• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Daytona 116500LN V3 Noob Lumes

Ashworth14

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/1/20
North West, UK
Hi all,

Given the great weather we are having here in the UK, I decided to really test out the lumes on my V3 Noob 116500LN.

I sat in the sun for an hour with my watch face pointing directly at the sun and I went inside just to get some water, within 2-3 mins the lumes are almost non existent.

I am seeing on some forums that rolexs Chromalight lumes last up to 8 hours, from just using a flashlight charging the lumes for 10-12 seconds. Noob claimed that there lumes are as bright, if not brighter and longer lasting than Rolex official lumes.

Anybody else tried this out?
​​​​​​

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
Hi all,

Given the great weather we are having here in the UK, I decided to really test out the lumes on my V3 Noob 116500LN.

I sat in the sun for an hour with my watch face pointing directly at the sun and I went inside just to get some water, within 2-3 mins the lumes are almost non existent.

I am seeing on some forums that rolexs Chromalight lumes last up to 8 hours, from just using a flashlight charging the lumes for 10-12 seconds. Noob claimed that there lumes are as bright, if not brighter and longer lasting than Rolex official lumes.

Anybody else tried this out?
​​​​​​

You’re misunderstanding a bit how lume is supposed to work.

They glow super bright for a couple minutes, then normally start fading. BUT, if you look at your watch face in a completely dark ambient such as a closed room (or the bottom of the sea) you will still be able to tell time.

I use to put my watches in a box on my bedside table when I go sleep, every time I happen to wake up at night I can see the whole box glowing in the dark.

Ashworth14

11/1/20
North West, UK
You’re misunderstanding a bit how lume is supposed to work.

They glow super bright for a couple minutes, then normally start fading. BUT, if you look at your watch face in a completely dark ambient such as a closed room (or the bottom of the sea) you will still be able to tell time.

I use to put my watches in a box on my bedside table when I go sleep, every time I happen to wake up at night I can see the whole box glowing in the dark.

This is interesting. Well the watch is with me still in the sun, I will put it in a box and take it out in the middle of the night and see how this happens.

Thanks for your response, this is very helpful.

Anybody also had any experiences of this?
​​​​​​

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
This is interesting. Well the watch is with me still in the sun, I will put it in a box and take it out in the middle of the night and see how this happens.

Thanks for your response, this is very helpful.

Anybody also had any experiences of this?
​​​​​​

Give your eyes a few seconds to adapt to darkness. You’ll sure be able to see it slightly glowing tonight! ;)

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
As the previous member mentioned, lume is meant to provide readability of digits in darkness. Even gen dials don’t glow super bright after sometime (mine goes for about 10-15 mins). Then they start to fade....but that faded look lasts for a while and is more than enough to read the markers. Even Rolex official marketing language mentions - If watch has been in sunlight all day, Chromalight will glow all night.

Ashworth14

11/1/20
North West, UK
Update on this. The watch has been away for approx. 3 hours or so, I took it into a cupboard where there is no light and no lume. Even after being in the sunlight for approx. 4/5 hours.

Any suggestions?
​​​​

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Update on this. The watch has been away for approx. 3 hours or so, I took it into a cupboard where there is no light and no lume. Even after being in the sunlight for approx. 4/5 hours.

Any suggestions?
​​​​

Buy a gen :)

Ashworth14

11/1/20
North West, UK
Buy a gen :)

On the waiting list for a gen. And it's not the point, Noob specifically stated that their lumes duration is as long as gen if not longer. Hence why I am asking if anybody experiences this or the same as me.

But thanks for your helpful comment, added a lot of value to the post.

Downing

8/3/20
I own one Noob rep, the Sea-Dweller DSDB v10 and I can verify that after some 10-20s flashlight treatment (a very bright LED one) the lumes glow whole night, my typical sleeping time is 7 - 8 hours. Of course the brightness is weak in the morning then but the glow is still there and I can well tell the time though. As well some of my cheapo Dhgate reps lumes glow for some hours. I think there's something wrong with your Noob rep.

Ashworth14

11/1/20
North West, UK
I own one Noob rep, the Sea-Dweller DSDB v10 and I can verify that after some 10-20s flashlight treatment (a very bright LED one) the lumes glow whole night, my typical sleeping time is 7 - 8 hours. Of course the brightness is weak in the morning then but the glow is still there and I can well tell the time though. As well some of my cheapo Dhgate reps lumes glow for some hours. I think there's something wrong with your Noob rep.

Thanks dude this is definitely helpful. Maybe I will give it one more go today before contacting my TD

dashing

Dashing Around
Supporter
20/5/18
Metroville
I think you need to manage your own expectation on the performance of the reps. Performance of a rep is likely not going to be identical to a gen. :(

If you're just here for people to reinforce your belief that the lume on your rep is screwed so you can contact your TD and make a ruckus, then I think you're in for an agonising experience overall. You'll be better off buying a gen, but even then, no guarantee that the gen will have a perfect QC.

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Wow.. I thought I have been reading a Panerai thread.. Haha.. I own a few gens and yes they do tend to glow brighter and longer than reps. TBH if it bothers you this much maybe get it relumed by a modder? It shouldn't cost too much...

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
On the waiting list for a gen. And it's not the point, Noob specifically stated that their lumes duration is as long as gen if not longer. Hence why I am asking if anybody experiences this or the same as me.

But thanks for your helpful comment, added a lot of value to the post.

I’m glad I could be of service to you cupcake... But since a simple search would have given you all the answers you where after, you still made the choice to make a new post, so the rest of us could spoon feed you... well done, I’m sure you will add much value to the community

Ashworth14

11/1/20
North West, UK
I’m glad I could be of service to you cupcake... But since a simple search would have given you all the answers you where after, you still made the choice to make a new post, so the rest of us could spoon feed you... well done, I’m sure you will add much value to the community

Already searched hence why I made a post, however I was more asking for people's opinions but you're condescending posts add so much to the community. Everybody else on the podt has been helpful.

Keep it up bud, people like you are scum of the earth.

Ashworth14

11/1/20
North West, UK
I think you need to manage your own expectation on the performance of the reps. Performance of a rep is likely not going to be identical to a gen. :(

If you're just here for people to reinforce your belief that the lume on your rep is screwed so you can contact your TD and make a ruckus, then I think you're in for an agonising experience overall. You'll be better off buying a gen, but even then, no guarantee that the gen will have a perfect QC.

Yes I think expectations need to be managed a little. But still slightly concerned how my lumes don't glow more than a couple of minutes, I was expecting at least an hour!

Thanks though I will continue doing some research!

dashing

Dashing Around
Supporter
20/5/18
Metroville
Yes I think expectations need to be managed a little. But still slightly concerned how my lumes don't glow more than a couple of minutes, I was expecting at least an hour!

Thanks though I will continue doing some research!

If you're really out to seek data points, using SKX007 as example, only the PAM rep that I have matches up to it. Everything else, the lume is almost non-existent after a short while. Something else to note, I realise that it is the UV in sunlight that charges it. To seek how long your lume would last, I'll suggest getting a cheap UV torch to really give it a good burst for charging up. Otherwise, it's pretty much hard to ascertain how much of the lume got charged.

That said, don't be too hung up about the lume and enjoy the chrono. ;)

Ashworth14

11/1/20
North West, UK
If you're really out to seek data points, using SKX007 as example, only the PAM rep that I have matches up to it. Everything else, the lume is almost non-existent after a short while. Something else to note, I realise that it is the UV in sunlight that charges it. To seek how long your lume would last, I'll suggest getting a cheap UV torch to really give it a good burst for charging up. Otherwise, it's pretty much hard to ascertain how much of the lume got charged.

That said, don't be too hung up about the lume and enjoy the chrono. ;)

Awesome advice. I've just gone online and purchased a UV torch!

I will give it a go. Thanks!