• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Batman ceramic insert paint mod

RepIseek

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
7/1/20
Texas
I would clean it all out first before repainting it bro. Goof off and an old toothbrush will clean out all the markers nicely. Most aftermarket inserts are full of white paint and have to be dug out with a needle.

When spraying, apply very thin coats, a few seconds apart. Use the least amount of spray possible on each pass. I apply a good amount of paint maybe 8 or 10 thin bursts of spray. Alternate directions of spray to get complete coverage.

ZQDTCo.jpg

ZQDPik.jpg

ZQD47S.jpg

ZQDwrW.jpg

ZQDkLP.jpg

You’re a wealth of knowledge and am grateful RWI has the likes of you and others! Great advice, I will do this, will follow up with pics.

Reactions: KJ2020

Tmills

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/12/20
Las Vegas, NV
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's pretty difficult to powder coat a non-metallically conductive material, like most ceramics (powder just falls off while coating).

Yeah, it is true that ceramic is difficult to powder coat, but it's not impossible. I've powder coated ceramic and glass in the past. I grounded some aluminum behind or inside the non-conductive material I was using. It came out perfect, however I am unsure the long term durability as the work I did was strictly decorative. It did however hold up to mulitple attempts at scratching it after I baked it.

The powder would probably be too thick though. Paint or a true platinum sputter would be best, IMO

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Paint modded blue Sub insert next to a stock unmodded CF V3

Zpsign.jpg

ZpsW12.jpg

Zpsa4E.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hasselbaink

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Molotow, Posca, and sharpie mods are fine if your insert is still installed on a watch, and with proper care they can last a good while.

If an insert is off the watch and for a longer lasting more durable paint mod, spray paint can be used.

I tried 3 or 4 different colors of gold for my upcoming gold Hulk and settled on Posca gold but wasn't completely happy with the color shade.

Zs2s4I.jpg

So as a last ditch effort I paint modded a junk insert with some Rustoleum Metallic Gold and it looks much better to me.

Zs2GEF.jpg

Zs2My4.jpg

Unfortunately I had already re-glued the pearl so it had to come off again, arghh.

Zs2EPi.jpg

I repainted the insert and waited 24 hours for it to fully cure.

Zs2kE1.jpg

I always remove excess spray paint with a razor blade first. Find a good angle to scape and avoid pushing shavings into the cutouts. Brush them away with a small brush.

Zs2drv.jpg

Zs2ucc.jpg

Zs27mX.jpg

Zs20Ht.jpg

Be careful around the triangle

Zs2b12.jpg

Zs2fep.jpg

Next, swipe away the remaining paint with thinner. Spray paint will not come off with alcohol.

Zs2Ft5.jpg

Zs24Hj.jpg

Zs2XeK.jpg

Final result, about 45 minutes. Still need to re-glue the pearl.

Zs2x4E.jpg

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Reactions: p0pperini

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Sir KJ2020, have you ever tried porcelaine paint? Just watched a watch restoration video (see below: skip to ~8:35) where the restorer applies porcelaine paint to the bezel marker, then bakes it in the oven at 160 celcius for 30 minutes. Looks interesting and I suspect it would be super durable and waterproof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9DEvXac0Kg

https://www.misterart.com/glass-tile...ina-paint.html
zKLn3i.png

I saw that video before bro and from your link it says this is enamel paint so it may be worth trying. I have tried baking paint before without any success - it just melted it and it re-dried less uniformly. There wasn't much paint used in the video so maybe that's the secret to hardening it.

I ordered a bottle of the Silver Shimmer. Shipping was more than the paint, arghh. Probably should have gotten a bottle of Pewter too. That's a useful color for mixing. We'll see how it goes!

Last edited:
Reactions: HulkyGalore

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
I ordered a bottle of the Silver Shimmer....We'll see how it goes!

Awesome....I think as you suggest the trickiest part will be keeping the paint uniform as it heats up and then cools down. Keep us posted how it goes.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I saw that video before bro and from your link it says this is enamel paint so it may be worth trying.
Well now, I already knew "porcelain" was "enamel" - from watching countless episodes of "American Pickers". Because whenever Frank or Mike see a metal advertising sign decorated in what we Brits would call "enamel", they refer to it as "porcelain"... :)

Reactions: KJ2020

och

Known Member
19/4/22
Does anyone know if Posca silver will be suitable for Xing GMT Pepsi insert?
Otherwise, any suggestions please?

Reactions: Hugg727

Hugg727

Certified
15/2/23
NJ,USA
Does anyone know if Posca silver will be suitable for Xing GMT Pepsi insert?
Otherwise, any suggestions please?
Does the Xing insert really need that mod? I though he had the paint "sputtered" on that insert to look like Gen.

och

Known Member
19/4/22
Does the Xing insert really need that mod? I though he had the paint "sputtered" on that insert to look like Gen.

You can see the number 6 and 18, it’s not the same color :(

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
2/5/16
I have made the posca mod on some Tag Heuers I have, and even though they look fine, I don't think it will be the same on Xing´s insert. I also have one of those and frankly wouldn't touch it with the posca pen.

HulkyGalore

Known Member
15/12/22
UK
I saw that video before bro and from your link it says this is enamel paint so it may be worth trying. I have tried baking paint before without any success - it just melted it and it re-dried less uniformly. There wasn't much paint used in the video so maybe that's the secret to hardening it.

I ordered a bottle of the Silver Shimmer. Shipping was more than the paint, arghh. Probably should have gotten a bottle of Pewter too. That's a useful color for mixing. We'll see how it goes!
KJ, did you ever try the paint? I have found a local supply and was thinking of silver shimmer myself for a hulk insert. I will have to educate myself on removal and decide whether or not to risk cracking it, as it is a nice colour and do not want to break it. However some areas of the paint has darkened and faded. I am currently reading old threads to understand if the existing (thin) paint needs removing or not. I just want to know if this paint is worth a try, and how it compares to other options based on your experience.

Manuelito108

20/2/23
Italy
I follow to paint my v4 xing bezel, is not uniform color so i d like to know best way to colour it (expecially on 6 number)