• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hulk Bezel corrosion help

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
I have a Loco bezel that was plated by Sponge.

It appears to have developed some corrosion and I cant tell if its over the plating or came from beneath.

Is there a way to remove this corrosion? I want to use some alcohol, but dont know if that will help or destroy the Spongebob coating

Thoughts?

20200225-134703.jpg

20200225-134700.jpg

20200225-134703.jpg

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
did you ask Spongebob , he would probably be able to advise what to try ....

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
Tried but I must have an old email. Believe me, I have nothing but respect for his work and would never disparage him

This is the mail system at host mail.chu.edu.tw.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Only way I've ever been able to reach Steve is via PM. He's always been pretty responsive, a day or two tops.

Hope your corrosion is superficial and maybe something can eat it away. Please post back. Any idea how this happened, exposure to salt water or anything unusual?

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Are you sure it's not dirt/grease/BigMac on the insert ?

Platinum doesn't corrode, except when exposed to certain chemicals:

"Platinum does not corrode in air at any temperature, but is corroded by halogens, cyanides, sulfur, and caustic alkalis".

If you haven't exposed the insert to any of the above chemicals then it shouldn't be corroding.

Have you contacted him via PM ?

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
I sent him a PM. I suspect its not the platinum but the metal below....I live near the ocean and can tell you there is a lot of humidity here.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
There is no metal at all in a rep ceramic insert except the pearl cup. This would have to be a reaction with the paint mod if it is indeed corrosion and not some other foreign matter. Spongebob's platinum mod may not use real platinum, IDK.

Last edited:

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
Ahh, I actually thought it was a metal ring that the ceramic was baked on. Misunderstanding.

It's strange. there are two distinct colors. One is a brownish stain color and the other is a very light blue corrosion. I tried using distilled water to wipe it away with a qtip with zero effect. Im nervous about using alcohol or anything else at this point.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Ahh, I actually thought it was a metal ring that the ceramic was baked on. Misunderstanding.

It's strange. there are two distinct colors. One is a brownish stain color and the other is a very light blue corrosion. I tried using distilled water to wipe it away with a qtip with zero effect. Im nervous about using alcohol or anything else at this point.

Yeah I would wait for Steve to advise. Very interested in the outcome, I just got one from him.

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
UPDATE: Mr. Spongebob responded and suggested nail polish remover (and other cleaners) I will try tonight when I get home from work.

He also said if it does not work, he would be happy to replate.

Sponge has done lots of great work for me and others over the years. He is an absolute asset to our community!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Nice - the chemical in nail polish remover is acetone, so that's what Goof off is too. I would keep it away from the pearl cup glue as much as possible, it will eat away at the glue.

Last edited:

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Neither alcohol or the nail polish remover worked.

Have you tried good old hot soapy water ? There was a previous member with the same problem after a lot of suggestions and attempts I remember good old soap and water sorted it out .

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Neither alcohol or the nail polish remover worked.

Have you tried cleaning it with hot soapy water ? I remember a while back a member had a similar problem , after lots of suggestions and attempts soap and water sorted it out .

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
FYI, has happened with me as well on a YM platinum plated insert. I know that is metal (and this is ceramic) but the color pattern was the same. No amount of cleaning works.

Had to send it back to be replated. Good luck!!

Reactions: KJ2020

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
FYI, has happened with me as well on a YM platinum plated insert. I know that is metal (and this is ceramic) but the color pattern was the same. No amount of cleaning works.

Had to send it back to be replated. Good luck!!

I wonder if there is something along with the platinum that caused the problem....maybe copper? I dont know how the process works

srhoque

28/11/18
I wonder if there is something along with the platinum that caused the problem....maybe copper? I dont know how the process works

I have the same feeling. Some metal/chemical used in the plating is the culprit.

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
I have the same feeling. Some metal/chemical used in the plating is the culprit.

IF this is the case, then I might need to store my watch in a sealed environment. Or perhaps is there a clear coating I can put on it to seal it away from the air?

srhoque

28/11/18
IF this is the case, then I might need to store my watch in a sealed environment. Or perhaps is there a clear coating I can put on it to seal it away from the air?

Thankfully for me, it hasn’t happened again. Ever since the problem, I don’t clean the bezel with anything but warm water.
Good luck!!