• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My first Batman insert Paintmod - Pics

Noleex

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
8/11/18
Today I came up with a new mixed color that hides the metallic particles. The surface of the numbers are now much smother and softer but still has the gen like platinum effect. What you think guys check the pics:

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
The rough texture comes partially from the marker cutouts not being completely smooth after the paint is dug out, but more from metallic paint having particles in it that give it the sparkle. I recently bought a different manufacturer paint that has much smaller particles and am going to try it soon. I need to wait for warmer weather as I have no indoor space in which to paint.

Alclad is very good, if airbrushed. Hand painting is usually ok if you apply it thinned and sparingly. It can goop up the brush if you are not careful.

Also, there are "super metallic" paints from Mr. Hobby/Mr. Color that have extremely fine particles. I used to paint miniatures a long time ago. The background MUST be black for it to give the best results. I recommend Titanium color or Stainless.

DSC_0469.jpg

DSC_0687.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Alclad is very good, if airbrushed. Hand painting is usually ok if you apply it thinned and sparingly. It can goop up the brush if you are not careful.

Also, there are "super metallic" paints from Mr. Hobby/Mr. Color that have extremely fine particles. I used to paint miniatures a long time ago. The background MUST be black for it to give the best results. I recommend Titanium color or Stainless.

DSC_0469.jpg

DSC_0687.jpg

Interesting bro. So I would paint the marker cutouts black first, then Titanium as an example? I'm always up for trying something new.

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Interesting bro. So I would paint the marker cutouts black first, then Titanium as an example? I'm always up for trying something new.

I recommend:

1. Remove the existing paint with thinner (probably lacquer thinner), with a q tip that has low linting properties. Hobby Q tips are expensive but work very well
2. Airbrush (or lightly paint with thinner mixed in) the markers
3. Wait for it to dry
4. Remove excess paint with qtip soaked in lighter fluid or lacquer thinner (LT will be dangerous, ensure there is LESS fluid in the tip than more). Be prepared to use 10+ Q tips for this part, as you want each stroke to have no paint on the Q tip when you go in for the stroke.

Here are the different colors Alclad has. Both them and Mr. Color are premium paints with extremely fine ground metallic particles on the caliber of what Rolex is utilizing right now.

fC5nt7oBW7yMO4dBVBzrMsuoRbUPWqzncOCb2XCGNBOtrKYFq50kBhx0xzPFjNjUltGVpEvPVasbDwk8lBQnL-3M1cg9usdOn_s

SNYqTcYDUqEYpcb25hTrmMsCG8ZhclI6O5VolfuUokz0kwIACM74O47hsix7RX2CVKHEIC3KqQ-ClZk_qrThscFc1XwnG0kSQ0k

Last edited:

Noleex

Banned
8/11/18
I recommend:

1. Remove the existing paint with thinner (probably lacquer thinner), with a q tip that has low linting properties. Hobby Q tips are expensive but work very well
3. Wait for it to dry
4. Remove excess paint with qtip soaked in lighter fluid or lacquer thinner (LT will be dangerous, ensure there is LESS fluid in the tip than more). Be prepared to use 10+ Q tips for this part, as you want each stroke to have no paint on the Q tip when you go in for the stroke.

Here are the different colors Alclad has. Both them and Mr. Color are premium paints with extremely fine ground metallic particles on the caliber of what Rolex is utilizing right now.

fC5nt7oBW7yMO4dBVBzrMsuoRbUPWqzncOCb2XCGNBOtrKYFq50kBhx0xzPFjNjUltGVpEvPVasbDwk8lBQnL-3M1cg9usdOn_s

SNYqTcYDUqEYpcb25hTrmMsCG8ZhclI6O5VolfuUokz0kwIACM74O47hsix7RX2CVKHEIC3KqQ-ClZk_qrThscFc1XwnG0kSQ0k

I like your paintjob if this plane, that looks cool, anyway I love planes ;-)

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I recommend:

3. Wait for it to dry

Just ordered Mr. Color Super Metallic 2 Super Gold 2 and Mr. Color Super Metallic 2 Super Titanium 2 along with Mr. Color leveling thinner.

I had previously tried the PPPP capillary paint mod which recommended a ratio of 4 parts thinner to 1 part paint. This mix was too runny I thought and the triangle in particular was a problem because the mix would run to the corners and be thicker there than in the middle. Do you have a recommendation on a mix of paint to thinner? This would be brush applied. IDK if brushing it on is better than a capillary method, any advice?

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...rocedure/page2

Also I don't quite understand what you meant by the "background MUST be black". Do I need to put a coat of black in the cutouts before adding the silver or gold?

Last edited:

Noleex

Banned
8/11/18

DSC_0469.jpg

DSC_0687.jpg

The major problem is that silver or metallic steal, titanium or what ever metal you paint on will be not the right tone, a gen is not silver or metallic, it’s kind of white metallic, only slightly light gray, but only a silver paint will be the wrong color. It’s not easy to catch the right tone and be as smooth as a gen ;-)

Noleex

Banned
8/11/18
Here is an example of a silver paint only, it’s a significant tell between silver an a platinum gen.

this is way I spent so much time getting the right color:

Reactions: tim03

tim03

Known Member
8/1/19
United Kingdom
Here is an example of a silver paint only, it’s a significant tell between silver an a platinum gen.

this is way I spent so much time getting the right color:

Honestly that looks fantastic. Massive progress you have made from the old to the new, kudos for the perseverance mate!

Sent from the RWI App

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Honestly that looks fantastic. Massive progress you have made from the old to the new, kudos for the perseverance mate!

Sent from the RWI App

+1. New one looks great!! The color is closer to gen finish.