• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Solid Gold Rolex Cases - Gauging Interest

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
I've been considering casting some solid gold cases for my own Rolex reps and wanted to see if there's any interest on the forum for me to make more.

They wouldn't have any Rolex engravings or maker's-marks beyond a 750 stamp. I'm not a vendor, so I don't know how much I'm allowed to charge per case, but that's something that can be figured out later - this is only to gauge interest.

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
I’d be interested. Depending on how they look.

could you do white gold, too?

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
I’d be interested. Depending on how they look.

could you do white gold, too?

Yeah, I would make a single mold per model, so in theory I can do any precious metal.

It's hard to say how they'll look at this point. If there's enough interest, I'll make a prototype to figure that out.

Hazing

9/5/19
Yeah, I would make a single mold per model, so in theory I can do any precious metal.

It's hard to say how they'll look at this point. If there's enough interest, I'll make a prototype to figure that out.

Understandable. For me, the watch - that is the replica is the weight. I prefer the feel of the watch to be as close to get just as much of the lol. Because of that, I have stayed away from some models that I absolutly love. Whether it’s a Daydate or a Submariner.

I saw someone with a rep (modified homage) solid gold bracelet the other day which is interesting.

Reactions: jptrosch

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
You planning on casting these or stamping them ?

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
Understandable. For me, the watch - that is the replica is the weight. I prefer the feel of the watch to be as close to get just as much of the lol. Because of that, I have stayed away from some models that I absolutly love. Whether it’s a Daydate or a Submariner.

I saw someone with a rep (modified homage) solid gold bracelet the other day which is interesting.

I agree. It's the weight that gives the watch a lot of its presence on the wrist.

Cadows

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/18
Europe

YG and RG ok but WG is waste of money imo

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
Which models would folks be most interested in?

christo14

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
19/2/16
daytona or sub. am really interested in how these might look. With the new daytona dials and movements i'd say a near perfect rep is possible with the right case. How much gold would it take to make one?

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
daytona or sub. am really interested in how these might look. With the new daytona dials and movements i'd say a near perfect rep is possible with the right case. How much gold would it take to make one?

I've seen a weight breakdown for an older president's model, but most of the time the posted weight includes the movement, dial, crown, crystal, etc.

To determine the amount of gold in the case, you would convert the weight of the steel case to an equal volume of gold and then chop off 25% (because 18K gold is 75% gold by weight). I don't know the conversion ratio off the top of my head.

Hazing

9/5/19
I've seen a weight breakdown for an older president's model, but most of the time the posted weight includes the movement, dial, crown, crystal, etc.

To determine the amount of gold in the case, you would convert the weight of the steel case to an equal volume of gold and then chop off 25% (because 18K gold is 75% gold by weight). I don't know the conversion ratio off the top of my head.

Wiith some time, we can provide the weight for all other parts and pieces and simply subtract to get an estimate.

Reactions: christo14

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
You would still need to have them machined and finished after casting. Casting doesnt produce great surface finishes or sizing tolerances. That and you would need to tap the crown tube hole. Unless you know someone with cnc machines and appropriate models it could be very hard to achieve.