• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Release: Noob Skydweller

Siege79

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/10/20
Anyone got a link for these new Skydweller’s? Will purchase if they look reasonable.

Apniceguy

3/3/20
Dealer answer

Hi bro,
the piece according to the description works the same as Gen.

month/ gmt should work with the bezel and crown.

The piece has not yet been released on the market as soon as I have it at hand, I will confirm how the movement works and I will confirm you in detail, ok?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
It's going to have the same low beat DG2813 variant that all the rep Skydwellers use. There isn't another movement that fits the unique needs of quickset date plus center 24 hour wheel. This is not a bad thing as this variant is generally very reliable and replacements are easily sourced. Like all 2813s, it's really a throwaway movement. Once the backside combined bridge is removed to access the train wheels, it is a nightmare to refit the bridge onto 5 skinny, wobbly pinions that keep falling away from their jewel holes. I have extraordinary patience and after doing it successfully once, I won't ever attempt it again.

This means that extreme care needs to be used when changing hands. The DG2813 second hand pinion is ultra thin at 0.17mm and will snap off if your hand twitches wrong. It's connected to the second wheel which is under the combined bridge on the backside. You get the picture.

This is not meant to steer people away from the rep. As mentioned, the movement is generally reliable. I have 3 of them and 2 have been flawless for years. The other was intentionally sacrificed for exploration.

To say that this movement operates "like the gen" is a bit of an overstatement. The gen does have a quickset date but that adjustment also advances the month indicator so you initially could have to cycle through several or many months to reach the correct month and day. After that, the gen perpetual calendar changes the month indicator automatically and even flips the datewheel twice in 30 day months. A manual adjustment is necessary each February. The gen also uses hour jumping like a GMT while the rep movement does not. This feature allows for time zone changes without changing the 24 hour wheel.

The rep movement does have an independent 24 hour wheel that can be set to a second time zone (like GMT time) and since the month indicator can be manually adjusted, it can fit the bill adequately. The lack of a jumping hour hand makes it a little less convenient for frequent travelers across time zones since changing your local time also changes the 24 hour wheel. Then you would have to change the 24 hour wheel back to your reference time (like GMT time). Adjusting the rep 24 hour wheel to be exactly in sync with the main hands is a fiddly ordeal sometimes taking 10 or 12 tries due to lead and lag play in the gears. Once set, it's best left alone.

I never even notice the low beat but I don't stare at my second hands either.

The variant is called the DG5833

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322898140461

Last edited:

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
I've got one on order. Expecting QC in a few days. I have preraid Noob skydweller in hand to compare against once I get it.

Awesome, look forward to both your pictures and your comparison to the pre-paid one, boom, a double bonus :thumbsup:

This is a watch that been on my list a while, but with Noob out of the game, slipped off my radar & now just popped back on with the posts today.

Also know Plaasbaas is a huge fan ;)

Last edited:

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Awesome, look forward to both your pictures and your comparison to the pre-paid one, boom, a double bonus :thumbsup:

This is a watch that been on my list a while, but with Noob out of the game, slipped off my radar & now just popped back on with the posts today.

It's really a beautiful watch, but just too big for my taste. I don't know why, I have a PAM and an AP offshore that are much bigger but in this format it makes me think of an oversized datejust
But to each their own, glad you'll get the chance to get one my friend :)

Reactions: P..DR..D

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
It's really a beautiful watch, but just too big for my taste. I don't know why, I have a PAM and an AP offshore that are much bigger but in this format it makes me think of an oversized datejust
But to each their own, glad you'll get the chance to get one my friend :)

Thank you Sir, fingers crossed :thumbsup:

Shout out to KJ2020 who was a huge help at the start as that's where I first saw it in one of the eyecandy threads way back and he gave me alot of helpful information on it.
The man is an encyclopedia.

Agree re the datejust look, which is also on the list.
I imagine it'll be huge on the wrist.
Have a strange taste tbh, if something catches my eye, that's kinda it. Range from a very small dress style watches to a PAM127 on a ridiculous blue rubber strap. No rhyme nor reason, just fun to wear.

My missus/family/friends have all given up even attempting to buy me watches - they just ask for receipts now ;)

But am gonna also email my TD now to see if she has any news too - today was a good day for sure.

Reactions: KJ2020 and Tobel

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany

Thanks for tagging me! Very grateful, would probably have missed this as I have had quite a busy day. Definitely on my list. If it is not a total fail I'll order it :)

​​​​​​​Can't wait to hear what you say once you have it keishara , and thanks for the info about the movement KJ2020 .

Reactions: KJ2020 and P..DR..D

Apniceguy

3/3/20
Thus is not the new
this is jwf , take a clock look on the gmt ring.
We need to wait for more details on the new watch

Reactions: Siege79

Keishara

Daytona Nerd
Patron
25/2/21
QC:
jPUhmW.jpg
jPU3wJ.jpg
jPUHcP.jpg

jPU2CS.png

Looks exactly the same as previous. Most likely NOS? RL'd due to beat rate, misaligned date and potentially misaligned 6 o'clock marker.

Last edited:

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
QC:

Looks exactly the same as previous. Most likely NOS? RL'd due to beat rate, misaligned date and potentially misaligned 6 o'clock marker.

Thank you for sharing Sir & I agree with your assessment - would be a RL for me too.

Does your TD think its likely they can source another for you?

Am just wondering if these are previous RL'd items that are now coming back on the market in the hope of shifting to new buyers.

Last edited:

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
QC:
jPUhmW.jpg
jPU3wJ.jpg
jPUHcP.jpg

jPU2CS.png

Thanks for sharing!

About the 6 o'clock marker I am wondering if it's the angle that's playing tricks in ones eyes, since there is a significant difference in height between the elevated marker and the sunken month wheel.

The datewheel seems just a fraction left justified but not too bad imo. Its alignment might be one of the most common issues with this model. It would be perfect if the red triangle points directly at the dots between the numbers (or dead center at each number). It will always look a bit weird, because there are one-digit and two-digit dates, which is also playing tricks on ones eyes.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
QC:
jPUHcP.jpg

The beat rate is easily adjusted but agree that it should come closer to an acceptable reading.

The date does look high but remember that to see the true picture the date window has to be centered in the cyclops. More border at the bottom like your pic shows pushes the apparent date position up.

Are my eyes deceiving me?

The 6 marker is probably OK, the left marker border is in shadow so the whole marker appears shifted right.

This looks exactly like a Noob, and not a great one. The 24 hour wheel is the same, with the numerals on individual straight lines that don't follow the curve of the wheel. It's most noticeable at 22 - 24.

Also this sample has a crooked center dial section. It's not off much, but using the straight lines of a photo editor you can see the center section is rotated a degree or two anti-clockwise.

jPi41b.jpg

That center dial section is stuck to the mainplate with two tiny pieces of double-sided tape and can be fixed but it means removing the hands so yeah no.

You can see more about what's under the hood in these models in the thread below if interested.

Noob Skydweller GMT wheel replacement

Last edited:

Foxxfire

FoX, the Patron
20/1/17
EU / CH
Dealer answer

Hi bro,
the piece according to the description works the same as Gen.

month/ gmt should work with the bezel and crown.

The piece has not yet been released on the market as soon as I have it at hand, I will confirm how the movement works and I will confirm you in detail, ok?

I have my strongest doubts that this "Skydweller" is operated like the GEN!
The latest Noob-Skydweller had the possibility to turn manually the appropriate month by simply turning the bezel (without touching the crown).

fall1n1

Registered Flex Offender
Supporter
Certified
30/1/21
UK / Singapore
jPVGok.jpg
jPVFDD.jpg
jPVSTo.jpg
jPVRMY.jpg
jPVx5P.jpg
jPV00J.jpg
jPVJBW.jpg
jPVVNS.jpg
jPVgKQ.jpg

Here are some new pictures of the supposed Noob V2 Sky Dweller that my domestic Chinese dealer sent me. Would appreciate some expert input KJ2020 hehe

Last edited:
Reactions: P..DR..D