• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tempted to buy a Gen Rolex Pepsi 5 digits

Ecender

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/10/18
Miami, Fl
Hi to all my RWI friends, I apologize in advance to open this thread here, if im misplacing it, please feel free to delete it and guide me where to post it.
Today i was offered this Gen Pepsi without box and papers. I know something about this model, but obviously not an expert (not even close). As a full disclosure I was informed (when I noticed it) that the insert was replaced with an aftermarket one, not sure what really happened with the Gen one, as the seller said he traded with a Batman to the former owner. Enclose pictures of the watch and the movement (got a video too, but its a heavy file), i think the movement is Gen. Offered price is $7,600.
Is the price fair? is the any other fake part that im missing?
It is a drilled lugs model, winding feels smooth, as well as the turning bezel, do not know when was its last service. doesn't look bad treated.
What do you think? Experts thoughts, comments, warnings are all welcome.
Thank you all and I appreciate for you taking the time.

Johnny_Ridden

Less is More
10/12/18
Can't say anything regarding the authenticity, but on chrono24 you can get fully genuine (no after market parts) and guaranteed 5 digit GMT's for maybe 200 dollars more.

Don't cave into the buying pressure! Give it 7 days and then come back; chances are you'll have moved on. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: estbren

Ecender

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/10/18
Miami, Fl
Can't say anything regarding the authenticity, but on chrono24 you can get fully genuine (no after market parts) and guaranteed 5 digit GMT's for maybe 200 dollars more.

Don't cave into the buying pressure! Give it 7 days and then come back; chances are you'll have moved on. Good luck!

Thank you for your reply. I’ve seen a lot of problems dealing with reps selling as gens over internet, so not that convince to use those plataforms.

Johnny_Ridden

Less is More
10/12/18
True, but if you buy from legitimate stores backed up by Chrono 24, then you are covered 100%. I would stay away from private auctioneers etc.
If the insert is aftermarket on that watch you are checking out, what else could be? Know what I mean?
Any case, $7600 is not a special deal at all.

estbren

Horology Curious
6/2/20
Michigan
True, but if you buy from legitimate stores backed up by Chrono 24, then you are covered 100%. I would stay away from private auctioneers etc.
If the insert is aftermarket on that watch you are checking out, what else could be? Know what I mean?
Any case, $7600 is not a special deal at all.

I agree with this, it’s not an insane deal worth taking a risk on. Generally those deals are too good to be true anyhow. If you’re ready to move on one immediately, I’ve also had great experiences on Chrono and I’d recommend purchasing from an authorized (high rated) seller - they have buyer protection.

ashu2289

I'm Pretty Popular
16/6/13
The watch looks good. Everything is looking genuine and legitimate and it appears that crystal has also been changed as it has lower magnification like newer replacements. Although it is Gen.
Take off the bracelet and also see the lugs engraving, that way you make sure the midcase is also all gen.
And seeing the condition and age of the watch, the deal is just OK and not great imho. Hope this helps.

Ecender

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/10/18
Miami, Fl
The watch looks good. Everything is looking genuine and legitimate and it appears that crystal has also been changed as it has lower magnification like newer replacements. Although it is Gen.
Take off the bracelet and also see the lugs engraving, that way you make sure the midcase is also all gen.
And seeing the condition and age of the watch, the deal is just OK and not great imho. Hope this helps.

thank you mate, i appreciate your comments.
I got the pics that were missing on the post.

Ecender

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/10/18
Miami, Fl
I’m sorry I uploaded the wrong case back, I took pics from a 16610 either. This is the correct one:

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
God, shows how little I know - I'd have thought it a mix of Gen/fake/Franken/rubbish. This place obviously makes me a cynic.

lamkinpark

Known Member
12/10/18
X serial should be year 1991 and doesn't match the clasp with code Z4 which is 1997 production year.

Ecender

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/10/18
Miami, Fl
Thanks mate I appreciate the info. I’m still considering this, but trying to get a better price deal.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The X serial puts it at a 1991 model. The clasp code Z4 indicates the clasp was made in April 1997, so it is not original. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-serial-numbers

The dial is in good shape. Something funny going on at the hand stack, can't quite make it out, looks like some dirt around a hand hole or one of them was mangled a little. The watch is in decent condition, the bezel teeth are a little worn. It definitely needs a service, that's $500 minimum, $750 by a certified Rolex watchmaker.

Regarding price, I could see $7K so you could get it serviced. But for a little more you could do a lot better.

Here's a pic next to my 1989 first year gen 16710. It came with a GMT Master (I) dial (transition model). It has a 3185 movement with independent GMT hand, unlike other GMT Master I's. I am the original owner. I've turned down $10K for it and doubt I will ever sell it.

15810947619520.jpg

There are a lot more pics of my gen in my 16710 BP vs Gen review

Ecender

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/10/18
Miami, Fl
KJ2020 Thank you so much, this is really helpful. I already offered $7K let’s see if he is willing to sell at that price point.

wildrabbit

Renowned Member
Supporter
11/8/18
I would pass. Hard.
You're going to run into some difficulties getting it serviced by a SC - unless you can verify that its actually been through them already.
And it definitely needs a service. Might be good for a daily beater - but terrible as an investment.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
There are plenty of independent Certified Watchmakers of the 21[SUP]st[/SUP] Century (CW21) who will service it for less than what an RSC charges. I use one that has no problem at all with mixed models or aftermarket parts. He can even get gen parts, so I wouldn't worry about that aspect of it. The ones I've dealt with over the years just want your business.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Maybe I missed how you are thinking about purchasing this, but personally I wouldn't buy anything of this value from a source that isn't very well known and highly regarded (like Bob's Watches or Chrono24). There are too many scammers out there and you don't know what you will get til you have it in hand. If you do have it, I would take it to an AD watchmaker and get it both authenticated and appraised. Mine does that without charge, but it's worth paying for if you have to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ecender