• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My first Batman insert Paintmod - Pics

Noleex

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
8/11/18
Today I tried my first paint mod on an Aftermarket insert I had around. Well it’s not the best insert because the engraved numbers are not really deep. But the transition at 6 is perfect only at 18 it’s slightly off. But it was good to go for a try.

My first result was way off from a gen, much too metallic and silver (it looks not bad but wrong). So I repeated. It really tooks me a few tries to figure out the right color. At the end I come up with a good match. I had a gen Batman in today just shortly so there was no time to make any pics with my mod but it was very close I can tell (the metallic of my paint is lightly colder then the gen, but it is much closer than all my noobs are). In this thread you see the difference between a noob and gen.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/rolex-tudor-replicas/6836771-blnr-insert-noob-vs-gen

here are my pics I took in comparison with the noobs and ARF I have, let me know what you think ;-)

Reactions: Nivka

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
It looks really good overall bro! On the wrist you won't see most of the texture, just bright beautiful silver. You've reached an upoer echelon in decent looking rep Batman inserts, it's a big leap ahead. I felt a huge boost in satisfaction with my rep after doing mine.

I did notice a few of your cutout sidewalls appear to have some small dark spots at the top where they join the flats. The 0 in 20, the 6 in 16 for example. IDK if that's just paint particles reflecting light differently there, or if maybe a few flecks of paint were pulled out with the razor blade during removal. How long did you let it dry? Those spots could be easily touched up with a Posca pen if you are so inclined.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JV...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyway really nice effort, it's so much better wearing a Batman with an insert you don't hate! Great work!

Last edited:

Noleex

Banned
8/11/18
I used a heating gun to burn in the paint, let it cool down and cut off the overpaint. Will post a video later on

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I used a heating gun to burn in the paint, let it cool down and cut off the overpaint. Will post a video later on

Interesting. I thought about baking mine. Might try that on my next one.

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
This is starting to look really interesting... I already knew about KJ's efforts to mod a Batman insert and now Noleex, yours look great too. Commendable effort here. As KJ said, personal satisfaction is what counts.Your insert numbers depth looks quite good compared to the aftermarket ones I have seen. A few suggestions (hope you take it the right way). Maybe its my eyes or the camera, so please take it for what it is worth.
1- Your paint color in the pics seem a tad bit more white (Gen is more of a greyish silver shade indoors turning brighter with light). Can you post some pics in natural sunlight and indoors side-by-side?
2 - Most of the Mods tend to make the numbers look rough because the paint shade is not smooth and doesn't shine evenly on all the areas of the engraved digits. While it may not be noticeable on the wrist, it bothers me a lot because I get to see a gen insert everyday (colleague of mine). Maybe it is the drying process or how it is applied or maybe the paint color itself, not sure if we will ever get the gen like finish with aftermarket mods.

Thanks for sharing the pics, looking forward to your tutorial...

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The rough texture comes partially from the marker cutouts not being completely smooth after the paint is dug out, but more from metallic paint having particles in it that give it the sparkle. I recently bought a different manufacturer paint that has much smaller particles and am going to try it soon. I need to wait for warmer weather as I have no indoor space in which to paint.

Reactions: srhoque

Noleex

Banned
8/11/18
KJ that’s right on my first try I used a different silver with bigger particles, the latest try has much smaller particles that smooth the surface a lot, but it’s still not smooth like gen. The color in real light is really not bad, it’s a decent silver getting more darker in shadow, and appears lighted up silver (kind of white) in the sun, checkout my video to see how it reflects in sunlight and in shadow.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Big step up bro. Admittedly the factory and aftermarket offerings are a low starting point, but I wear mine regularly without any negative thoughts about the insert. In fact I catch myself thinking, "Hey that looks nice" a few times a day, haha.

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Can you share a pic of what brand of paint you are using? Thanks!

Noleex

Banned
8/11/18
First I used a metallic silver paint only, that was way to silver and dark, so I tried a little bit mixing colors and metallic particles together to get the right tone. So its not a out of the box spry, it really took me a few tries to get it right. I don‘t know the brands of the paint I used need to check it tomorrow.

Rolly123

17/11/18
First I used a metallic silver paint only, that was way to silver and dark, so I tried a little bit mixing colors and metallic particles together to get the right tone. So its not a out of the box spry, it really took me a few tries to get it right. I don‘t know the brands of the paint I used need to check it tomorrow.

Can you give me some tips of how to do this? I have a Daytona rose gold 116515 where the rose colour has come off to reveal the white paint underneath...

Did you use spray paint? Does it wipe off the ceramic segment whilst wet? Keen to not ruin this thing!

Kev4832

Looking Around
5/4/20
Hi all. Completely new here / to this area. I have a gen (v.2.0) BLNR on jubilee, and understand that, with the right spring-bars, you can switch to an oyster. Is it possible to purchase a high-quality after market oyster with PCL? If yes, can anyone point me in the right direction please? Huge thanks.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hi all. Completely new here / to this area. I have a gen (v.2.0) BLNR on jubilee, and understand that, with the right spring-bars, you can switch to an oyster. Is it possible to purchase a high-quality after market oyster with PCL? If yes, can anyone point me in the right direction please? Huge thanks.

Any TD can source parts. Their willingness to do so can vary with the size of your order and your established relationship with them. You should get more familiar with reps and TDs and the whole purchasing process. There is never a guarantee any rep bracelet will fit any rep or gen watch other than the one it came on. There is no exact standardization between factories on SEL shape or springbar detent placement, etc.

That said, ARF bracelets are generally known to be both the best quality and the most interchangeable. So off the top of my head, I would say ask Ryan from Intime to source the bracelet only from this watch for you.

https://www.intime05.co/rollie/6464...4l-steel-arf-1-1-best-edition-sh3186-chs.html

You can always flip a new unwrapped bracelet here quite easily if the fit is not acceptable.

ARF DJ36 PCL oyster on my gen 16710 with gen springbars. Fits like it was made for it.

15391192269581.jpg

Kev4832

Looking Around
5/4/20
Wow. Thank you for such a helpful and comprehensive response. Massively appreciated.

Reactions: KJ2020

Noleex

Banned
8/11/18
Today I tried to fix the speedbumbs ob the BLNR Noob insert with a good result I think, what you think guys ?

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
KJ that’s right on my first try I used a different silver with bigger particles, the latest try has much smaller particles that smooth the surface a lot, but it’s still not smooth like gen. The color in real light is really not bad, it’s a decent silver getting more darker in shadow, and appears lighted up silver (kind of white) in the sun, checkout my video to see how it reflects in sunlight and in shadow.

This is what I’m always saying. Everyone makes a big deal about the transition point and in the first few seconds, as you slowly move the insert around to show which in my opinion pretty much mimicks the movement of the wrist, you can not focus in on the transition point at all.

Ive seen a few in the wild and tried to look and see and can’t casually see any of the details close enough (on most models) to tell whether it’d rep or gen. I mean color (the brownish red on a noob BLRO or ARF dark green on a hulk) is noticeable but small details, no way. Not unless they hold or start inspecting the watch.

I think i have this same insert and might start trying it myself.

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Today I tried to fix the speedbumbs ob the BLNR Noob insert with a good result I think, what you think guys ?

What did you do? I al2ays thought it was something that was physical on the insert. Like where they dipped them and it was built up or something. I’ve never seen a watch (or owned a watch) that had a speed bump so never saw what they were. Although I do have the gmf incoming although it looked really good in qc so we’ll see but just in case.

Ive heard people say the blue is painted on but that cant be because it would scratch off.

Noleex

Banned
8/11/18
By the way here is a stock aftermarket insert with and without paintmod, see the difference? I have this one in the sale section right now if somebody is interested.