No announcement yet.

Batman ceramic insert paint mod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really interested to see how the airbrushing works out. When I saw this Pic I thought it was spray painted and thought it looked like a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

WTB Panerai: 690, 692, 194, 024, 064, 087
    Will Consider Trading: 187, 569, 092, 364 for above models or other rare Pam's

Comment

Just a thought. Is it really necessary to remove the existing coating on the engravings before spraying on the new paint?

Comment

Originally posted by bertieng View Post
        Just a thought. Is it really necessary to remove the existing coating on the engravings before spraying on the new paint?
        Aftermarket inserts are nearly always much thinner than the ones rep factories use. This means the marker cutouts are more shallow. Also, aftermarket marker cutouts are almost always full to the flat surrounding surface, and they have a clear coat over the marker paint. Additional paint will not fit in the space and also will not adhere well to the clear coat. So yes, the existing paint needs to be dug out.
        We are all related in time since time is relative to us all.
        GMT Movements Explained
        BP Rolex 16710 GMT Full Review VS Gen
        Swap your CHS movement to ICHS - possible?
        The Fantasy Watch Thread
        Noob GMT's poor bezel design
        Ceramic insert paint mod

Double Nine Gonzo!

Comment

Thanks for your input KJ2020
          This is interesting, I always thought the rep factories are also just using the aftermarket inserts since it is hard to imagine they will produce their own watch parts except the steel cases.
          In fact, my feeling is that these factories are just assembling the watch parts together from different suppliers.
          This is cleared from the availability of the VR3186 on the open market.

Comment

Rep factories do indeed just assemble parts they source from different suppliers. Fortunately for us, in most instances they use suppliers that make parts that are a cut above what many aftermarket suppliers provide. I have found that to be true with a few key parts - cases, inserts and bezels, dials, hands, datewheels, bracelets, and clasps. Whenever I need one of these parts my first choice to source it is always from a TD. For the cost of rep factory parts, they are a really great resource. On the other hand if I have to source a dial or hands or a datewheel from some random vendor I know the lume isn't going to be great or the hands aren't going to have clean edges or the inserts are going to be thin and will be filled with white paint and not platinum. This is not including suppliers that specialize in vintage parts of course like Yuki, Ruby's, Helenarou, etc.

I've bought probably 50 aftermarket inserts (about 30 ceramic) and not once have I gotten one that was as thick or had deep markers like the rep factory ones. We really are getting better stuff from the rep factories most of the time, as much as we complain about it you'd never know I guess!

You might find this post interesting if you haven't seen it

https://www.repgeek.com/discuss-gene...-industry.html
            Last edited by KJ2020; 24-05-20, 09:39.
            GMT Movements Explained
            The Fantasy Watch Thread
            Ceramic insert paint mod

Double Nine Gonzo!

Comment

The paint is better than stock but how do you deal with that instant give away on the numbers, specially the 1s. I would be much more concerned about those ultra skinny numbers than the actual platinum color itself.

Comment

KJ2020 Thanks again for your info. Very interesting indeed the rep factories are using different parts from the aftermarkets. Good that you can source those parts from the TD. I always found it is not that welcome by the TD/rep factories, and if they do their prices are mostly pretty high.
                BTW, based on insert pic you have shown, does it mean the aftermarkets won't fit onto the bezels to give the proper cosmetics?

Soldier2304 It is not easy to alter the 1s unless you do the engravings again which is extremely hard to do. You need the proper machine and technique to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Soldier2304 View Post
                  The paint is better than stock but how do you deal with that instant give away on the numbers, specially the 1s. I would be much more concerned about those ultra skinny numbers than the actual platinum color itself.
                  There aren't many rep inserts from rep factories or aftermarket that get the 1's right. The gen 1 serifs are curved and the serif tips are parallel to the main shaft of the 1. The ARF 116710 LN is one that does get it right. There isn't a single rep factory BLNR that gets everything right so on those you often have to deal with speed bumps, wrong color transition points, and/or poor color blue. All of those aspects are acceptable on the aftermarket I found to do the paint mod on. I did a paint mod on the original Noob insert on my V8 and it was very good except the speed bumps became highlighted even more. That's a flaw I cannot tolerate. The 1's on mine don't bother me at all. We all have to fix the flaws we can and come to terms with those we can't. I am never around anyone with gen Rolex's so the only one I need to make happy is myself.

ARF 116710 LN insert is very good

New V9F BLNR insert next to a gen, not so much

My Noob V8

GMF 126719 blue dial with custom paint modded aftermarket insert and custom GMT hand. Much nicer 1's than the V9F. This is an example where two aftermarket inserts are better than the V9F rep factory insert, which tbh isn't saying that much. Rep factories have real problems with bicolor inserts.

Last edited by KJ2020; 24-05-20, 09:45.
                  GMT Movements Explained
                  The Fantasy Watch Thread
                  Ceramic insert paint mod

Double Nine Gonzo!

Comment

Originally posted by bertieng View Post
                    KJ2020 Thanks again for your info. Very interesting indeed the rep factories are using different parts from the aftermarkets. Good that you can source those parts from the TD. I always found it is not that welcome by the TD/rep factories, and if they do their prices are mostly pretty high.
                    BTW, based on insert pic you have shown, does it mean the aftermarkets won't fit onto the bezels to give the proper cosmetics?

Soldier2304 It is not easy to alter the 1s unless you do the engravings again which is extremely hard to do. You need the proper machine and technique to do it.
                    Once you have an established relationship with a TD, some are willing to get parts. I always get parts in conjunction with a watch order and I often get multiple watches in an order. Both of which increase TD willingness to source parts. I've gotten many dials for $35, hand sets for $30, inserts for $50 or $60. Several TDs list parts like inserts or bracelets under a section called 'Rolex accessories'.

For thin inserts you just double up on the 3M double-sided tape rings, or use the 3M roll tape and stretch it to the proper thickness. There's always a way to make it fit very close to how it should.
                    Last edited by KJ2020; 24-05-20, 09:47.
                    GMT Movements Explained
                    The Fantasy Watch Thread
                    Ceramic insert paint mod

Double Nine Gonzo!

Comment

GMT Movements Explained
                      The Fantasy Watch Thread
                      Ceramic insert paint mod

Double Nine Gonzo!

Comment

Originally posted by KJ2020 View Post

Member Spongebob does a great platinum sputter coating for around $200 if you want something really professional. Spongebob supplies inserts at an extra charge, but he uses Noobs for the Batman and they have really bad speed bumps. So you need to send him an aftermarket or rep insert of your choosing without any speed bumps. He's in Taiwan, so the whole process can take 3-4 months if you send one to him.

First off, thank you for sharing this with us.

How does one get in touch with Spongebob?

Comment

here is my Batman

Comment

Originally posted by exia78 View Post

First off, thank you for sharing this with us.

How does one get in touch with Spongebob?
                            PM him bro Spongebob
                            GMT Movements Explained
                            The Fantasy Watch Thread
                            Ceramic insert paint mod

Double Nine Gonzo!

Comment

Paint mods usually are pretty poor, but yours looks pretty damn good. I'm curious if anyone has tried a powder coating method, could be a middle ground between paint and sputter?

Either way, nice job
                              Last edited by Tmills; 18-12-20, 07:53.

Comment

KJ2020 thanks again for your contributions to this community. I have learned a heck of a lot from you.

Comment

Working...
                                X