• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Batman ceramic insert paint mod

Soldier2304

I'm Pretty Popular
10/3/17
The paint is better than stock but how do you deal with that instant give away on the numbers, specially the 1s. I would be much more concerned about those ultra skinny numbers than the actual platinum color itself.

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
KJ2020 Thanks again for your info. Very interesting indeed the rep factories are using different parts from the aftermarkets. Good that you can source those parts from the TD. I always found it is not that welcome by the TD/rep factories, and if they do their prices are mostly pretty high.
BTW, based on insert pic you have shown, does it mean the aftermarkets won't fit onto the bezels to give the proper cosmetics?

Soldier2304 It is not easy to alter the 1s unless you do the engravings again which is extremely hard to do. You need the proper machine and technique to do it.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The paint is better than stock but how do you deal with that instant give away on the numbers, specially the 1s. I would be much more concerned about those ultra skinny numbers than the actual platinum color itself.

There aren't many rep inserts from rep factories or aftermarket that get the 1's right. The gen 1 serifs are curved and the serif tips are parallel to the main shaft of the 1. The ARF 116710 LN is one that does get it right. There isn't a single rep factory BLNR that gets everything right so on those you often have to deal with speed bumps, wrong color transition points, and/or poor color blue. All of those aspects are acceptable on the aftermarket I found to do the paint mod on. I did a paint mod on the original Noob insert on my V8 and it was very good except the speed bumps became highlighted even more. That's a flaw I cannot tolerate. The 1's on mine don't bother me at all. We all have to fix the flaws we can and come to terms with those we can't. I am never around anyone with gen Rolex's so the only one I need to make happy is myself.

ARF 116710 LN insert is very good

TgtP2.jpg

New V9F BLNR insert next to a gen, not so much

CFkYc.jpg

My Noob V8

15897666229641.jpg

GMF 126719 blue dial with custom paint modded aftermarket insert and custom GMT hand. Much nicer 1's than the V9F. This is an example where two aftermarket inserts are better than the V9F rep factory insert, which tbh isn't saying that much. Rep factories have real problems with bicolor inserts.

15899223898892.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: pompompurin

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
KJ2020 Thanks again for your info. Very interesting indeed the rep factories are using different parts from the aftermarkets. Good that you can source those parts from the TD. I always found it is not that welcome by the TD/rep factories, and if they do their prices are mostly pretty high.
BTW, based on insert pic you have shown, does it mean the aftermarkets won't fit onto the bezels to give the proper cosmetics?

Soldier2304 It is not easy to alter the 1s unless you do the engravings again which is extremely hard to do. You need the proper machine and technique to do it.

Once you have an established relationship with a TD, some are willing to get parts. I always get parts in conjunction with a watch order and I often get multiple watches in an order. Both of which increase TD willingness to source parts. I've gotten many dials for $35, hand sets for $30, inserts for $50 or $60. Several TDs list parts like inserts or bracelets under a section called 'Rolex accessories'.

For thin inserts you just double up on the 3M double-sided tape rings, or use the 3M roll tape and stretch it to the proper thickness. There's always a way to make it fit very close to how it should.

Last edited:

exia78

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/2/14
Member Spongebob does a great platinum sputter coating for around $200 if you want something really professional. Spongebob supplies inserts at an extra charge, but he uses Noobs for the Batman and they have really bad speed bumps. So you need to send him an aftermarket or rep insert of your choosing without any speed bumps. He's in Taiwan, so the whole process can take 3-4 months if you send one to him.

First off, thank you for sharing this with us.

How does one get in touch with Spongebob?

Tmills

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/12/20
Las Vegas, NV
Paint mods usually are pretty poor, but yours looks pretty damn good. I'm curious if anyone has tried a powder coating method, could be a middle ground between paint and sputter?

Either way, nice job

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
KJ2020 thanks again for your contributions to this community. I have learned a heck of a lot from you.

Reactions: KJ2020

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Paint mods usually are pretty poor, but yours looks pretty damn good. I'm curious if anyone has tried a powder coating method, could be a middle ground between paint and sputter?

Either way, nice job

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's pretty difficult to powder coat a non-metallically conductive material, like most ceramics (powder just falls off while coating).

RepIseek

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
7/1/20
Texas
I absolutely need to do this mod to my GMF BLNR. Is there a trick or tool needed to remove the bezel, then the ceramic insert?

RepIseek

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
7/1/20
Texas

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thank you, very helpfully. Also watched a few YouTube videos, seems pretty straight forward.

I feel the numbers on mine are too dark, thoughts?

VAr4S0.jpg

Yes bro I'd say you are past due

ZtGaNK.jpg

ZtGK4P.jpg

RepIseek

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
7/1/20
Texas
Update. Not pleased with the 6’s and I am awaiting the 3M adhesive stickers for the insert. Going to hit another coat or two.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Update. Not pleased with the 6’s and I am awaiting the 3M adhesive stickers for the insert. Going to hit another coat or two.

I would clean it all out first before repainting it bro. Goof off and an old toothbrush will clean out all the markers nicely. Most aftermarket inserts are full of white paint and have to be dug out with a needle.

When spraying, apply very thin coats, a few seconds apart. Use the least amount of spray possible on each pass. I apply a good amount of paint maybe 8 or 10 thin bursts of spray. Alternate directions of spray to get complete coverage.

ZQDTCo.jpg

ZQDPik.jpg

ZQD47S.jpg

ZQDwrW.jpg

ZQDkLP.jpg

Last edited: