• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Explorer I 214270 39mm ARF vs. BP vs. others?

Theodizee

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/12/20
has anyone tried a BP Explorer 316L with an ARF 116610 bracelet? My BP Explorer has terrible SELs and the glidelock would be a nice upgrade of the clasp

Feefo

Your cleverness is mistaken for your cleverness
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
Recently asked chazingtime to source me a BP with eta clone and 316L ss (I don't need 904L for a surcharge and like the idea of a 1:1 swap if and when the clone mov dies on me). It took some time all right but apparently got it in today and will send me QC soon. Quite excited about it. I hope to have a smooth QC, had no problems with my previous OP and DJ so far.... But, since mine was a special request, anything you guys think I should watch out for? Some blatant old stock flaws?
Thanks

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
Am I right in identifying this as an A2836 and that I can recognize by the calendar spring in the circle?
Thanks

Fishthefish

Horology Curious
2/6/22
Bought $200 in my country singapore. Any comments. Dont know what factory. The original bracelet isnt shiny so i had it change to the strap. Does anyone knows if its possible to buy a 904L bracelet for this 39mm. So it can more more shiny.

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Am I right in identifying this as an A2836 and that I can recognize by the calendar spring in the circle?
Thanks

That’s the clamp that holds the dial feet in the movement.

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
:dejection: must have misunderstood other thread then. More reading....

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
Is it an a2836 though? Did I get that right?

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
Arrived today! Same opinion as johnlogan , very happy with it, it's gorgeous.
Only thing, it's quite dirty, took me some work to unscrew bracelet links for adjustment. Secondly, as much as I like it, for my taste it's a tad too big, just a tiny bit, I just feel more comfortable with smaller watches, have some 38mm that I'm fine with, this one is just more "present". But I'll still wear it and it'll probably grow on me, maybe at some point I'll change opinion on size.
​​​​​​Would be nice if someone confirmed movement type from a couple of posts above, thanks.
The lume is fine.

KenzoMoDE

31/1/19
Hey fellas, looking to purchase BP explorer. I see geektime only has the 904 version. Can anyone point me to the 316 version? Thanks in advance

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
Hey fellas, looking to purchase BP explorer. I see geektime only has the 904 version. Can anyone point me to the 316 version? Thanks in advance

Ask your TD to source you the BPin 316 and he will find it for you. Did the same myself with chazingtime.

AndyDav55

Known Member
Certified
13/2/18
Arrived today! Same opinion as johnlogan , very happy with it, it's gorgeous.
Only thing, it's quite dirty, took me some work to unscrew bracelet links for adjustment. Secondly, as much as I like it, for my taste it's a tad too big, just a tiny bit, I just feel more comfortable with smaller watches, have some 38mm that I'm fine with, this one is just more "present". But I'll still wear it and it'll probably grow on me, maybe at some point I'll change opinion on size.
​​​​​​Would be nice if someone confirmed movement type from a couple of posts above, thanks.
The lume is fine.

Grats on the watch. Do you mind me asking how much it cost you? thanks

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
Not at all, total with shipping 302€. Explorer 1 39mm, 316L, eta clone movement....

Theodizee

27/12/20
has anyone tried a BP Explorer 316L with an ARF 116610 bracelet? My BP Explorer has terrible SELs and the glidelock would be a nice upgrade of the clasp

A follow up on my question:
I did a little bit of research and was confident that a 97200 bracelet (used on 116610 / 114060 Subs) would fit a on a 39 mm Explorer 1. At least on Gen it should fit 100% with the correct SEL curve. I based my assumption on the fact that the 63600 super Jubilee does fit on Subs and Exp 1 and there are pictures of both watches with Jubilee up on the rlx forums.

Next step was to order a 97200 ARF bracelet but they are hard to find and I changed my order to a Clean factory bracelet after waiting for a month to get QC from my dealer. Long story short it arrived yesterday and I installed it.

It snapped right in and sits thight without SEL gaps using Everest spring bars. The SEL curve is not perfect and hence not recessed like Gen. and at the caseback it does not fit 100%. But the BP SELs on my watch were utter garbage and all over the place without any recess. I think I really got a bad batch. Now it has at least the same look at alle sides.

Overall an improvement over my BP bracelet on look and feel. Plus I got a glidelock clasp.

And now some pictures of the new bracelet, 316L BPF Explorer 1 with 904L Clean factory 97200 bracelet (SEL code T2A, clasp code 1LD):

Reactions: BOSSK

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
The SEL curve is not perfect and hence not recessed like Gen. and at the caseback it does not fit 100%. But the BP SELs on my watch were utter garbage and all over the place without any recess. I think I really got a bad batch. Now it has at least the same look at alle sides.

Not sure you had a bad batch, my BP bracelet also has no recess. Not sure I would go through all the hassle, though, the different SEL curve would bother me more, I think. BUT, I'm more the ootb guy while you seem to be the kind of guy who'll try to improve the situation and try mods and Frankens. Not my cup of tea (... yet...?)

Theodizee

27/12/20
Not sure you had a bad batch, my BP bracelet also has no recess. Not sure I would go through all the hassle, though, the different SEL curve would bother me more, I think. BUT, I'm more the ootb guy while you seem to be the kind of guy who'll try to improve the situation and try mods and Frankens. Not my cup of tea (... yet...?)

Your watch is just fine. I would not have changed the bracelet on yours. Look at my BP bracelet. Every corner is different. The SEL is not recessed but it's higher than the lug on some sides. And you could tilt the whole 6 o'clock SEL.. It was just garbage. And on top the movement crapped out after 3 weeks. Now it runs with a Gen ETA 2824-2. And I'm not the a franken / mod guy. it was just so bad that I could not stand the watch without changing the bracelet. With the new one the recess is not perfect but at least its the same look on all 4 lugs. And I got the better clasp
zimpv3.jpg
zimQ2E.jpg
ziml6n.jpg
zimtF2.jpg
zimPjs.jpg
zimTOY.jpg
zimXkD.jpg

Last edited:

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
Your watch is just fine. I would not have changed the bracelet on yours. Look at my BP bracelet. Every corner is different. The SEL is not recessed but it's higher than the lug on some sides. And you could tilt the whole 6 o'clock SEL.. It was just garbage. And on top the movement crapped out after 3 weeks. Now it runs with a Gen ETA 2824-2. And I'm not the a franken / mod guy. it was just so bad that I could not stand the watch without changing the bracelet. With the new one the recess is not perfect but at least its the same look on all 4 lugs. And I got the better clasp

Got it. You're right, you win. Compared to that my bracelet is really fine. May have gone your same way in that case, too. Or, try a higher quality factory?

Reactions: Theodizee