X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KJ2020
    started a topic Batman ceramic insert paint mod

Batman ceramic insert paint mod

I've posted these pics in various other threads before, but I'm posting them in a separate thread for ease of linking to when members ask.

A decent Batman insert is achievable. But making one out of an aftermarket is not really something a casual hobbyist is going to want to tinker with. Here's what he process entails. Note than some pics are of an all blue insert I did just recently.

Dig out the white paint from the markers. I use a jeweler's screwdriver sharpened to a needle point and held in a pin vise. The white paint has a clear coat over it and it will not come out using just chemicals - mineral spirits, acetone, thinner, etc. Nothing I've tried will budge it, even left for long hours.

Paint the whole insert with a good quality all in one primer and paint, metallic silver. Two or three light coats done all at once. I use Krylon 'Brilliant Aluminum'. It dries in about a minute to recoat. Let it dry for a few hours or overnight under a glass.

Scrape the paint off the insert flats with a straight razor. Ceramic is highly scratch resistant, but don't be overly aggressive with the blade. Use a low angle and be careful near the marker sidewalls.

The results will look a little rough under high magnification, but in normal viewing it looks great, just bright beautiful silver.

Reinstall the insert

Member Spongebob does a great platinum sputter coating for around $200 if you want something really professional. Spongebob supplies inserts at an extra charge, but he uses Noobs for the Batman and they have really bad speed bumps. So you need to send him an aftermarket or rep insert of your choosing without any speed bumps. He's in Taiwan, so the whole process can take 3-4 months if you send one to him.

Here's a pic of my Bluesy insert he did.

If you don't want to hassle with any of this, buy a GMF. The insert will be acceptable as is for many people. There is an updated GMF Batman insert out now.

GMF releases true clone 3186 GMTs

I would not plan on ever finding a gen Batman insert for sale. They are impossibly rare and would cost $2.5K -$3K. Additionally, dozens of people would beat you to it before you ever saw it for sale. I'm quite content with mine, which cost me about $50 and a few hours of my time.

• KJ2020
    replied
    Molotow, Posca, and sharpie mods are fine if your insert is still installed on a watch, and with proper care they can last a good while.

If an insert is off the watch and for a longer lasting more durable paint mod, spray paint can be used.

I tried 3 or 4 different colors of gold for my upcoming gold Hulk and settled on Posca gold but wasn't completely happy with the color shade.

So as a last ditch effort I paint modded a junk insert with some Rustoleum Metallic Gold and it looks much better to me.

Unfortunately I had already re-glued the pearl so it had to come off again, arghh.

I repainted the insert and waited 24 hours for it to fully cure.

I always remove excess spray paint with a razor blade first. Find a good angle to scape and avoid pushing shavings into the cutouts. Brush them away with a small brush.

Be careful around the triangle

Next, swipe away the remaining paint with thinner. Spray paint will not come off with alcohol.

Final result, about 45 minutes. Still need to re-glue the pearl.

Leave a comment:

• Burbizia
    replied
    this post is amazing! thanks for sharing!

Leave a comment:

• KJ2020
    replied
    Paint modded blue Sub insert next to a stock unmodded CF V3

Last edited by KJ2020; 12-02-21, 15:16.

Leave a comment:

• Tmills
    replied
    Originally posted by butler182 View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's pretty difficult to powder coat a non-metallically conductive material, like most ceramics (powder just falls off while coating).
    Yeah, it is true that ceramic is difficult to powder coat, but it's not impossible. I've powder coated ceramic and glass in the past. I grounded some aluminum behind or inside the non-conductive material I was using. It came out perfect, however I am unsure the long term durability as the work I did was strictly decorative. It did however hold up to mulitple attempts at scratching it after I baked it.

The powder would probably be too thick though. Paint or a true platinum sputter would be best, IMO
    Last edited by Tmills; 12-02-21, 07:18.

Leave a comment:

• RepIseek
    replied
    Originally posted by KJ2020 View Post

I would clean it all out first before repainting it bro. Goof off and an old toothbrush will clean out all the markers nicely. Most aftermarket inserts are full of white paint and have to be dug out with a needle.

When spraying, apply very thin coats, a few seconds apart. Use the least amount of spray possible on each pass. I apply a good amount of paint maybe 8 or 10 thin bursts of spray. Alternate directions of spray to get complete coverage.

You’re a wealth of knowledge and am grateful RWI has the likes of you and others! Great advice, I will do this, will follow up with pics.

Leave a comment:

• KJ2020
    replied

Leave a comment:

• KJ2020
    replied
    Originally posted by RepIseek View Post
    Update. Not pleased with the 6’s and I am awaiting the 3M adhesive stickers for the insert. Going to hit another coat or two.
    I would clean it all out first before repainting it bro. Goof off and an old toothbrush will clean out all the markers nicely. Most aftermarket inserts are full of white paint and have to be dug out with a needle.

When spraying, apply very thin coats, a few seconds apart. Use the least amount of spray possible on each pass. I apply a good amount of paint maybe 8 or 10 thin bursts of spray. Alternate directions of spray to get complete coverage.

Last edited by KJ2020; 30-01-21, 23:53.

Leave a comment:

• RepIseek
    replied
    Update. Not pleased with the 6’s and I am awaiting the 3M adhesive stickers for the insert. Going to hit another coat or two.

Leave a comment:

• RepIseek
    replied
    Not too difficult and much better

Leave a comment:

• RepIseek
    replied

Yes bro I'd say you are past due

I’ll update this thread after I do the mod, will plan for this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• KJ2020
    replied

Thank you, very helpfully. Also watched a few YouTube videos, seems pretty straight forward.

I feel the numbers on mine are too dark, thoughts?

Yes bro I'd say you are past due

Leave a comment:

• RepIseek
    replied

Check out this thread bro

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...blro-vvvlllooo

You might also want to try this different mod

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...aint-mod/page2
    Thank you, very helpfully. Also watched a few YouTube videos, seems pretty straight forward.

I feel the numbers on mine are too dark, thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• KJ2020
    replied
    I absolutely need to do this mod to my GMF BLNR. Is there a trick or tool needed to remove the bezel, then the ceramic insert?
    Check out this thread bro

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...blro-vvvlllooo

You might also want to try this different mod

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...aint-mod/page2

Leave a comment:

• RepIseek
    replied
    I absolutely need to do this mod to my GMF BLNR. Is there a trick or tool needed to remove the bezel, then the ceramic insert?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X