• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMF released a GMT 3186 clone movement

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Guys another question: are there any normal Pepsi on a market? If no what would be your recommendation for LN? VRF? Or GMF?

What do mean by normal Pepsi? Not a timebomb? Not with a great insert.

IMO the V9F and VRF are top contenders for LN. I like the V9F LN insert

MlUs8.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
You have 2 questions :D Only Pepsi worth spending is the Noob (for the amazing insert) and then fix the bezel issue and pop in a VR3185 (hand will need some modding to fit).

For LN, it’s got be ARF. It is wearable straight ootb. Putting in a VR3185 makes it even more reliable.

A lot of newer ARFs are exhibiting date changing issues, I have one inbound now to try to fix. The VR3185 will not always take ARF hands without modding the hands collars, there is a growing number of reported cases. Finally, there was a GLUED tube issue recently reported. Personally I would pick something else right now.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...710-sh3186-photo-review?p=8987169#post8987169

newyork19

Horology Curious
17/12/19
Hi everyone.

I am looking for an excellent rep of the GMT master II 116710 LN.
I found this on PureTime and noticed that it also has the small incision of the crown on the glass at 6 o'clock.

https://puretimewatch.io/gmt-master-...h3186-chs.html

Can you give me your opinion (as for movement and aesthetics) since you're surely more expert thaen me? Do you think this could be an excellent rep?

Thanks

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Hi everyone.

I am looking for an excellent rep of the GMT master II 116710 LN.
I found this on PureTime and noticed that it also has the small incision of the crown on the glass at 6 o'clock.

https://puretimewatch.io/gmt-master-...h3186-chs.html

Can you give me your opinion (as for movement and aesthetics) since you're surely more expert thaen me? Do you think this could be an excellent rep?

Thanks

Good advice right here. but keep 8n mind the watch you linked isn’t the watch this thread is about.

A lot of newer ARFs are exhibiting date changing issues, I have one inbound now to try to fix. The VR3185 will not always take ARF hands without modding the hands collars, there is a growing number of reported cases. Finally, there was a GLUED tube issue recently reported. Personally I would pick something else right now.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...710-sh3186-photo-review?p=8987169#post8987169

Hazing

9/5/19
You have 2 questions :D Only Pepsi worth spending is the Noob (for the amazing insert) and then fix the bezel issue and pop in a VR3185 (hand will need some modding to fit).

For LN, it’s got be ARF. It is wearable straight ootb. Putting in a VR3185 makes it even more reliable.

I don’t know if I feel the same way. I’ve pointed this out before. I mean I think the only aspect of the ARF LN that is superior Is the insert. In every other way the ARF LN is disappointing compared to what we’ve come to Typically expect from ARF.

But it is amazing to see how much a superior insert drives sales. I understand this is a replica and we’re looking for aesthetics.

I just don’t understand why other factories can make a better insert.

Reactions: KJ2020

OldNavitimer

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
22/1/19
I don’t know if I feel the same way. I’ve pointed this out before. I mean I think the only aspect of the ARF LN that is superior Is the insert. In every other way the ARF LN is disappointing compared to what we’ve come to Typically expect from ARF.

I currently own the latest ARF and VRF LNs, and VRF, GMF and Noob BLNRs and BLROs. In the past I've owned just about every version of Noob and BP made. In my experience, the ARF bracelet and clasp is definitely superior, and it has the best SELs. The ARF handset is waaaaay better than any other GMT handset I've seen. The dial is the best finished, with perfect lume application (the VRF is just sloppy) and the lume is almost perfect (the minute hand is a little weak, common with ARF lately). And without a doubt, the bezel insert is the best rep made.

But then there's the movement....

Hazing

9/5/19
I currently own the latest ARF and VRF LNs, and VRF, GMF and Noob BLNRs and BLROs. In the past I've owned just about every version of Noob and BP made. In my experience, the ARF bracelet and clasp is definitely superior, and it has the best SELs. The ARF handset is waaaaay better than any other GMT handset I've seen. The dial is the best finished, with perfect lume application (the VRF is just sloppy) and the lume is almost perfect (the minute hand is a little weak, common with ARF lately). And without a doubt, the bezel insert is the best rep made.

But then there's the movement....

I don’t usually consider the bracelet when evaluating a watch because it can be easily switched. Every rep Rolex I have is paired with a different bracelet than it originally came with, with the exception of an ARF and GMF. To compare this purchase to a vehicle, it’s like buying a car because it has good tires. Imo. And the lugs on the ARF are so boxy and bulky. And talking about a buying a new watch with a questionable movement is like buying a car with a bad engine. Which can suck, especially if you’re not a mechanic.

ARF does a lot of great things, especially as their machining work is excellent. They cut and finish every surface and edge so well. Whether on the bracelet or their hands.

Last edited:
Reactions: buzz483 and KJ2020

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
I don’t usually consider the bracelet when evaluating a watch because it can be easily switched. Every rep Rolex I have is paired with a different bracelet than it originally came with, with the exception of an ARF and GMF. To compare this purchase to a vehicle, it’s like buying a car because it has good tires. Imo. And the lugs on the ARF are so boxy and bulky. And talking about a buying a new watch with a questionable movement is like buying a car with a bad engine. Which can suck, especially if you’re not a mechanic.

ARF does a lot of great things, especially as their machining work is excellent. They cut and finish every surface and edge so well. Whether on the bracelet or their hands.

A movement is so easily replaced tho .... if I wanted a LN I would have to get the ARF and get a vr3185 for it .... rhe ARF has a lot going for it....

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
A movement is so easily replaced tho .... if I wanted a LN I would have to get the ARF and get a vr3185 for it .... rhe ARF has a lot going for it....

ARF minute and GMT hands are known to fit too loosely on the VR hands wheels. The hands hole collars have to be crimped to make them stay. This is not an optimal arrangement - crimping can deforrm the hole surrounds. If you use VRF hands you'll have a lume mismatch with the dial. If I were making an ARF/VRF combo it would be ARF caseset plus VRF movement/dial/hands. Clean and easy swap.

Reactions: saucin

Hazing

9/5/19
I don't know if I agree. I mean maybe if you linger around the forum and know modders or have some experience and basic tools but I think it is fair to say 99% of rwi members aren't capable of making this switch. Off of the boards, I'd say that number is probably closer to 99.9%.

ETA:
And when you think of it from a cost perspective, changing the movement costs 50% of the initial purchase price. Which is something we've become used to on the forum, but to the average person, spending $500 on a watch and then spending another $250 (and an additional 2 weeks to a month) to have a movement swapped out is a lot.

I think the moral of the story.... VRF would be doing so much better and so much more of a contender if they fixed 1 detail and that is the insert.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rabl253

Supporter
Certified
1/2/19
I think the moral of the story.... VRF would be doing so much better and so much more of a contender if they fixed 1 detail and that is the insert.

+1 I couldn't agree more with everything said in this post. I think the most important parts of these GMTs are: Insert quality, movement reliability, handset, dial, case & strap finishing, in that order.

Noleex

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
8/11/18
Just finished, ARF 116710LN with VR3185, ARF Dial and Hands, gen DW ;-)

2-EA76988-1260-40-B3-A976-88-C2-DAE83-D54.jpg

5996-F31-C-301-B-4-EE1-9-A81-CF0-FA7-E40-CEE.jpg

Last edited:

saucin

Renowned Member
20/4/20
ARF minute and GMT hands are known to fit too loosely on the VR hands wheels. The hands hole collars have to be crimped to make them stay. This is not an optimal arrangement - crimping can deforrm the hole surrounds. If you use VRF hands you'll have a lume mismatch with the dial. If I were making an ARF/VRF combo it would be ARF caseset plus VRF movement/dial/hands. Clean and easy swap.

+1 Great minds think alike. That’s the way I’m doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020

Dissemination

Renowned Member
15/6/19
San Jose, CA
I haven't seen a VRF in person, but the first thing I was blown away on is the quality of the hands on the ARF I got. To me, that 3D effect of the hands goes a VERY long way towards looking like well machined piece of jewelry vs a toy. Secondly, the bezel assembly feels great when rotating (to some people this might not matter, and understandably so. But to me, this is a difference maker of jewelry vs toy). Thirdly, the case on the ARF is awesome. Completely opposite to ARF's normally super boxy sub cases lol. In fact I love the case shape so much I wish I could just use it for a Sub franken. PLUS the case back is slimmer than VRF which goes a good way towards how it feels and sits on the wrist. Even the ARF xtal was pretty good.

I had bought all my parts for a franken before I even had the watch, but wondered if it was even worth frankening to be honest! Lol. But i did and I love it so I guess it was worth it.

Noleex

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
8/11/18
I haven't seen a VRF in person, but the first thing I was blown away on is the quality of the hands on the ARF I got. To me, that 3D effect of the hands goes a VERY long way towards looking like well machined piece of jewelry vs a toy. Secondly, the bezel assembly feels great when rotating (to some people this might not matter, and understandably so. But to me, this is a difference maker of jewelry vs toy). Thirdly, the case on the ARF is awesome. Completely opposite to ARF's normally super boxy sub cases lol. In fact I love the case shape so much I wish I could just use it for a Sub franken. PLUS the case back is slimmer than VRF which goes a good way towards how it feels and sits on the wrist. Even the ARF xtal was pretty good.

I had bought all my parts for a franken before I even had the watch, but wondered if it was even worth frankening to be honest! Lol. But i did and I love it so I guess it was worth it.

ARF is the best out of the box solution for a GMT, if you are lucky you can hunt a VRF dial and DW, the markers a bit nicer and the font of the DW is more gen like but it’s a minimal tell, even if you have the newer v2 ARF. Outdoor there is a slightly difference on the xtal, the gen is a bit clearer and has less reflections, but this is very hard to catch if you don’t have a reference beside, and even impossible indoor.

here is a link where I compare ARF vs gen Crystal (left is the ARF, right is the noob with gen crystal

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...34-arf-batman-vs-noob-batman-with-gen-crystal

Reactions: Dissemination

Dissemination

Renowned Member
15/6/19
San Jose, CA
ARF is the best out of the box solution for a GMT, if you are lucky you can hunt a VRF dial and DW, the markers a bit nicer and the font of the DW is more gen like but it’s a minimal tell, even if you have the newer v2 ARF. Outdoor there is a slightly difference on the xtal, the gen is a bit clearer and has less reflections, but this is very hard to catch if you don’t have a reference beside, and even impossible indoor.

here is a link where I compare ARF vs gen Crystal (left is the ARF, right is the noob with gen crystal

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...34-arf-batman-vs-noob-batman-with-gen-crystal

I have only heard of the potential problem of fitting ARF hands on vr3185 just now, but I was thinking it would be a great Mashup to buy both, and use VR movement, dw, dial, and everything else ARF.