• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMF released a GMT 3186 clone movement

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Someone in some thread posted a table comparing the different factories along different criteria. I've been searching for 1.5 hours now and couldn't find it.... Does anybody remember this table and can post a link to the posting?

Try searching in Google, add rwi to search box

timavo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/1/20
Try searching in Google, add rwi to search box

Thanks for the tip! Manually searched through dozens of threads and tried googling as well... "site:replica-watch.info ...." and gave up after 1.5 hours....

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks for the tip! Manually searched through dozens of threads and tried googling as well... "site:replica-watch.info ...." and gave up after 1.5 hours....

You sure it was this forum? I don't recall such a post and doubt I would have missed it if it's recent.

timavo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/1/20
E90I5.png

Btw. this is the table I was talking about. Maybe we could make one for the GMT II? It's of great help keeping track of all these details...

I've prepared a Google Sheets table. Feel free to edit/add content... ;-) (the current ratings are just dummy numbers)

Last edited:
Reactions: immortalchef

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Btw. this is the table I was talking about. Maybe we could make one for the GMT II? It's of great help keeping track of all these details...

I've prepared a Google Sheets table. Feel free to edit/add content... ;-) (the current ratings are just dummy numbers)

Very nice!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Root beer with VR3185 arrived today! The insert looks amazing!

Looks great bro. You had the back off? If it really is a VR3185 it may be a unicorn as Li said GMF isn't using them anymore.

JK2087

Horology Curious
26/5/20
KJ I just got my GMF GMT yesterday from Li in the mail and im right in the batch between the VR movement and some saying they had the bad movement again. Is there a quick way to ID the movement without opening it?

I know you mentioned it before but I cannot find it after looking around. Thanks for helping us newbs out.

I will say the crystal being raised is really noticable and kind of a bummer. Im really pleased with the overall fit and finish from GMF but if they could fix the serif 1 and raised crystal this watch would have been even better. Im actually pleased with the insert as the transition isnt is noticable in person and honestly you need to look really close in the light to see it.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Set the local time to between 9AM and 3PM in crown position 3. Then put the crown in position 2 and rotate it slowly anti-clockwise. If the hour hand jumps anti-clockwise, it's a VR. No need to hour jump beyond what you need to set the hands how you want.

If it jumps clockwise it could be either a 2824 CHS timebomb or the early release SA3186, further investigation would be needed.

Reactions: immortalchef

shel504

Renowned Member
26/5/20
Im really pleased with the overall fit and finish from GMF but if they could fix the serif 1 and raised crystal this watch would have been even better.

Anyone know if the VRF bezel insert will fit into the GMF bezel?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Anyone know if the VRF bezel insert will fit into the GMF bezel?

I can't answer that question unequivocally from firsthand experience but here's a GMF insert in a VRF 116710 LN bezel. Fit is perfect

xgHn2.jpg

Pretty much all rep, aftermarket, and gen ceramic inserts have a 38.0mm outer diameter. The inner diameter is usually 30.8mm but can vary a little. As long as the inner is greater than 30.5mm it's going to clear the crystal, and the ID is not impacted by the bezel. Both GMF and VRF inserts are adhered in the bezel (not pressure fit) so no worries there.

Interestingly, there are some noticeable differences in insert thicknesses. Below you can see this. You will need to use more or less glue or layers of double-sided tape to compensate. In one rare case, a member chose to shave the very thick Noob Pepsi insert down quite a bit to fit in the very shallow height ARF bezel. This is no easy task, requiring diamond sanding discs and significant skill.

xg2Zn.jpg

shel504

Renowned Member
26/5/20
I can't answer that question unequivocally from firsthand experience but here's a GMF insert in a VRF 116710 LN bezel. Fit is perfect

xgHn2.jpg

Pretty much all rep, aftermarket, and gen ceramic inserts have a 38.0mm outer diameter. The inner diameter is usually 30.8mm but can vary a little. As long as the inner is greater than 30.5mm it's going to clear the crystal, and the ID is not impacted by the bezel. Both GMF and VRF inserts are adhered in the bezel (not pressure fit) so no worries there.

Interestingly, there are some noticeable differences in insert thicknesses. Below you can see this. You will need to use more or less glue or layers of double-sided tape to compensate. In one rare case, a member chose to shave the very thick Noob Pepsi insert down quite a bit to fit in the very shallow height ARF bezel. This is no easy task, requiring diamond sanding discs and significant skill.

Thanks, I'm thinking I may work on trying this, as the VRF bezels seem to have the serif font "1"s.

Interesting, I would have expected the VRF BLNR and LN to have the same thickness.