• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Arf datejust v3 REVIEW : franken with gen dw

Countess Koscowicz

1/1/20
UK

First off big thanks to ado213 for the fast turnaround and brilliant work servicing and installing the gen dw onto the sh3135. These are obviously just my personal opinions.

Overall really impressed with quality of the v3. Here’s a brief review in no particular order:

Crystal: much improved and have spoke with people who’ve installed the gen xtal on the v3 just because they had it but agree it’s no longer essential. Nice frame around the date and black hole. The cyclops is perfect is correct magnification.

Rehaut: nice and neat, especially at this size no one is carrying a loupe around with them.

The dial: dial is so good at 36mm it’s hardly worth swapping out for gen. coronet is well placed and print is great. Dial markers catch the light very well too.

Datewheel: In all honesty the stock dw is much improved on the v3. The clarity and finish is not comparable to gen though. The photo with the date at 28 is arf. The red 9 photos are gen obviously. No longer a must change but I’m glad I did.

Here is the stock v3:
Here’s the gen:

Crown: I’m not a fully fledged expert but it looks very well done to me.

Case: polishing lugs etc are all as they should be. Caseback knurling is excellent.

Bracelet: the arf jubilee is superb. Looks and feels identical to gen. polishing is impeccable and catches the light so well. Clasp is solid and makes the same satisfying snap when fastened. Rolex etching on clasp steelinox etc very well done.

Bezel: rhodium coating is impressive and the fluted bezel looks no different to the gens I have had it next to in my opinion

Hands: often rep hands don’t have that shine or finish of gen. But again at this size they look amazing.

Movement: sh3135 needs no introduction. It was running smooth upon arrival but was immediately sent to ado for a service and dw install. Was running at +17 seconds but now appears to be keeping around +\- 2 seconds or so. Date jumping is slick and smooth winding is lovely. Fingers crossed it holds out. Glad I didn’t shell out for reversing wheels etc now.

Overall: The v3 is a wholly impressive package, the 904L Steel and finishing of the watch take this into super rep status as far as I’m concerned. Now I have frankened with the gen dw it’s as close as you’re going to get if you’re looking for a 116234 without going gen. the bp/ djf from what I can see have a fair way to go to catch up ar factory with regards to overall fit and finish. Originally I intended to swap out the dial and xtal but with the v3 I don’t feel it’s a must anymore. Anyways hope you enjoy the review :)

Scottschu

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/2/20
The datewheel seems to be improved on the v3. I’m glad to hear more positive news for the sh3135 as I plan on ordering one soon with the updated ARF datewheel.

Countess Koscowicz

1/1/20
UK
The datewheel seems to be improved on the v3. I’m glad to hear more positive news for the sh3135 as I plan on ordering one soon with the updated ARF datewheel.

When I get home I’ll post a pic of the v3 dw ring, it’s obviously not as clear or glossy as a gen but certainly passable. I was speaking to a member who had a gen xtal and dial ready to go on the v3 and was going to do a dw swap but I’d happy with the dw as is.

The first qc I was sent appeared to have the thicker font so at this stage it may be pot luck if you receive the watch with the improvements. I asked to see a timegraph and apparently there was a problem with the movement before sending so had to wait for another watch to be sourced and new qc. The sh3135 is obviously temperamental so again imo I feel a service upon arrival is a must.

Countess Koscowicz

1/1/20
UK
Also meant to write in the title that this for the dj36 not 41. But I can’t edit the title, though I mention the 36 size a few times in the review :)

boonper

Known Member
21/4/15
I’m considering an ARF v3 Franken with gen white stick dial + gen roulette date wheel.

Is the ARF dial crown really that good out of the box? If so that can save a consideration amount of money :)

Reactions: irishjohn

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
qmQDQ.jpg
First off big thanks to ado213 for the fast turnaround and brilliant work servicing and installing the gen dw onto the sh3135. These are obviously just my personal opinions. [/QUOTE said:
Amazing watch mate, enjoy in good health!! Here is a pic of mine :)
Very similar specs as yours: ARF v2 Base, Gen Dial/Hands/Crystal/Crown, Gen roulette and lots of gen parts in a VR3135 movement.
qycdW.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: irishjohn

Countess Koscowicz

1/1/20
UK
I’m considering an ARF v3 Franken with gen white stick dial + gen roulette date wheel.

Is the ARF dial crown really that good out of the box? If so that can save a consideration amount of money :)

Take a look at the pics the dial and the crown are excellent ootb, the dial is especially good!

Countess Koscowicz

1/1/20
UK
srhoque

- looks lovely buddy! I’m amazed at how close they have got the black dial - the coronet on your gen is hat little bit better - as with any gen upgrade - with a watch of this quality it’s negligible but just that little bit better - I guess with all frankens it’s knowing when to stop! Haha! :)

thanks for sharing your watch mate! :)
Very similar specs as yours: ARF v2 Base, Gen Dial/Hands/Crystal/Crown, Gen roulette and lots of gen parts in a VR3135 movement

Last edited:
Reactions: srhoque

srhoque

28/11/18
srhoque

- looks lovely buddy! I’m amazed at how close they have got the black dial - the coronet on your gen is hat little bit better - as with any gen upgrade - with a watch of this quality it’s negligible but just that little bit better - I guess with all frankens it’s knowing when to stop! Haha! :)

thanks for sharing your watch mate! :)
Very similar specs as yours: ARF v2 Base, Gen Dial/Hands/Crystal/Crown, Gen roulette and lots of gen parts in a VR3135 movement

The coronet on the ARFs bother me because I am OCD :)

Regarding the v3 DW you have posted - I am not sure if it is your lighting but numbers look bold to me. On top of this, if the cyclops magnification is messed up (which ARF is known to have done like the DJ41), the date font will look too bold. Make the gen Date disc upgrade worth it.

Countess Koscowicz

1/1/20
UK
The coronet on the ARFs bother me because I am OCD :)

Regarding the v3 DW you have posted - I am not sure if it is your lighting but numbers look bold to me. On top of this, if the cyclops magnification is messed up (which ARF is known to have done like the DJ41), the date font will look too bold. Make the gen Date disc upgrade worth it.

The numbers are still a little bold especially in the double digits. Has improved though I feel from the v2, I included the 23 and 1 in my original post. But yeah I still feel the dw change is not a total must as with previous versions. But if you want to get as gen like as possible (as I do!) then it really is worth doing. The cyclops mag is pretty spot on now but as you said the dw is still slightly too thick which gives the larger number look under the cyclops. Not as noticeable but for me the dw makes the piece (well it is a datejust after all!) so I’m very happy with the finished result swapping to gen - it’s not just the size either the gen has a slightly more glossy and much sharper definition to the numbers :)

Reactions: srhoque

boonper

Known Member
21/4/15
Countess Koscowicz From what I can see the gen dial seem to have a small space in between the coronet and the rail track. On the ARF the coronet seems to be touching the rail track. Not sure if it’s due to the angle of the pics. Can you confirm?

Countess Koscowicz

1/1/20
UK
The coronet is amost touching the rail track on my v3 - this is what you will see on lots of gen 116234’s too

here is mine :

Here’s is a gen from google:

I believe the dj2 and 41 have it off the edge of the dial, but for the 116234 the coronet is correctly placed, or certainly not incorrectly placed as per gen

srhoque

28/11/18
The coronet is amost touching the rail track on my v3 - this is what you will see on lots of gen 116234’s too

here is mine :

Here’s is a gen from google:

I believe the dj2 and 41 have it off the edge of the dial, but for the 116234 the coronet is correctly placed, or certainly not incorrectly placed as per gen

DJ36 Gens have coronet very close to the rails. Some pics from my gen dials below

Reactions: Countess Koscowicz