• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

5513 case suppliers

substd

Horology Curious
12/3/20
Hi guys,
as the virus takes hold (the replica one that is) I find myself unable to fend off the desire to build a 5513 Sub. I have been amazed at some of the superb builds on here, and the level of detailed information available. What I would like to know is, who currently supplies replica 5513 cases etc. , ideally to take a 2824 or 2836 movement, as I have quite a few old swiss movements from stripped vintage watches. Looking for a mid budget build.

Any information or links etc. would be greatly appreciated.

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Welcome aboard! All of the TDs sell the 5513- typically referred to as the cartel 5513- start looking around and keep on reading. Also, use the search function and see what you find.
Helenarou.com sells a 5513 case- takes a 2824-2 (clone) and they also have Rolex marked dials but you'll need to ask nicely.
I think of mid range pricewise as $500-750. If you mod a cartel, you might be able to get by for less.
Modding a cartel watch might be a good place to start.
Typical mods on a cartel are to trim the cgs, drill the lugholes to spec size, maybe install a better crown and tube. Changing out the dial and aging the dial, hands and bezel insert are other easy mods.

This is a cartel- the stubby cg model. I shaved the outsides of the cgs, filed down the inside of the crown seat, drilled the lugholes to spec- 1.25-1.3mm and installed a gen 702 crown and tube. Watch is WR and the asian21j has been working like a champ for 4-5 years.

substd

Horology Curious
12/3/20
Hi Alligoat,
I was just starting to think I had done something wrong, and about to give up. But you have restored my faith in this forum. your suggestions are very close to what I have in mind, apart from movement choice. I plan on fitting a vintage ETA , maybe a mix of bits to change a 2824 to lower BPH.
Its surprisingly difficult to find a a stockist of 5513 cases or complete replicas, even searching through the TD websites. Helenerau seems to rule itself out due to not enough CG to to work with. The Vietnam cases seem to be very good, but as a 1st build I would prefer to limit my budget. I have a found a few options on Hontwatch ! Do you know what supplier they use for their 5513 ?
Thanks and regards,
substd.

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Check with Marvelous Replicas, he has the cartel 5513 on sale for around $100 with a 2813 which can be replaced with 2836.

substd

Horology Curious
12/3/20
Hi Hor-Fan
thanks for the tip, but I can’t seem to to find an up to date link or way of contacting MR !
maybe my search skills need honing!
regards,
substd

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Marvellous is back in action- I got a watch from him last week. An eta cartel with a 2846-2 movement swapped in would be nice. Maybe a better dial and the other mods I mentioned before and you'd have a very nice beater. I'm finding that the $500-700 watches work just fine for me. I've done a few with the Rolex movements but they just don't get the wrist time that the moderately priced beaters do.

substd

Horology Curious
12/3/20
Hi alligator,

I have been in touch with Marvellous, and they have exactly what I want. My only problem is payment, I normally use PayPal, but they want Huobi bitcoin, and I struggling to get it sorted. May have to find another seller who accepts PayPal !

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Marvellous took Western Union with me- I just told him I didn't know how to do bitcoin.

substd

Horology Curious
12/3/20
Thanks also alligoat,

Their price was very good, so it maybe worth trying WU, it’s probably my numpty PC skills that are preventing me completing the payment process