• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Solid Gold Rolex Cases - Gauging Interest

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
The only way to make it cheaper would be to use a lower karat, but then the weight and color would be off.

Even at 5k a case, that's still a fraction of a gen gold daytona, but I agree it's a lot of money.

14k gold means you have ~58% of gold.
The color wouldn’t be off as long as you can do a shitload of test to compose the remaining ~42% so that the color resembles the Rolesor one.

Classic 18k gold generally sold will be off in color too, as the Rolesor is a special alloy with its unique color.

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
14k gold means you have ~58% of gold.
The color wouldn’t be off as long as you can do a shitload of test to compose the remaining ~42% so that the color resembles the Rolesor one.

Classic 18k gold generally sold will be off in color too, as the Rolesor is a special alloy with its unique color.

Rolesor is the term Rolex uses for their two-tone models. At 14 karats, it would be difficult to recreate the weight and tone of 18k gold, and I don't have the means to test out a bunch of different alloys (once I make an alloy, if it isn't right, it takes work to reclaim the constituent metals). Rolex likes to tout its proprietary alloys, but historically, they really aren't all that different from industry standard mixes.

Reactions: ssouthall6

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
Rolesor is the term Rolex uses for their two-tone models. At 14 karats, it would be difficult to recreate the weight and tone of 18k gold, and I don't have the means to test out a bunch of different alloys (once I make an alloy, if it isn't right, it takes work to reclaim the constituent metals). Rolex likes to tout its proprietary alloys, but historically, they really aren't all that different from industry standard mixes.

What I can tell is if you put a gen rolex link side by side with let’s say, a startime 18k link the color is noticeably different being a much lighter tone than the startime one, which is a lot yellowish.

How that 25% which is not pure gold is composed makes one hell of a difference in how the gold tone looks.. About the weight I’m totally with you, it would be a pain in the ass to match it.

But imho the greatest pro about making a gold case is having a watch which color can’t fade. I’d say this is much more important than having the weight a bit off, and would still be a big improvement over a stainless case.

If I can give you an advice 3D gold printing is a thing, I just had some mid links of a bracelet made out of it.
This helps a lot on recreating the threads correctly on a case!

Dpap

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
Certified
20/6/13
Absolutely no point in doing that when a gen solid gold day date sells for about that amount.
You gotta find a way to make it cheaper.
Try using 14k.

It depends on the case. For DD yes, though I challenge you to find a decent example with not paper thin lugs at that price.

For gold daytona or subs, I think the price is more than fair. Please do not do 14k...

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
[mention]jptrosch [/mention] Any update on this?

Yeah I spent months working on this. I had even set things up to start production with a local jeweler. It’s on hold for the moment because of the price of gold, which has gone up about 20% since I started. If and when the price of gold drops, I’ll give it the green light.

Last edited:
Reactions: maestroa12349

grandphuba

8/4/18
I think a yachtmaster would be a better candidate given that it comes with a rubber strap. Would be cool if the rehaut in the reps can be inserted into the case.

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
I think a yachtmaster would be a better candidate given that it comes with a rubber strap. Would be cool if the rehaut in the reps can be inserted into the case.

No reason someone couldn't cut off the rehaut and solder it onto the case. I'll leave that to someone else though - very illegal to sell.

I'm starting with the daytona because I was able to use a gen case as the base, there are a lot of models without rehaut engraving, and there are a couple companies already making the bracelets in gold (without the logo on the clasp).

Last edited:
Reactions: ssouthall6

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
[mention]jptrosch [/mention] Bump

I've been sitting on this because I'm not confident I can make money on it. Margins would be tight and the gold Sub cases on startime have been sitting there for a long time.

Last edited:

Baron Rees

Renowned Member
Certified
2/3/14
I've been sitting on this because I'm not confident I can make money on it. Margins would be tight and the gold Sub cases on startime have been sitting there for a long time.

I hear what you’re saying, but the difficulty with the ST cases is if you’re paying that much you probably want a case that’s pretty accurate. ST cases are missing serials, caseback stampings and hallmarks. The first two are easily remedied, but the latter is a bit more difficult.

If someone could point me in the direction of a hallmarked 16808/16618 case I would buy it in a heartbeat.

RD35

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
23/3/21
Would be interested if this is done.

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
I hear what you’re saying, but the difficulty with the ST cases is if you’re paying that much you probably want a case that’s pretty accurate. ST cases are missing serials, caseback stampings and hallmarks. The first two are easily remedied, but the latter is a bit more difficult.

If someone could point me in the direction of a hallmarked 16808/16618 case I would buy it in a heartbeat.

If I go forward with the project they wouldn’t have any of those things, at least not in any way that suggests the cases were made by Rolex.

Last edited:

Stuart Pitt

Supporter
Certified
29/5/21
US
I'd be interested in the current PM Daytona case, around $10K for case and bracelet seems reasonable.
Maybe someone else can do the four stamps, rehaut engravings, and affix a crown to the clasp.
Would you have a link to the aftermarket bracelet?

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Will depend on the fit, finish and tolerance. No point having a solid gold cast if the fit is all over the place. Would need to be nicely matched with a bracelet with proper SEL fit, otherwise the whole watch will look fake (to the wearer).

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: johnlogan

Ramone50000

Horology
10/5/18
5 digit sub and 5 digit GMT. I miss my nipple dial GMT and would be fun to build a gold sub.