. Look carefully in the video, you can see the red month indicator move twice as the dates are changed both quickset and manually through hour jumping.

If you want a detailed explanation of how the Ring Command bezel works, the Rolex User Manual has it all.

https://www.rolex.com/media/user-guides.html
I wish your posts showed up on tapa. During the day I can never see your pics. I either wait till I'm home or if I'm in my office, slip over to a computer If I can.

Saul Goodman

Supporter
20/1/19
Germany
I wish your posts showed up on tapa. During the day I can never see your pics. I either wait till I'm home or if I'm in my office, slip over to a computer If I can.

Well, you could just use your Phone Browser.
Personally I tried tapa but i really prefer the Browser experience. :D

Reactions: KJ2020

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
The numbers on the GMT dial look so much like the numbers on the GMT and VRF GMT Master II inserts.

Its Eurostyle. The same font as Rolex use - although it's a bold weight on the bezel.

Why Rolex use Eurostyle - a font you'd expect to find used on the signage of a laundrette / minicab office - in 1985 - is anyone's guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: vcappp

Hazing

9/5/19
Well, you could just use your Phone Browser.
Personally I tried tapa but i really prefer the Browser experience. :D

I don’t want to derail this thread but on my phone it sucks. I know what you mean as I prefer the browser for reading but for posting, nothing beats tapa. Especially when you post a lot of pics like I do. Or, at least I’m very used to it.

that being said, I’m here now (on my browser) and see what I missed.

Reactions: Saul Goodman

Hazing

9/5/19
Its Eurostyle. The same font as Rolex use - although it's a bold weight on the bezel.

Why Rolex use Eurostyle - a font you'd expect to find used on the signage of a laundrette / minicab office - in 1985 - is anyone's guess.

It’s funny because Rolex selects litttle details that are difficult to copy - even down to their own custom fonts. I have been cursing the GMF inserts for these fonts and here they are again on the skydweeler. I haven’t studied the gen models enough to know if this is similar to the font Rolex uses but the numbers on the gmt wheel on the noob are the same as the GMF and vrf insert fonts.

A 1 with a straight serif. Thin font. Not that it matters just something that caught my eye. They probably use the same computer program for both.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
It’s funny because Rolex selects litttle details that are difficult to copy - even down to their own custom fonts. I have been cursing the GMF inserts for these fonts and here they are again on the skydweeler. I haven’t studied the gen models enough to know if this is similar to the font Rolex uses but the numbers on the gmt wheel on the noob are the same as the GMF and vrf insert fonts.

A 1 with a straight serif. Thin font. Not that it matters just something that caught my eye. They probably use the same computer program for both.

Nope. Its Eurostyle Extended and Eurostyle Bold Extended for the bezel. No fancy software or hard to copy details. Bog standard Eurostyle - designed by Aldo Novarese in 1962.

Reactions: vcappp and FREEWIFI

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18
I didn’t know where to put this, but since this thread inspired the search... I’d never seen the dg5833 in use in any watch. Well here you go.

Bliger gmt on eBay.

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18
KJ2020 , what’s your guess, will the bezel be replaceable with a white gold gen fluted bezel?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
KJ2020 what’s your guess, will the bezel be replaceable with a white gold gen fluted bezel?

Highly doubtful bro. I bet the rep bezel will have some unique characteristics to it for month indicator functionality that will preclude its replacement by a regular bezel, even a gen.

Last edited:
Reactions: vcappp and Ams55557

il8

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/7/17
Hey guys, I want to pull the trigger on one of these black dial, it's stunning!! Has anyone received one yet?