• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review 2020 Noob 127610BLNR: Canal St Tendencies meet good build quality

AlexanderDerGrosse

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/1/20
Note: if Noob sends me a better version I am happy to amend this review!

Hi Guys,

I have finally received my 126710BLNR that I ordered only a few weeks ago. Its the Noob version with the clone A3285 movement. Before I dive into the details that I do not like, I'd like to give you an overall impression of the watch.

YxTVn.jpg

The watch came well packed with a nice bezel protector, all the stickers on and my first impression was very positive. The weight was spot on, and the overall feel to it was immaculate.

Yxdi3.jpg

It makes a very good impression in a genuine Rolex box (although it is the pre 2016 version), doesn't it?

Yxkps.jpg

I first conducted a quick lume check - spot on - and it holds its luminescence for a reasonable amount of time:

YxwGY.jpg

Next thing I did was to hook it up to my amateurish timegrapher which isn't that amateurish after all since it's matching the results I have seen on a more sophisticated device before.
+8s a day, beat error of 0.1ms and an amplitude 279deg is very unsatisfying but hey ... I will service the movement anyway. Let us see how well it runs then:

YxMLD.jpg

When I took a closer look at the watch, I got this awkward canal street feeling. Lets focus on the bezel for now. It is feral, and I can't think of any way they could have make it look worse.

YxRVS.jpg

Do you see the weird "gaps" or "lines" where the blue and the black parts join? Also, when you take a look at the "18" ... you see that the blue is kind of penetrating the inside of the 8? This is not how it should look and in my eyes resembles the worst quality Canal St has to offer:

GEN is left, Canal St is right:

YxFiQ.png
YxGCL.png

In this photo, you can also see the bad alignment of the rehaut - the markers line up perfectly with the middle of the R's on the Gen, yet are crooked on the Noob.

The dial isn't any better either. It has a completely different font and the gaps between the letters are way off:

- in "Officially Certified" the "O" is too high and not aligned with the rest of the text
- In "GMT Master" the "TER" in Master is too high (or its an optical illusion and the S is too low), for whatever reason - maybe a shaky hand when hand painting?
- Font is way thinner on the Noob

The Hands are not any better - in fact they are just as Canal St as the Bezel:
In the hour hand for example, you see the "Mercedes" triangle. On the Gen, this part is way thinner than the outer white gold frame of the hand. Not so much in the Noob version,. the thickness is the same. Furthermore, the second hand pin is hollow on the Noob and solid/curved on the gen.

YxSGR.png

Clasp is alright, but under magnification you see that the crown has been welded on:

Yxc31.jpg

All in all a nice watch, but with heaps of flaws. For around 650$ too many flaws for my liking. My conclusion is: if you value resemblance with the genuine thing, you have to Franken it it with a better dial, gen hands and a proper bezel. I will Franken out all parts that have Rolex markings on them and swap them for the genuine thing, plus a gen Bezel insert and a proper Trilock crown tube for better waterproofing.

Last edited:

DeLoMan

3/2/19
Thanks for the review. I agree, for $650 it should be better than this.

ABC123

22/8/07
USA
Seems like the pics are not loading...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
I think you are giving it a bit of a hard time and looking only at the flaws you know to look at and that's why they bother you so much. And the flaws which you don't know to look at which are more obvious than some of the ones you are pointing out don't end up in the canal street category and won't bother you because you just don't know they are there. Although they are more obvious :)

Reactions: AlexanderDerGrosse

AlexanderDerGrosse

22/1/20
Do you mind sharing the other flaws?
Btw: Just ordered a gen second hand, a better aftermarket bezel, gen 7030 crown tube and 704 crown!

Rubberman

Forever young
Patron
Certified
9/12/17
I'll be interested to know if gen second hand will fit this fake 3285

Reactions: tripdog

Rubberman

Forever young
Patron
Certified
9/12/17
And your "note" highlighted in RED is a good try ;)

IntenseImage

16/6/19
Until we can get a solid clone CHS movement with a good bezel, I'll continue to be happy with my DHG shitter. Just wish it had a proper jubilee on it (which is why it lives on rubber now)

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
Do you mind sharing the other flaws?
Btw: Just ordered a gen second hand, a better aftermarket bezel, gen 7030 crown tube and 704 crown!

Sure? You'll life will be a lot easier if you don't know them :)

Firstly check the dial pics. Noob has those 6 and 9 o'clock markers very fat compared to the gen. Can be clearly seen from the dial pics you have uploaded (6 marker). To go more into detail than check the 6, 9, and 12 marker corners. They are nice and rounded on the gen but sharp on the Noob (6 is visible from your pics). But for me the marker corners are not a big issue.

Not sure but if it's your first rep then if you one day get a lower end one like a 200-300 USD BP than you'll start to appreciate the Noob and it starts to feel and look quite good and gen like. In the other end if you get one those new ARF and ZZF latest Subs you'll throw that Noob Batman out of the window right away.

This is what happened with me at least.

Reactions: OldNavitimer

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
What makes me a bit upset is that even a 18$ cheapie from DHGate can get the bezel right (Source).

That $18 price is if you purchase 29+ Waterproof Services.

DHGate prices take a little scrutiny to understand, and some elements are not visible on the mobile site. Switch your view to 'Desktop site' and you see the default item selection is the Waterproof Service at maximum quantity.

Now choose ONE watch, and note that the price reflected is $137.

Also, I would bet that the markers on this insert are white. Nearly every aftermarket insert has thin, shallow, white markers. You can make a decent insert out of one, as you noted it has correct color transition points. Doing a paint mod on one requires first digging out all the white paint since the markers are shallow and full and no more paint will either stick or fit.

The new Noobs are a serious let down from previous versions.

They have the 2824 timebomb movement

Why CHS GMT movements fail

The bezel design was changed to a greatly inferior one

Noob GMT's poor bezel design

The newest batch of cases has grossly misaligned rehaut engravings, previously this was a hallmark of perfection on a Noob.

They are ridiculously overpriced, even by recent jacked up rep pricing. They are $100 or more higher than even the nearest competitor GMF, and about $200 higher than a BP.

Here's my Noob V8 2836 ICHS with an aftermarket paint modded insert

15710886370782.jpg

Here's two recent BP purchases for comparison, these sell for about $308, I paid $288 each with a discount

15805847529557.jpg

15802350829650.jpg

Reactions: lambo79

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I'll be interested to know if gen second hand will fit this fake 3285

A gen second hand would need to be broached slightly to fit, though I can't imagine doing this as an upgrade. The 2824 CHS timebomb movement is not worth wasting the money on. You would be better off swapping to a VR3185 movement and using all gen or gen-spec aftermarket hands.

H/M/S

3185 hand size 140/95/22
28xx hand size 150/90/25

AlexanderDerGrosse

22/1/20
Alright .../ I am in the process of swapping the bad quality Noob bezel for a better option and I figured that the old bezel obviously was not pressure fitted but just glued in. Do you know if this is the common way to do it on reps?

Reactions: Pope

AlexanderDerGrosse

22/1/20
Lets do it properly ... while I am waiting for the CNC guys to machine the new spring, I thought I might install a new gen crown and crown tube too! I had to polish it myself as the only crown I had was a gen matte Submariner crown!

Looks stunning now! It's the 703/704 transitional crown, Trilock, the 7030 crown tube has been fixed with Loctite 222, has all gen and nicely greased gaskets, and looks absolutely stunning.

13zNS.jpg
13K9L.jpg
13HKQ.jpg
13AD8.jpg
13hMR.jpg

Last edited:

chubbychaser911

31/10/19
That bezel insert is a major let down. they didn't do that poorly on the Pepsi. Also I know that with their V10 Submariner they upgraded the insert to a friction plate insert right? I have a V9 submariner and it is indeed glued in. Wow I wonder if Noob is going to do this shit to all of their products now.

AlexanderDerGrosse

22/1/20
The rep crown tube is also shit! Here a comparison between rep and gen 7030: The rep tube comes with three gaskets only as opposed to four on the gen! I assume that the mid case to tube gasket at the bommom/thread side is missing! When you look closely, the rep crown tube is slightly different from the gen having an extra metal "ring" for the fourth gasket that seals the case/tube joint.

Noob just glued the tube in, probably compensating for the missing fourth seal ... its all modded and changed to gen now!
In this regard: the 1:1 same as gen version fallacy is kind of questionable. While I did fit a gen tube to the case, the threads were completely off and I had to cut a new thread to the tube hole.

I guess it's clear which one's the gen in these pictures:

13oKc.jpg
13Isi.jpg
13q9X.jpg

Last edited: