• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Water got in my watch

Bigpapa

Known Member
13/2/18
Guys help ???? I got some water in my DJ41 and the crystal has some moisture from the inside. It has a gen crystal and DW and I want to minimize any damage. What do I do to do so? I wanna send it back out to Grimlocktime to make it water resistant. But until then how can I make sure I minimize any damage?

VOYVwg.jpg

OldNavitimer

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
22/1/19
Let it sit in a small container with a couple of silica packs and the crown unscrewed

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Remove the caseback and open the crown . Then place in a sealed container with a couple of those silica packets that come in shoe boxes etc . Preferably level near a low level heat source a large watt light bulb etc . Leave alone for a couple of days and this should get rid of moisture so you can reseal .

Bigpapa

Known Member
13/2/18
Remove the caseback and open the crown . Then place in a sealed container with a couple of those silica packets that come in shoe boxes etc . Preferably level near a low level heat source a large watt light bulb etc . Leave alone for a couple of days and this should get rid of moisture so you can reseal .
Thanks guys for the quick response. I’ll do it when I get back home tonight. I’m mad that some dust got in too.

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
If you don't have silica packs you could fill the bottom of the box with rice . It will probably be a gasket failure or total lack of gasket . I had the same problem with a ZF Tudor BB i discovered the caseback wasn't fully screwed down ( needed one last turn ) and the watch was missing a caseback gasket from the factory .

If you act quickly you may get away with moisture in movement . I did the above remedy replaced the gasket and the watch has been fine since, it has run like a champ . However moisture can rust the internal moving parts . Your watch smith may recommend as well making the watch water tight that the movement is fully serviced , which will mean it is disassembled and cleaned .

Bigpapa

Known Member
13/2/18
If you don't have silica packs you could fill the bottom of the box with rice . It will probably be a gasket failure or total lack of gasket . I had the same problem with a ZF Tudor BB i discovered the caseback wasn't fully screwed down ( needed one last turn ) and the watch was missing a caseback gasket from the factory .

If you act quickly you may get away with moisture in movement . I did the above remedy replaced the gasket and the watch has been fine since, it has run like a champ . However moisture can rust the internal moving parts . Your watch smith may recommend as well making the watch water tight that the movement is fully serviced , which will mean it is disassembled and cleaned .

I want to send it out to grim but by the time it gets to him I wanna make sure the moisture is out. I may just drop a gen movement in it now and get it water proofed by him.

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Thanks guys for the quick response. I’ll do it when I get back home tonight. I’m mad that some dust got in too.

Once the moisture has dried out then dust under the crystal is a possibilty but not a certain. If there is then your watch smith can also sort this when he services/ sorts gaskets WR by disassembling the watch further . Before you reseal back up the case back run a 'COLD' hair dryer at 'LOW' speed over movement . Don't blow directly over the movement hold level with the caseback and let the air blow across the movement (say left to right ) . This won't get rid of the dust under the crystal but will blow it from movement .

Hopefully this DIY fix will sort the moisture without any dust intake . However the watch is still letting in moisture , hopefully it will be something obvious like my missing caseback gasket . If it isn't then your watchsmith will need to diagnose where it is coming in anyway .

Sending to grimlock putting gen movement sorting out seals and WR ( maybe any dust intake ) sounds like a good idea . Especially as you were going to send to him for service movement change anyway it seems . In my case the watch is my ( rather amazing looking Z4 red shield on a ZICZAC red Ostrich strap ) $200 daily beater watch . So a home DIY fix was fine , no dust under crystal and the watch runs like a champ .

Looking agian at that picture , looks like you have both dust and moisture under the crystal .

Last edited:

Bigpapa

Known Member
13/2/18
Once the moisture has dried out then dust under the crystal is a possibilty but not a certain. If there is then your watch smith can also sort this when he services/ sorts gaskets WR by disassembling the watch further . Before you reseal back up the case back run a 'COLD' hair dryer at 'LOW' speed over movement . Don't blow directly over the movement hold level with the caseback and let the air blow across the movement (say left to right ) . This won't get rid of the dust under the crystal but will blow it from movement .

Hopefully this DIY fix will sort the moisture without any dust intake . However the watch is still letting in moisture , hopefully it will be something obvious like my missing caseback gasket . If it isn't then your watchsmith will need to diagnose where it is coming in anyway .

Sending to grimlock putting gen movement sorting out seals and WR ( maybe any dust intake ) sounds like a good idea . Especially as you were going to send to him for service movement change anyway it seems . In my case the watch is my ( rather amazing looking Z4 red shield on a ZICZAC red Ostrich strap ) $200 daily beater watch . So a home DIY fix was fine , no dust under crystal and the watch runs like a champ .

Looking agian at that picture , looks like you have both dust and moisture under the crystal .

This might be a stupid question but, I opened the case back and put some rice in a container along with 2 silica packets. Does it matter how I place the watch in the container? Right now I got crystal facing down on the rice, wondering if it matters if I should have the exposed back facing down on the rice. Also my o-ring on the case back seems loose. Any one know what part I can order to replace that? On a side note, the moisture cleared up while I had the watch in my bag wrapped around some paper towels and the crown pulled out to stop the movement. There seems to be no sign of dust either.

Edit: Realized the 2nd pic looks foggy, but it just the lighting. Bad pic.

VOYGzL.png

VOYP22.png

Last edited:

OldNavitimer

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
22/1/19
Rice doesn't actually work for your needs. The silica packs are more efficient.
The O-ring doesn't fit on the caseback, it fits in a groove in the midcase itself. The O-ring is probably fine if replaced in its groove properly and screwed down correctly. Look at the O-ring for any pinch marks or flat spots. As long as it isn't dry, brittle, or too stretched, you should be good to go.

Can you take a pic of the watch from the crown side? I think your crystal may be setting up too high on the gasket. Unless you know that the crown was unscrewed, I'm betting that's the source of your water intrusion.

Bigpapa

Known Member
13/2/18
Rice doesn't actually work for your needs. The silica packs are more efficient.
The O-ring doesn't fit on the caseback, it fits in a groove in the midcase itself. The O-ring is probably fine if replaced in its groove properly and screwed down correctly. Look at the O-ring for any pinch marks or flat spots. As long as it isn't dry, brittle, or too stretched, you should be good to go.

Can you take a pic of the watch from the crown side? I think your crystal may be setting up too high on the gasket. Unless you know that the crown was unscrewed, I'm betting that's the source of your water intrusion.

I tried putting on the o ring onto the grove in the midcase and I can't get it to go in all the way perfectly. It moves around and the groove isn't deep enough to catch it. I took a pic and its as perfect as I can get it, but you can see where I circled, it isn't sitting in the grove. Grim built this watch for me. It's a ARF DJ41 v3 base and he added a gen xtal and DW.

VOYojK.png

VOYfud.png

OldNavitimer

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
22/1/19
I tried putting on the o ring onto the grove in the midcase and I can't get it to go in all the way perfectly. It moves around and the groove isn't deep enough to catch it. I took a pic and its as perfect as I can get it, but you can see where I circled, it isn't sitting in the grove.

That's odd, as O-rings usually stretch and get too big, not too small. It looks like you need a newer / different O-ring.

Bigpapa

Known Member
13/2/18
That's odd, as O-rings usually stretch and get too big, not too small. It looks like you need a newer / different O-ring.

How does the glass look? Is it too raised? I'll try and get it to fit with some tweezers.

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
This might be a stupid question but, I opened the case back and put some rice in a container along with 2 silica packets. Does it matter how I place the watch in the container? Right now I got crystal facing down on the rice, wondering if it matters if I should have the exposed back facing down on the rice. Also my o-ring on the case back seems loose. Any one know what part I can order to replace that? On a side note, the moisture cleared up while I had the watch in my bag wrapped around some paper towels and the crown pulled out to stop the movement. There seems to be no sign of dust either.

Edit: Realized the 2nd pic looks foggy, but it just the lighting. Bad pic.

VOYGzL.png

VOYP22.png

So movement up / crystal down as you have placed it in picture . If you place it the other way you will get rice in the watch :D You can place the silica packets on top of the movement if you like . Then seal the container and leave it be for a couple of days .

The case back gasket is more of an flat exact part on a DJ to fit in the groove .Rather than a stretch to fit O ring .

I reckon due to poor fit etc you report that is how the moisture has gotten in !

The good thing with it being for a DJ you can get the exact case back gasket ( either gen or aftermarket ) which has a part number. It should be easy to source using Google ! I don't know the part number off hand but it should easy to identify the gasket you need . I know Cousins will have them , other watch bits suppliers , loads on Ebay etc .

With regards to just opening the crown and wrapping in paper towels . It may dry out the crystal visually but the moisture is still there . When you seal the watch back up it will come back . A bit like moisture that comes and goes in a unit of double glazed glass were the seal has gone . The moisture comes and goes due to atmospheric pressure but the moisture is still sealed in the unit .

That is why you need to open the case back and crown and use silica . Give it time to fully dry out .

If it was my watch I would order a new gasket and leave the watch open in the container until it arrives . Then replace the gasket and close the watch up .

Before I sealed it up I would leave it in the open air near a bulb as a low level heat source for a couple of hours .

Hopefully there no moisture under the crystal , the watch runs OK and you have gotten away with no corrosion to the movement. That might be enough to make the watch water tight again , and get it back on your wrist . Perhaps a further pressure test to check the WR might be prudent

Of course you still have the option of sending the watch away to Grimlock as well .

Last edited:

Bigpapa

Known Member
13/2/18
So movement up / crystal down as you have placed it in picture . If you place it the other way you will get rice in the watch :D You can place the silica packets on top of the movement if you like . Then seal the container and leave it be for a couple of days .

The case back gasket is more of an flat exact part on a DJ to fit in the groove .Rather than a stretch to fit O ring .

I reckon due to poor fit etc you report that is how the moisture has gotten in !

The good thing with it being for a DJ you can get the exact case back gasket ( either gen or aftermarket ) which has a part number. It should be easy to source using Google ! I don't know the part number off hand but it should easy to identify the gasket you need . I know Cousins will have them , other watch bits suppliers , loads on Ebay etc .

With regards to just opening the crown and wrapping in paper towels . It may dry out the crystal visually but the moisture is still there . When you seal the watch back up it will come back . A bit like moisture that comes and goes in a unit of double glazed glass were the seal has gone . The moisture comes and goes due to atmospheric pressure but the moisture is still sealed in the unit .

That is why you need to open the case back and crown and use silica . Give it time to fully dry out .

If it was my watch I would order a new gasket and leave the watch open in the container until it arrives . Then replace the gasket and close the watch up .

Before I sealed it up I would leave it in the open air near a bulb as a low level heat source for a couple of hours .

Hopefully there no moisture under the crystal , the watch runs OK and you have gotten away with no corrosion to the movement. That might be enough to make the watch water tight again , and get it back on your wrist . Perhaps a further pressure test to check the WR might be prudent

Of course you still have the option of sending the watch away to Grimlock as well .

Thanks for the info. I didn't open the watch back and set it in paper towel. I just wrapped my watch up, closed with the crown out to stop the movement and I put it away in my bag til I got out of work. I'll let it dry for a few days and order a gasket online. What seal should I use for the gasket? Recommend any?

I can't seem to find the part number, any help?

Last edited:

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
For the gaskets you need silicone 0 ring grease there are loads of options . For the gasket just put into Google your ' watch model number O ring case back ' gasket . Again there are loads of options ebay , Cousins , Esllinger ,etc etc etc . It shouldn't need a rocket scientist to work out the Part number and the correct gasket . Otherwise perhaps send it to me and i'll fix it for you :D Come on chap you can lead a horse to water and all that . I think you can sort this out yourself from here let me know how you get on .

Last edited:
Reactions: OldNavitimer

Bigpapa

Known Member
13/2/18
For the gaskets you need silicone 0 ring grease there are loads of options . For the gasket just put into Google your ' watch model number O ring case back ' gasket . Again there are loads of options ebay , Cousins , Esllinger ,etc etc etc . It shouldn't need a rocket scientist to work out the Part number and the correct gasket . Otherwise perhaps send it to me and i'll fix it for you :D Come on chap you can lead a horse to water and all that . I think you can sort this out yourself from here let me know how you get on .

I searched google, Chrono24 and eBay. I just want to make 100% I’m buying a gen piece. So to minimize any error I was asking if anyone knew the exact model number I needed. But thanks for your help and time. Be well and stay safe.