• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best Black Submariner with date?

freetradecollection

Horology Curious
10/5/20
Hey guys,

I work in an environment where things like watches/cars matter if you want to get ahead. I want to get ahead but at the same time I don't want to drop 10k on a watch. I'm looking for a basic black sub with date and I'm wondering which options would look/feel the "realist" out of the box. Also which one would accept genuine parts if I wanted to go down that path in the future.

I'm currently researching the following 3 and I'm finding it hard to make a decision since there's so much conflicting information as to which is the best.

1. Noobs A2836 V10
2. Noobs v8s (cheap, but I don't know if it would look/feel real enough)
3. ZZF V2 SA3135

I'm also open to other options if there's a better rep out there.

Thanks

freetradecollection

Horology Curious
10/5/20
Are you living in snob environment?? Man you really said huge bullshit in your intro.

I work in real estate (in NYC) and it really is the worst field ever. In order for my superiers to take me seriously I have to project a certain image. I got all the trash gigs for a long time then I decided to lease a (loaner) Mercedes to fit in more and it worked, They actually started giving me some listings. They're always comparing watches and shit so that the next logical step hence the reason for the question.

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Buy a forged carbon RM rep, folks around you will have their eyes roll over. Get the ZZF v2, best OOTB sub-C now

You must have a terrible life with such shitty mentality around you. Hoping for good days ahead, stay healthy!!

freetradecollection

Horology Curious
10/5/20
Buy a forged carbon RM rep, folks around you will have their eyes roll over. Get the ZZF v2, best OOTB sub-C now

You must have a terrible life with such shitty mentality around you. Hoping for good days ahead, stay healthy!!

Well it does suck right now because I'm the new guy trying to break into a field in a company with a lot of hardcore sharks. It's not going to stay that way for long because my end goal is to get my brokerage license and open my own office once I have enough experience. As far as the ZZF, what movement would you recommend?

Last edited:
Reactions: srhoque

FREEWIFI

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
24/2/19
Noobs feel light and cheaper when handling them. Everybody who had handled a gen know is a rep instantly.

If you want something without tells zzf 114060 LN - and you avoid crystal and date issues. Or move out of Rolex to another brand.

But if you want a calmer life and if your main worry is the tells of your rep you can grab something gen with a decent quality for 1500-2000 there is plenty of options.

Just my two cents.

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Well it does suck right now because I'm the new guy trying to break into a field in a company with a lot of hardcore sharks. It's not going to stay that way for long because my end goal is to get my brokerage license and open my own office once I have enough experience. As far as the ZZF, what movement would you recommend?

ZZF with VR3135. That is the best clone movement currently in terms of finish and build quality. I suggest you get the movement serviced for better reliability and longevity

thorne

16600 FTW
8/3/10
Sling City
You mention you work in an environment where things like watches matter if you want to get ahead, and you are relatively the new guy.

That means some co-workers around you will likely know their watches very well. Not all, but some of them.

I don’t think anyone will ask you for your ZZF to take a closer look, that would be rude - but if that happens, say down at the pub over drinks one fine Friday, make sure it’s not the WIS guys.

There are always tells on any rep - dial window cut out, rehaut engraving, black hole crystal, clasp engravings and codes, etc but none of those are visible on the wrist. Well maybe the black hole crystal is.

In the hand however, it is a totally different matter - for those who know what they are looking for.

Last edited:

Cadows

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/18
Europe

He is either troll or really fucked up man

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Hey guys,

I work in an environment where things like watches/cars matter if you want to get ahead. I want to get ahead but at the same time I don't want to drop 10k on a watch.

The best advice I can give you is to tell you that its not the car/watch that gets you ahead. It's getting ahead that gets you the car/watch.

Focus on the right things. Your career is not going to shape up because you bought a Chinese fake watch.

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
The best advice I can give you is to tell you that its not the car/watch that gets you ahead. It's getting ahead that gets you the car/watch.

Focus on the right things. Your career is not going to shape up because you bought a Chinese fake watch.
Although this might sounds very inspiring, I can understand where OP is coming from. My dad is a watch dealer and I grow up with watches. You simply can't look "cheap" when people are dealing with you in high value items. Ironically as it sounds that's the reason why my dad moved us to New Zealand where it was (not sure now as I don't live there any more) much more down to earth. Coming from Asia if you don't dressed or wear something that you are "fitting in" you just don't get served or respected (unless people got to know you).

Your Rolex (or car, etc) is like a degree or MBA to get your "foot at the door" to a real life business acquaintances interview, is sad but true. Imagine meeting your defence lawyer for the first time, would you feel confidence if he or she turns up in a sweatsuit or in a well tailored suit?

Unfortunately I don't think OP can escape this lifestyle unless you change your industry/career as it seems appearences unfortunately counts and unless you had "made it" is something you might just need to up keep. Just like wearing a suit to work.

Good luck finding your watch, to be honest if you want to be a bit of a baller, buy an AP 15400. The rep is pretty close to gen, not many people will think is fake as is an AP rather than Rolex, not many people know too much about AP compared to a Rolex, is a bit different than "a sub", makes you a bit more memorable to your clients than your "average Joe" sub guy.. Haha

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Last edited:

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Although this might sounds very inspiring, I can understand where OP is coming from. My dad is a watch dealer and I grow up with watches. You simply can't look "cheap" when people are dealing with you in high value items. Ironically as it sounds that's the reason why my dad moved us to New Zealand where it was (not sure now as I don't live there any more) much more down to earth. Coming from Asia if you don't dressed or wear something that you are "fitting in" you just don't get served or respected (unless people got to know you).

Your Rolex (or car, etc) is like a degree or MBA to get your "foot at the door" to a real life business acquaintances interview, is sad but true. Imagine meeting your defence lawyer for the first time, would you feel confidence if he or she turns up in a sweatsuit or in a well tailored suit?

Unfortunately I don't think OP can escape this lifestyle unless you change your industry/career as it seems appearences unfortunately counts and unless you had "made it" is something you might just need to up keep. Just like wearing a suit to work.

Good luck finding your watch, to be honest if you want to be a bit of a baller, buy an AP 15400. The rep is pretty close to gen, not many people will think is fake as is an AP rather than Rolex, not many people know too much about AP compared to a Rolex, is a bit different than "a sub", makes you a bit more memorable to your clients than your "average Joe" sub guy.. Haha

Your implication is that you will always buy a nice watch if you are wealthy - this simply isn't true. Neither is it part of this 'lifestyle'. I've worked at or worked for dozens of FTSE 100 businesses - you simply don't see a Rolex or an AP on every wrist - you're more likely to see a Fitbit / Apple Watch.

Only a minority of rich folks wear an expensive watch. It's different for your father - he sells watches and would benefit from a nice watch and a conversation piece.

People generally are not vacuous enough to conclude that if you are not wearing a Submariner then your life is a failure.

Reactions: YellowFin

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Your implication is that you will always buy a nice watch if you are wealthy - this simply isn't true. Neither is it part of this 'lifestyle'. I've worked at or worked for dozens of FTSE 100 businesses - you simply don't see a Rolex or an AP on every wrist - you're more likely to see a Fitbit / Apple Watch.

Only a minority of rich folks wear an expensive watch. It's different for your father - he sells watches and would benefit from a nice watch and a conversation piece.

People generally are not vacuous enough to conclude that if you are not wearing a Submariner then your life is a failure.
Well corporate companies are very different and also depending on which country and department you worked on.

Say for example you could be working in Goldman, but if you are in IT it might be different than say M&A (I worked there and I know people there) . Also in tech you have people who simply have "F you" money and they wear ripped jeans and a t shirt (my boss was like that) and she simply bought a castle for her "soft retirement". Although I'm not disagreeing with you, but I found your observations slightly a bit blanketed. FSTE100 company doesn't really mean a lot until you get to the top where some of them you are clearly right don't happen to wear nice watches, but instead is going beyond most of us where they have jets and boats, etc.

What I'm trying to say is, unfortunately you sometimes need to conform in order to succeed and then break the rules.

Conscious bias is amongst us and hence I prefered working in tech where I can wear a ripped t shirt, jeans, Jordans and my Panerai. I used to fly on the same flight with bankers in full suits to Luxembourg, staying in the same hotel as them, they look at me up and down along the way wondering what the hell I actually do. Then to their surprise the lovely people at the hotel breakfast knows exactly what I will order.

Last edited:

schlonz

Renowned Member
Supporter
1/5/16
I'D suggest not to buy into the luxury watch thing and go for an Apple watch instead as previously stated by others
if the luxury watch is unavoidable then rather not go for a Rolex but i.e. get a used Omega Speedmaster or Aqua Terra that's somewhat more affordable yet still has the luxury touch
same goes for a Replica luxury watch I'd rather go for something different than a Rolex but would look at Panerai or Omega as it is less likely to run into someone knowing the tells as on a Submariner
however, choice of watch needs to be considered carefully as the tells might be easier when getting the wrong thing
you might want to look here for further advice
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...sion/308081-consensual-list-super-reps-nwbigs

on a personal note, you may want to rethink whether the environment or people around there are where you want to spend the rest of your life
easier said than done I know, however, better make a tough decision now and allow some uncertainty than regret 30 years down the road that you wasted a good portion of your life for something that is not worth it

Reactions: srhoque